Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mineral Make-UP

Rosie

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Hey, has anyone had sensitivity problems with mineral makeup? My skin is reacting to it a bit - getting red and itchy. :(

It may be the zinc or iron oxides. I bought a tinted moisturizer once and was allergic to the zinc oxide. Made my face all red and itchy.

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
well after umming and aahing I decided to go for it and order some samples from Besame, I know once I find the right brand/colours I will find it easier to stick to my routine.

BTW can I ask you ladies, do you find the way you dress/look affects the way you feel? I know I had an off day earlier this week and by the end of the day I felt as though everything had gotten on top of me and I ended up sobbing. But the next day after fixing my hair, makeup etc I felt on top of the world :)

Shearer

Practically Family
So true.

There's days I feel like an Art Frahm cast-off.

The celery's toppling out of my grocery bag, the dog has wound it's leash around my ankles, a rogue wind has picked up my skirt, and my panties have given up the will to stay put...

...but dammit, my lipstick looks good! :D

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Amber DeCadence said:
BTW can I ask you ladies, do you find the way you dress/look affects the way you feel? I know I had an off day earlier this week and by the end of the day I felt as though everything had gotten on top of me and I ended up sobbing. But the next day after fixing my hair, makeup etc I felt on top of the world :)

Absolutely! If I'm wearing my pj's all day long, I tend to be in a not too motivated mood and just, slumpy.
It never fails, even if I don't neccessarily feel like it, if I put on my make up, do the hair and get lookin' good, I feel SO much better!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Amber DeCadence said:
well after umming and aahing I decided to go for it and order some samples from Besame, I know once I find the right brand/colours I will find it easier to stick to my routine.

I know exactly what you mean Amber. Often I find just a bit of perfume goes a long way with a touch of lipstick. :)
Ps ( I hope you don't mind me saying you look a great deal like the Teese!!:) :) :) meant in the most complimentary way, I think she's fab!!)

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
jonniangel said:
Yes, I definitely had that problem when I used Bare Minerals and I eventually found it to be much too drying.

I've been using Aromaleigh for the past week and haven't had the sensitivity problems. Supposedly there's a specific ingredient in some mineral makeup that can irritate sensitive skin.

I heard this too. I tried using it for awhile and it was OK. I liked that it was so easy to put on, but I have a hard time not getting the powder all over my black tops, so I have to drape a towel over my chest while putting it on, kinda like a bib.

Anyone else have that problem?

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
To say that I know that problem is an understatement. To bad that I like to dress in black, it would have been much easier if I only dressed in flesh-colors! The powder does not only get on my face and my top, my sink, (in front of the mirror) also gets it fair share. Well, its`s worth it, because my skin has never looked better. And regular loose powder is just as bad.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Rosie said:
Ladies, put on your makeup BEFORE getting dressed. Problem solved. lol
hahaha exaclty!lol

my husband always laughs cos i have curlers in my hair, and I am doing my make up in my undies!
heheheheheheh!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Putting on make-up is always much easier right out of the shower!
I really love my make-up wedgies (which you can buy at most local drugstores) just dab it into the powder and it should stay on your wedgie.
Putting on make-up before getting dressed doesn't always work however! I hate it when you put on a turtleneck, or whatever, and there's that nice rim of left over make-up on your neck line:eek:
Also, If you find that the mineral make-up is too drying, putting on an intense moisturizer on your face before applying works great.

Rosie

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
On JBD's advice I've been mixing my mineral powder foundation with facial moisturizer, and the itchiness problem is eliminated. Yay!

I am tempted to do this. Do you shake the mineral makeup in your hand then blend with the lotion or use a little bottle to premix? Also, what kind of moisturizer are you using? Do tell.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
What I find works well is first putting the moisturizer on your face and then put on the mineral make-up.
Max Factor pan-cake make-up; I saw this at the store and noticed that the main ingredient is talc. Now, this stuff is still considered mineral make-up right? and is talc ok for sensitive skin?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Rosie said:
I am tempted to do this. Do you shake the mineral makeup in your hand then blend with the lotion or use a little bottle to premix? Also, what kind of moisturizer are you using? Do tell.
I shake some in my hand, and then mix in the lotion to form a creamy mixture. I've been using the generic version of Olay's Beauty Fluid, and it works well. If I apply the lotion first and then the mineral powder, I find the makeup clumps on me (since you are supposed to wait until your moisturizer sinks in before applying it.)

Mysterygal, I wouldn't consider Max Factor Pancake to be a true mineral makeup, as it contains other ingredients that mineral makeup companies avoid in their products (mineral oil, lanolin.) Talc is generally not considered irritating to the skin; I have highly sensitive skin and it doesn't bother me.

A great list of ingredients and their potential to irritate or break out your skin can be found here:
http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Rosie said:
Ladies, put on your makeup BEFORE getting dressed. Problem solved. lol

Ah, but then I get my shirt collar pulled out from my making so wide to go over my head. And I'm just too chest for button-ups for the most part.

Anyway, I found a bit of a secret that has been helping me with my problems with Bare Escentials and all powders. I have to exfoliate my face to beat the band because if I don't, the powder seems to highlight any rough patches of skin. But I should exfoliate all the time. But this is me and my skin issue. Sounds like the majority of you ladies don't have that problem.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Not so Dottie! I use a mild exfoliating soap daily. It's great because it's gentle to the skin but also even after one use, it leaves my skin feeling noticably softer, thus, helping the make-up go on smoother. Also, ever since I turned 30, my skin has gone through some changes. I had to really fight oily skin, now thankfully, it's getting to be actually more on the drier side (this I can easily deal with!)...so using a light, oil free moisturizer also aids in helping foundation glide on smoothly.

Jitterbug...thanks! I wanted to find out about it before buying it!

Rosie

One Too Many
Thanks Jitterbug! I'll have to try that.

I've tried Meow Cosmetics and Monave as sugested by you ladies and a BIG thanks! Because I REALLY like the Monave. It's great, feels light and in my opinion (as well as those of my closest friends) looks better on my face than my previous makeup.

Also, another question for the mixing the makeup in the moisturizer, can you add more makeup to make like a heavier foundation or, does it begin to look cake-ier? There is one particular spot on my face that is just kind of dark, sometimes it seems darker and on those occasions, I'd like a little more coverage. Thanks.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Rosie said:
Thanks Jitterbug! I'll have to try that.

I've tried Meow Cosmetics and Monave as sugested by you ladies and a BIG thanks! Because I REALLY like the Monave. It's great, feels light and in my opinion (as well as those of my closest friends) looks better on my face than my previous makeup.

Also, another question for the mixing the makeup in the moisturizer, can you add more makeup to make like a heavier foundation or, does it begin to look cake-ier? There is one particular spot on my face that is just kind of dark, sometimes it seems darker and on those occasions, I'd like a little more coverage. Thanks.

For more coverage, I actually apply the moisturizer/makeup mixture first, let it sink in, and then go over it with a dusting of the powder as needed. Have you tried that method?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Blush

Has anyone tried mineral blush? How were the results? Also, I've been eyeing blush in cream form for awhile lately...is this stuff easily applied? and can you still wear it when you want your foundation to have a matte finish?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21