Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mineral Make-UP

pretty faythe

One Too Many
jitterbugdoll said:
Foundation powders, including mineral makeup, can be applied wet or dry, and when applied wet can further increase the coverage. Plus, powder foundations have the added advantage of relative ease of application, and eliminating an extra product/step—you don’t have to powder over them as you generally do with a liquid or cream foundation.

I am wondering how would one apply powder foundation wet? When I use liquid (which is rare) I always add a bit of water because I havent found one that I like the texture and adding the water always makes it a bit easier to blend into my skin and match more accurately. But I am very curious about the powder being applied wet.

Thanks so much!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Emmababy said:
I really can't get my head around using powder foundation. I just don't see how it can have the same coverage as liquid.
lol It's funny....I was SO skeptical like you before GOK sent me some samples. Even when trying the stuff on, I was not expecting to be won over. I was truly amazed at the coverage this has and it looks great. I actually use less make-up this way because I don't need the translucent powder. Or actually, this brings up a question, do I still need to wear powder over it?
Anyways Emma, it's definetely worth checking into:)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
pretty faythe said:
I am wondering how would one apply powder foundation wet? When I use liquid (which is rare) I always add a bit of water because I havent found one that I like the texture and adding the water always makes it a bit easier to blend into my skin and match more accurately. But I am very curious about the powder being applied wet.

Thanks so much!

It's actually really easy--most pressed compacts come with a sponge, which you dampen with water, swipe over the powder, and the 'roll' over your face. This method tends to give a slightly heavier application.

With a loose powder, as in the case of most mineral foundations, you simply mix a dab of water or moisturizer with a small amount of powder, or apply with a damp sponge.

Overall, powder foundations can be very quick and easy to apply, and you don’t usually end up with streaks or obvious lines of demarcation (providing you blend the makeup into your neck, just as you would with any foundation.) You can still over apply of course, but I find powders to be more user friendly, and if I can ever find a good color match in one (always a challenge no matter what type of foundation), I will probably use it almost exclusively.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
See I have the Bare Escentuals kind, and am so-so about it.

It doesnt -quite- provide the coverage over some unevenly colored spots that I had seen in the examples and the video...etc....

Its not a total loss, but maybe I am just doing something wrong....or a different brand might work better for me....

I usually use it when I am going to work and don't -really- care if my makeup looks perfect or not...and resort to different foundation the rest of the time.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
mysterygal said:
lol It's funny....I was SO skeptical like you before GOK sent me some samples. Even when trying the stuff on, I was not expecting to be won over. I was truly amazed at the coverage this has and it looks great. I actually use less make-up this way because I don't need the translucent powder. Or actually, this brings up a question, do I still need to wear powder over it?
Anyways Emma, it's definetely worth checking into:)

You shouldn't need to top with an additional powder unless the makeup has a shiny finish (Bare Minerals has a separate powder for this purpose) or if you need to touch up your makeup during the day.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:

It doesnt -quite- provide the coverage over some unevenly colored spots that I had seen in the examples and the video...etc....

Its not a total loss, but maybe I am just doing something wrong....or a different brand might work better for me....

There are more ways to apply it then just with a brush--I usually use a damp sponge, or mix some with a bit of moisturizer (sounds like an extra step but you don't have to apply moisturizer twice), apply with my fingers, and then top with a dusting of powder. It takes a bit of experimenting to find what works best, as some methods offer more coverage then others. And of course, not everyone ultimately loves the effects of mineral makeup (some people find it too drying, for example.)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
jitterbugdoll said:
There are more ways to apply it then just with a brush--I usually use a damp sponge, or mix some with a bit of moisturizer (sounds like an extra step but you don't have to apply moisturizer twice), apply with my fingers, and then top with a dusting of powder. It takes a bit of experimenting to find what works best, as some methods offer more coverage then others. And of course, not everyone ultimately loves the effects of mineral makeup (some people find it too drying, for example.)

Oooh..I will have to try some of those and see if its any better...

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:

I usually use it when I am going to work and don't -really- care if my makeup looks perfect or not...and resort to different foundation the rest of the time.
You may also need to apply some kind of yellow based concealor on the uneven spots to even out the skin tone before applying the foundation.
I've only tried two products, so I'm not exactly well informed in this area, but here they are,
1. Mellow yellow (which this stuff is what MK gave me to use-and hey, there's no reason to ague with a make-up professional, right?)
2. Mary Kay concealer in yellow

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi gals, I ordered some samples from Meow Cosmetics, and have found the right color for me, and have a ton that obviously aren't the right shade! If anyone wants any of them, they're free! I'll post the shades I have available in the Classifieds, or PM me.

jonniangel

One of the Regulars
Yes, I definitely had that problem when I used Bare Minerals and I eventually found it to be much too drying.

I've been using Aromaleigh for the past week and haven't had the sensitivity problems. Supposedly there's a specific ingredient in some mineral makeup that can irritate sensitive skin.

Miss_Bella_Hell

jonniangel said:
Yes, I definitely had that problem when I used Bare Minerals and I eventually found it to be much too drying.

I've been using Aromaleigh for the past week and haven't had the sensitivity problems. Supposedly there's a specific ingredient in some mineral makeup that can irritate sensitive skin.

Is it talc? I was using meow cosmetics, they have a version for sensitive skin too so I thought I might try that instead of the one I was using.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Is it talc? I was using meow cosmetics, they have a version for sensitive skin too so I thought I might try that instead of the one I was using.

Usually it's the bismuth that irritates more sensitive skin (this is one of the ingredients in Bare Minerals, for example.) For those who simply find the foundation drying, mixing it with a bit of moisturizer makes a big difference.

Miss_Bella_Hell

jitterbugdoll said:
Usually it's the bismuth that irritates more sensitive skin (this is one of the ingredients in Bare Minerals, for example.) For those who simply find the foundation drying, mixing it with a bit of moisturizer makes a big difference.

Hm, well, for me it wasn't just itch but redness, and only on one side of my face, which is odd. I checked and it was even the Pampered Puss version, which is supposed to be extremely gentle and specifically formulated for sensitive skin. Maybe mineral makeup just isn't for me. :(

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Hm, well, for me it wasn't just itch but redness, and only on one side of my face, which is odd. I checked and it was even the Pampered Puss version, which is supposed to be extremely gentle and specifically formulated for sensitive skin. Maybe mineral makeup just isn't for me. :(

Not necessarily--just like with any type of foundation, you may need to try a few different brands first. Mineral makeup isn't right for everyone, but a different formula might suit your skin perfectly.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Emmababy said:
is the coverage good, bella hell :eek:

Yes, it is! I think I will give it another try next week, currently I'm just pre-period so who knows what my skin is doing (besides breaking out, I know it's doing that).

Rosie

One Too Many
I tried the Monave and I think I like it. It seems to sparkle a bit so, I have to get accustomed to that. What does one do for touch ups during the day? I used rice paper to pull away some of the oiliness but is there a powder I should use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points