Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mineral Make-UP

dolly

New in Town
I use EDM Original Glo in Light Olive. With Australis primer underneath & I buff it on with a Napoleon bronzing brush.

It's the best foundation i've ever used. Looks so natural & stays on all day.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Jane Iredale Pressed Powder is the mineral makeup I've been using for about 18-months. My skin is dry so it's important to moisturize before applying. The pressed powder goes on best with a more compacted brush (as opposed to the big brushes for loose powder, or bronzer/blush). The company claims the pressed powder has an SPF 20 and so far I really like it. Doesn't appear heavy or "makeup-y" at all.

Mary

Practically Family
I just baught MACs pressed one. I didn't know I should use a more compact brush. I think it works ok with the normal one, but great with new info.

Lily Powers said:
Jane Iredale Pressed Powder is the mineral makeup I've been using for about 18-months. My skin is dry so it's important to moisturize before applying. The pressed powder goes on best with a more compacted brush (as opposed to the big brushes for loose powder, or bronzer/blush). The company claims the pressed powder has an SPF 20 and so far I really like it. Doesn't appear heavy or "makeup-y" at all.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I had been using EDM and I do believe my skin became irritated from it.. I was soooo sad because I LOVE EDM. [huh]

So I went to Macy's and went back to my good ol Liquid Foundation from Presecriptives.. I do LOVE them and when I always end up using thier makeup some way or another :)

My skin is healing and no more bumpies! YAY!;)

Shirin

A-List Customer
LelaViavonie said:
I had been using EDM and I do believe my skin became irritated from it.. I was soooo sad because I LOVE EDM. [huh]

So I went to Macy's and went back to my good ol Liquid Foundation from Presecriptives.. I do LOVE them and when I always end up using thier makeup some way or another :)

My skin is healing and no more bumpies! YAY!;)

I like EDM, mostly the concealers, However, I use Pur as my foundation, and EVD for concealing, and then Micabella for my eyes. They have fantastic colors! However, unless you reapply often it doesn't stay on very long, maybe about 4 hours or so (in my experience). But if you add them (Micabella) with water, it stays about 7 hours.

Glad to hear your skin is healing.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lily Powers said:

Jane Iredale really is the best mineral makeup I've tried. The two downsides: It's more expensive than the other brands, and they have fewer shades. But the quality and fineness of the powder is superb!

Mary said:
I just baught MACs pressed one. I didn't know I should use a more compact brush. I think it works ok with the normal one, but great with new info.

Mary, a denser brush grips more powder and you apply more, while a fluffy brush tends to put more all over your room and clothes rather than on your face. lol It also depends on the way the tip of the brush and the ends of the hairs are shaped, you want something that grips your powder in stead of dusting it all over.

With mineral powder, I use a dense brush first, and then a big fluffy one afterwards (after letting it sit for 10 minutes) in order to remove excess.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I started using the Laura Mercier mineral foundation the other week and I LOVE it! Such a lovely dewy finish - no need to put a lot of it on and it pretty much stays all day. I got the Laura Mercier brush as well to apply it with and it goes on like a dream - I definitely won't be going back to liquid foundation.

Louise Anne

Suspended
It been a while since this was talked about maybe it's time to have another look at this thread , it's all over the place in shops now, and would be literally if I had any which I do not!
There must be something about it other wise it would have dies it's death by now.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I love mineral make-up. When it's applied properly, it gives the most flawless finish on any skin type. I recommend it to anyone with breakout problems, since it won't clog your pores like liquid foundation can. For those with dry skin, if applied over a good daytime moisturizer, it shouldn't have a drying effect (but everyone's skin is different.)

The trick is to apply it in light layers until you get your desired coverage. Use a large, fluffy brush for the best results (I don't personally like kabuki brushes - You can control a handle brush better). Shake some make-up into the top of the jar and plant your brush into it. Then, tap your brush against the side of the jar until all the excess comes off. Now apply the make-up to your face in soft, circular motions. Do this until you're satisfied with the finish.

BareEscentuals manufactures the very best mineral make-up I know of. Their Mineral Veil finishing powder is absolute perfection, and I think everyone should use it. :)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I think you *can* get good coverage out of mineral makeup, but it probably takes some work. I tend to prefer lighter, more sheer coverage. I'm not sure how it would work if you have problem areas such as dark circles or blemishes that you need to cover. I've heard it is very good for rosacea sufferers.

What I like most about mineral makeup is the light, sheer coverage, and the fact that it doesn't feel heavy or cakey. For hot humid weather, you simply cannot beat the light feel & staying power of mineral makeup. It lasts all day on me, and that's during August in Texas. In the winter, it is a bit too drying so I generally only use mineral makeup during the summers.

I do use a kabuki brush to apply mine. I find that mineral foundation and powder give a very nice airbrushed finish.

My favorite brand is Bare Escentuals. I love the foundations and the mineral veil powder. Some of their eye & cheek products contain too much shimmer for my taste, though, and a few times the blushes (which contain bismuth - some people have issues with that) have caused itching for me. For a super cheap alternative, I like ELF (eyes lips face) mineral eyeshadows & blushes. Same ingredients and same packaging as BE, but around $3/pop.

Last edited:

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I love BE, although like Fortworthgal i tend to use it more in the Summer. Having said that, what with my skin issues of late, i did decide to try it again the other day and it seemed to cover the little bits of pigmentation i had really well and some bits of psoriasis. I use the two face brushes from BE i got with the original starter kit. I do have a kabuki brush, but i find it doesn't really work for me as it seems to apply it a little too heavily for me. Ialso used a very rich moisturiser beforehand and let it sink in for about ten minutes, as i do have skin that is prone to being very dry, especially at the moment.

I think the key for me, is all in the application. Alot of my friends don't seem to get on very well with it, especially as we all have mature skin. It can give a bit of an ashen appearance, if not applied with a light touch and really buffed well. I tend to apply a second layer to problem areas and find the Mineral Veil to be a great powder for that soft focus finish. I don't know why i don't use it more...(yes i do, the price, ha ha and my allegiance to to Coty Airspun)!

Has anyone tried their concealer?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone tried their concealer?

It's not a bad concealer, like FWG says, but I prefer Benefit's Erase Paste. It's the only one I know of that blends in completely with your natural skin tone, and I once used it to cover up some particularly painful looking rosacea. You wouldn't have known the difference!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
You can use it under your eyes since it's brightening, but it won't work if you have anything beyond mild circles. Persistent dark circles would do well their Boi-ing concealer, which covers more, or if you have discolouration issues, Lemon Aid.

Of course, if you have the dough, YSL's Touche Éclat cannot be beat. :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I found the Bo-ing concealer very heavy and it settled in lines i didn't know i had under my eyes!

I don't have bad dark circles, just the dark circles you get when a kitten wakes you up by leaping on you at six every morning! I think i may try the Erase paste. Although we do have a BM concession in a salon nearby, so maybe i might beg a sample.

I do love the Touche Eclat, i tend to treat myself when i go to the airport, as you can get two-packs quite reasonably and i always gift one to my Mum. So that will be next year!

Thanks for the advice xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails