Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Not a military one but I have one from the British Royal Mail in "NATO-style", made of thick wool and haves a V-neck. It's warm and comfy to wear.

Yes I do remember those worn by the royal mail chaps, British Telecom guys also used to wear them too, they were used by other corporate firms for their staff too and still are today, generally in Navy Blue, Black and other colours as well, either in Vee neck or crew/round neck. I agree, those made of pure wool look good, they are very comfortable, warm and look good. I am wearing a moss green crew now infact.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
For many years now, the Woolly Pullies I wear have had straps on the shoulder patches (and some have pen-holders as well). However I have recently acquired a green Army crew neck WP that doesn't have the straps, just the patches. It is new but has a retro look, calling to mind the WPs I
first wore as a schoolboy in the 1970s and those worn by serving soldiers then as well. By the time I joined the Corps at school (early 80s) it was straps (and a school emblem just below the shoulder patch on the left arm).

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
For many years now, the Woolly Pullies I wear have had straps on the shoulder patches (and some have pen-holders as well). However I have recently acquired a green Army crew neck WP that doesn't have the straps, just the patches. It is new but has a retro look, calling to mind the WPs I
first wore as a schoolboy in the 1970s and those worn by serving soldiers then as well. By the time I joined the Corps at school (early 80s) it was straps (and a school emblem just below the shoulder patch on the left arm).

Yes I recall earlier Woolly Pullies not having straps on the shoulders, just the patches on the elbows and shoulders, one of my earlier olive green WPs was like like that and I do still have a navy one with no straps.I guess designs change a little over the years and I do also find the pen holder useful too. Rgds.

JFriday

New in Town
It is good to see this thread, as I have been wearing these sweaters shince my youth as well. I have worn them in multiple styles over the years, my fovourite and longest serving one being a British made dark blue in the traditional heavy cable knit, rough (what I term raw) wool. The knit on this one is extremely well done, it is very elastic and form fitting, and is of what was described to me as the field service pattern, without straps or any other features beyond the elbow and shoulder reinforcing patches. I have had it over 25 years, used it for hiking, landscaping and part time service with the post office while I was in university and it looks like it is almost new. The label, (surprisingly clear after all these years and hand washings/drycleanings), gives tremendous care guidance and sizing info but fails to indicate the original manufacturer. That said by comparing the knit count and fit style I suspect it is a product from Outdoor Knitwear, we were fortunate to have a shop that sold these sweaters locally, so this is the first time I have gone in search of the producer, given the great wear and lack of need for a replacement.

I still wear these daily as part of my uniform for my current career (they are an option item for us; I find them vastly more versatile than the issued fleece or softshell jackets, as they stay warmer when wet and breath when I enter a location with the heat way up), in the variety with straps as this is required for insignia, and while I welcome the convenience of the '"superwash" wools and acrylic blends I find their longevity is but a shadow of my original British Forces specification sweaters. Surplus is becomming rarer here, as the Canadian Forces have moved away from the pulley in recent years as an operational garment, with the Royal Canadian Navy retaining the sweater for some positions, (I am unsure if the RCAF members I ave seen are still issued or simply grandfather to the end of thier current supply), however the current issue seems to have abandoned the traditional double knit cabled look in favour of a finer single knit which while sharp looking lacks any of the resilience of its forbear.

Living where it rains copiously and much of the year, near the ocean where even after a hot day the nights can be shockingly cold and damp, one can attest to the wondrous design of this garment. Long live the commando pulley!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
JFriday, Welcome and thanks for your heart-warming post; clearly a kindred spirit! Is the Navy WP you describe your first one? If so, you have done well keeping it. I have worn them since I was a schoolboy. The first, the Army standard olive green, was when I was 11 and copying my form (grade in N.America) master at school (it was a very traditional boys’ school). That was followed quickly by Navy and Air Force blue versions and subsequently other colours such as dark green (Canadian style), black and chocolate brown. I have not been without them since, with the Army green and Navy blue as ‘constants’. At the moment I have a quite ridiculous number in my wardrobe: they are quite addictive and the existence of Outdoor Knitwear makes it easy.
At high school a green WP was part of the uniform for the Corps, which all boys joined around 14, and it kept me warm on many cold nights camping out. For a time I considered an Army career but I decided that I was not interested enough is sport (which would be mandatory) and so I pursued a more academic course instead (wearing a WP to keep warm in the cold school library).
Woolly pullies are a great invention and save a lot on heating bills! I wear them both for lounging around at home and for hiking/outdoor activities. They are durable and comfortable as well as in my view elegant. I am keen on wool sweaters generally but can’t think of a more consistently good one than the Woolly Pully! Best wishes, Aidan

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Yes I recall earlier Woolly Pullies not having straps on the shoulders, just the patches on the elbows and shoulders, one of my earlier olive green WPs was like like that and I do still have a navy one with no straps.I guess designs change a little over the years and I do also find the pen holder useful too. Rgds.
Yes, my first Army WP had no straps and I still have one that doesn't. But my other Army WP has straps and penholder - I also like the latter addition and find it useful.

simonc

Practically Family
WW11 sweater with a tootle scarf
CrTBm.jpg

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
It is good to see this thread, as I have been wearing these sweaters shince my youth as well. I have worn them in multiple styles over the years, my fovourite and longest serving one being a British made dark blue in the traditional heavy cable knit, rough (what I term raw) wool. The knit on this one is extremely well done, it is very elastic and form fitting, and is of what was described to me as the field service pattern, without straps or any other features beyond the elbow and shoulder reinforcing patches. I have had it over 25 years, used it for hiking, landscaping and part time service with the post office while I was in university and it looks like it is almost new. The label, (surprisingly clear after all these years and hand washings/drycleanings), gives tremendous care guidance and sizing info but fails to indicate the original manufacturer. That said by comparing the knit count and fit style I suspect it is a product from Outdoor Knitwear, we were fortunate to have a shop that sold these sweaters locally, so this is the first time I have gone in search of the producer, given the great wear and lack of need for a replacement.

I still wear these daily as part of my uniform for my current career (they are an option item for us; I find them vastly more versatile than the issued fleece or softshell jackets, as they stay warmer when wet and breath when I enter a location with the heat way up), in the variety with straps as this is required for insignia, and while I welcome the convenience of the '"superwash" wools and acrylic blends I find their longevity is but a shadow of my original British Forces specification sweaters. Surplus is becomming rarer here, as the Canadian Forces have moved away from the pulley in recent years as an operational garment, with the Royal Canadian Navy retaining the sweater for some positions, (I am unsure if the RCAF members I ave seen are still issued or simply grandfather to the end of thier current supply), however the current issue seems to have abandoned the traditional double knit cabled look in favour of a finer single knit which while sharp looking lacks any of the resilience of its forbear.

Living where it rains copiously and much of the year, near the ocean where even after a hot day the nights can be shockingly cold and damp, one can attest to the wondrous design of this garment. Long live the commando pulley!

Welcome to this thread, I agree with all you say here in favour of the traditional wool, woolly pully, which are so much better than fleece or made man fibres, I have quite a few of these and have been wearing them since my teenage years, (So quite a long time), I still have some of mine that are over 20 years old and they still look and feels as good as they were when I first bought them. Rgds.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
JFriday, Welcome and thanks for your heart-warming post; clearly a kindred spirit! Is the Navy WP you describe your first one? If so, you have done well keeping it. I have worn them since I was a schoolboy. The first, the Army standard olive green, was when I was 11 and copying my form (grade in N.America) master at school (it was a very traditional boys’ school). That was followed quickly by Navy and Air Force blue versions and subsequently other colours such as dark green (Canadian style), black and chocolate brown. I have not been without them since, with the Army green and Navy blue as ‘constants’. At the moment I have a quite ridiculous number in my wardrobe: they are quite addictive and the existence of Outdoor Knitwear makes it easy.
At high school a green WP was part of the uniform for the Corps, which all boys joined around 14, and it kept me warm on many cold nights camping out. For a time I considered an Army career but I decided that I was not interested enough is sport (which would be mandatory) and so I pursued a more academic course instead (wearing a WP to keep warm in the cold school library).
Woolly pullies are a great invention and save a lot on heating bills! I wear them both for lounging around at home and for hiking/outdoor activities. They are durable and comfortable as well as in my view elegant. I am keen on wool sweaters generally but can’t think of a more consistently good one than the Woolly Pully! Best wishes, Aidan

Well said, I agree with your comments. Rgds.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Simonc,
Looks very nice and is augmented by scarf and beard. I have a US version of this WWII sweater, produced by Eastman, but have not worn it for a long time.
Best wishes
Aidan

simonc

Practically Family
Thanks Aidan, I have been toying with cream submariner jumpers of late and am really enjoying them, will try to post some pics soon.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Yes, I wear one of those too, sometimes, and really like it. My staple sweaters are military 'woolly pullies', Guernseys and submariner.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
What style are the British submarine jumpers?
An American cold war sumariner would call the jumper that Simonc posted in his picture a submarine sweater.

The American military of the wooly pully is synthetic and pales in comparison to the British.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
What style are the British submarine jumpers?
An American cold war sumariner would call the jumper that Simonc posted in his picture a submarine sweater.

The American military of the wooly pully is synthetic and pales in comparison to the British.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Navy-Rollneck-Sub-Sweater/dp/B003L6CJ1I

See link above: this is the sub. sweater. 'Jumper' and 'Sweater' are synonymous in the UK.

I have a couple American friends who own and wear pure wool WPs and I think the wool version is optional for USMC and some other sections of US military. There are horrible synthetic imitations of the WP in the UK as well - they are to be avoided like the plague.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I have been looking for wool at the US military exchange uniform shops but I have only found acrylic on base. I had a few all wool blue ones several years ago but I have not found any new wool ones lately.

My favorites are my 60's dated green British jumpers.

I would not want to wear cream onboard a boat because I would be worried about it getting dirty, but I worked in a rather grimy part of the boat.

I use the terms jumper and sweater most of the time but when US Navy uniforms are involved the term jumper refers to the top of the enlisted dress uniforms.

simonc

Practically Family
I was concerned about stains, being a coffee drinker and dad. Feedback is, you will find the UK cream jumpers have so much lanolin in the wool that stains wipe away. Have with me anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR