Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mineral Make-UP

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have not tried mineral blushes, but I have worn cream blushes. These can dry to a matte finish, and the only caveat is that they do not work over powdered foundations--they must be applied over a liquid or cream foundation, or underneath a powder base.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
mysterygal said:
I couldn't wait to try this stuff so I put it on this morning....I love it!!!!You sold me GOK! :D I can see that I need to play around with it some, I don't know if your not supposed to put lotion on before applying or not, but, it went on a little spotchy on one place.
The coverage, awesome! and I absolutely love the blondie shade! I've been having the hardest time finding a foundation that was light enough for my complexion!

MG,

Did you order it from UK? Or did you find it in the states?

xo

Rosie

One Too Many
jitterbugdoll said:
For more coverage, I actually apply the moisturizer/makeup mixture first, let it sink in, and then go over it with a dusting of the powder as needed. Have you tried that method?

Tried it. PERFECT!!! Thanks Jitterbug!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I've tried a couple of samples of Lilylolo mineral blush. They are very pigmented and long-lasting. The shade called Real Rouge gives a nice flushed-cheek look, but I don't care for the shimmery/metallic finish.

I've also tried Pure Luxe blush in the colour Nymph. Quite worthless in my opinion. Not very pigmented, hardly even visible.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I must say, blusher is something that I do not have a clue how to apply. I have tried following directions, applying it to all different areas of my cheeks, apples, cheekbones etc, and I always look like a clown. Perhaps I haven't got the right shade, and I certainly can't get the amount right, but I have never worn it out for this reason!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Wow, so I finally got around to looking at all the companies you ladies have recommended. I am fascinated! Everything looks like so much more fun than my makeup. Now I just have to try to decide which company I want to try first. Such choices!

As for blush - I have a tough time with it, because I am color blind. Well, technically, color deficient. I don't see pink very well. Most times, I can't even tell that I have put any on! The dear hubby always has to come in and blend for me :) So, I am afriad I am not much help. I have no clue if I ever get it right or not lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
As far as colors for blush goes, I've always been told to go this way...look at what color your cheeks are when they are flushed...this is the color you should buy. Also, apricot, peachy color are supposed to make mature skin look younger and vibrant.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
beaucaillou said:
MG,

Did you order it from UK? Or did you find it in the states?

xo
You won't be disapointed with this stuff! I haven't ordered any yet, I got a ton of samples from GOK. I just got done looking on the internet and it seems that it's only through the UK. If you visit their website, you can order there...but be forewarned, there's a lot of goodies in that place!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
mysterygal said:
Has anyone tried mineral blush? How were the results? Also, I've been eyeing blush in cream form for awhile lately...is this stuff easily applied? and can you still wear it when you want your foundation to have a matte finish?

I have an Aromaleigh blush, and a kit from Monave. They are pretty good. You put a little bit of blush powder in the sifter, and it really isn't that different than applying powder blush. I wish I had gotten a less sparkly blush from Aromaleigh though, since it is a bit too sparkly for vintage wear for my comfort. One of the Monave colors is a pretty nice rose though.

One thing I like about mineral makeup is that it doesn't contain talc, which is a suspected carcinogen. This is one of the reasons that it isn't recommended for use as baby powder any more.

Here's an article on talcum powder, apparantly it is related to asbestos!

http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/cosmetics/talc.htm

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Tourbillion said:
One thing I like about mineral makeup is that it doesn't contain talc, which is a suspected carcinogen. This is one of the reasons that it isn't recommended for use as baby powder any more.

Here's an article on talcum powder, apparantly it is related to asbestos!

http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/cosmetics/talc.htm

Yes, Tour, talc is related to asbestos, they are all in the amphibole family of minerals. Minerals are grouped and calssified by their chemical formulas. I took a minerology class when I started work on a masters degree to teach earth science, and we had to be able to identify the minerals on sight as well as give their chemical formulas.

Talc is metamorphosed serpentine, and serpentine has the same chemical formula as asbestos. What makes serpentine different from asbestos is the way the crystals grew. Asbestos is dangerous because its crystals are long, thin, fiberous and needley. Serpentine's crystals are longer and thicker which make them less likely to break and become embedded in the lungs.

Other forms of talc (not related to the amphiboles) are created when dolomite and silica are metamorphosed, and yet a third kind is created when magnesian chlorite and quartz are metamorphosed.

It's not so much that asbestos is dangerous because of its chemical composition, it is the crystal structure and its ability to embed into soft tissue, particularly the lungs.

So! Now that I completely bored you with crazy mineral talk. What about talc? Amphibole talcs have thin, needley crystals, the other talcs have more coarse crystals. The FDA considers the non-amphibole talcs to be safe.

There has been evidence to suggest that talc may be carcinogenic, possibly linked to ovarian, lung, and skin cancer. Unfortunately, there hasn't been anything conclusive.

Like so many things in life, its a crapshoot. Take the information I have provided for what ever it is worth. If you found it interesting, wahoo :D

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
This is going to sound like such a JV question, but as far as removing mineral make-up, do you ladies prefer cold cream, make up remover or just plain old soap and water.

I've started trying to us Bare Escentuals make up every day for work--to just brighten my face and outlook :)--and at night when I would normally use cold cream for take off make up, I feel that it's almost too heavy and than the mineral make up would probably come off more easily with just soap and water.

Thoughts, comments?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Miss Dottie said:
This is going to sound like such a JV question, but as far as removing mineral make-up, do you ladies prefer cold cream, make up remover or just plain old soap and water.

I've started trying to us Bare Escentuals make up every day for work--to just brighten my face and outlook :)--and at night when I would normally use cold cream for take off make up, I feel that it's almost too heavy and than the mineral make up would probably come off more easily with just soap and water.

Thoughts, comments?

I use cold cream to remove any makeup I am wearing, including mineral foundation. It works the best for me, and my skin prefers it as well. :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Miss Dottie said:

Thoughts, comments?
I really like using make-up removing cloths then going ahead with soap and water...after that, I use a toner

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I read through this whole thread this afternoon.

I went to the store but was still afraid to take the plunge. Maybe because money is tight right now and the $12.99 price tag scared me! (And it was on sale!)

I wonder if this kind of make-up would work well in humidity. Any ideas from you ladies who come from a humid climate.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
There was a link I provided in the thread about beauty and health to the group advocating for cosmetic companies to use non-toxic ingredients. I found quite a few mineral companies on there, and one that I found was called Southern Something (can’t remember) Maybe Southern Minerals or Southern Magnolia...

Anyway! The point is that they claimed (as did many of their testimonials) that their makeup was sweat-proof and resisted humidity. The south is so humid in the summer that if they managed to create a makeup that can do that, I am excited!

One of the companies mentioned here, I think Meow, will ship samples for free. They only cost a dollar a piece, and are enough for a few applications to see if you like it and if the color is correct. Most of the companies already listed sell samples for a dollar apiece. And if this stuff is as good as it sounds, the full price would be totally worth it!

You can purchase quality cosmetics with the money you get back from the Newport News shoes that didn't fit ;)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I just bought some mineral make-up at Sally's, the brand is by 'savvy'...I still like lily lo lo's better, but this stuff has light illuminators that's supposed to make you look younger and more 'radiant' (yes, I'm a sucker for ads:p )...the look is actually pretty darn cool, it's not a 'matte' look, but nice for a dewy spring time look.

anabolina

A-List Customer
I really like Everyday Minerals. You can order samples (you just pay $4 shipping) for 5 samples that can seriously last a week. I looked at Bare Minerals at Ulta and the colors all looked a little orange, so I looked for other reviews and heard of Everyday Minerals. It's also resonably priced. Check out makeupalley.com for more reviews of most of the brands. I do like the mineral makeup, but somtimes i feel like a change so I've been styling my hair straight and using liquid makeup again, it's a bit of a difference.

BTW, mineral makeup can sometimes highlight pores so a primer can help give you that smooth look and make it last longer, I live in Dallas and it gets pretty humid and makeup usually disappears within a couple hours, primer helps it last longer.

Enjoy!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I put on the savvy mineral make-up again yesterday, and decided I don't like it (better lighting is always a great thing for discovering this:rolleyes: )....the lightest shade they have is still too dark for my skin tone and it really does reflect light, but, it gives off the impression of a shiny face...which I hate.
Coverage; ok, but lily lo lo is still my favorite

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I have just bought eyeshadows from Everydayminerals.com and thought I'd share the experience with you. I already love their skin make-up, and I am very happy with the eyeshadows, especially the pearl and shimmer ones. They are rich in color, highly pigmented and have a beautiful shimmer. They are quite long lasting too. And for only 18 dollars for 10 mini shadows, (thats normal size compared to other brands,) I think it is a very good buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass