Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mineral Make-UP

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
another note;

Do you by any chance have food allergies? Ever since about 6th grade I struggled with acne and tried just about everything under the sun to try to get rid of it (I found it greatly also contributed to my having rosacea as well) a couple of years ago a friend of mine asked me about allergies to food. I went on a wheat free, dairy free diet and the results were absolutely amazing (but you also need to keep in mind to drink lots of water as well!) to find out, you don't necessarily need to go to a doctor. For two weeks, stay off of wheat (make sure you read EVERY ingredient label on foods cause they like to sneak the stuff in there sometimes!) if you do have sensitivities, you should start seeing a big difference, then eat wheat...I warn you though that your skin will maybe be a little worse than before!
I just thought I should ask...the redness literally goes away if I stay on the diet. and if you are interested in trying it, I'd be more than happy to pm you some ideas for what to eat (I still remember my first trip to the grocery store and thinking , 'crud, I can't eat anything!' -it's really not that hard, just as with anything a little difficult at first!)

Miztorif

New in Town
mysterygal said:
Do you by any chance have food allergies? Ever since about 6th grade I struggled with acne and tried just about everything under the sun to try to get rid of it (I found it greatly also contributed to my having rosacea as well) a couple of years ago a friend of mine asked me about allergies to food. I went on a wheat free, dairy free diet and the results were absolutely amazing (but you also need to keep in mind to drink lots of water as well!) to find out, you don't necessarily need to go to a doctor. For two weeks, stay off of wheat (make sure you read EVERY ingredient label on foods cause they like to sneak the stuff in there sometimes!) if you do have sensitivities, you should start seeing a big difference, then eat wheat...I warn you though that your skin will maybe be a little worse than before!
I just thought I should ask...the redness literally goes away if I stay on the diet. and if you are interested in trying it, I'd be more than happy to pm you some ideas for what to eat (I still remember my first trip to the grocery store and thinking , 'crud, I can't eat anything!' -it's really not that hard, just as with anything a little difficult at first!)

Yes Please PM me with it-I will try it. In My case I developed allergies to Hair dye, earrings and started the roseacea when I was 28 straight out of the blue-prior to that I never had an allergy to anything. I always had the dry skin though (hyperkeritosis).

Dixiedaisey

New in Town
Gluegungeisha, thank you so much for the Iredale recommendation. There is a dermatologist in my area who sells this product and swears by it. I have tried Bare Minerals and it flared up my rosacea and caused me to itch so badly. I am using Urban Decay's mineral makeup now and like it fine but need a little bit more coverage and it looks like Iredale may provide just what I need. I can't wait to get to the derm's office and pick some up. Thanks again.

nyx

One of the Regulars
I just went out and bought a bare essentuals starter kit that I haven't tried yet. I bought it on the advice of a friend because I have extremely oily skin that usually causes normal makeup to melt off after a few hours. The result is a cakey, oily mess that I can't fix without starting all over. So, I'm wondering, for those of you that use bare minerals with oily skin, how does it hold up during the day? Also, do you have any suggestions for touch ups?

wibblebird

New in Town
I couldn't use the Bare Minerals because of my oily skin. It just mixed with the oil and sat on my face and felt just plain icky. And I so wanted it to work. I've just given up on foundation most of the time. Since started using cold cream at night, my skin's cleared up and my complexion is usually OK.

nyx

One of the Regulars
wibblebird said:
I couldn't use the Bare Minerals because of my oily skin. It just mixed with the oil and sat on my face and felt just plain icky. And I so wanted it to work. I've just given up on foundation most of the time. Since started using cold cream at night, my skin's cleared up and my complexion is usually OK.

Oh no! Well, since I already bought it, I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens. Perhaps, as some people said, it will dry my skin out a bit over time, so it won't happen after continued use. I also bought their night treatment powder, which the sales girl said should help balance my skin. Of course, she IS a sales girl, so she could have just been trying to make a sale :eusa_doh:

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
To The Ladies (and Gents) With Rosacea

I am so glad I am not alone with the battle of the perfect foundation, mositurizer, medications, soaps, foods and I am sure you know how the list goes on and on.

I have been dealing with this red beast for years. If you all ever need to chat send me a private message anytime!
Ann

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I've tried a couple of different brands and now have some Lily Lilo samples on the way. The one I love the most is Jane Iredale and I use it every day now. I use both the pressed and loose base - usually I use the loose while applying at home and the pressed one I carry with me in my purse.

Looking forward to seeing how Lily Lilo is since it's a lot cheaper than Jane Iredale.

fernande

Vendor
minerals!

I agree with Jitterbug Doll's Bare Esscentials comment. I find the colors too warm and too dark for many people.
I also personally did not like the "shimmer" pigments in the product- I think some people really like this because it *does* kind of even up the tone- and its quick and takes five seconds to put on (I personally think that 5 minute makeup, looks like 5 minute makeup, but not everyone can spend 30 minutes "putting on a face"- c'est la vie)
- but on anyone over 45, especially if they liked the sun in their youth- you can see it, and its not flattering. (at least in my opinion)

Most of the domesticly created mineral foundations (there are tons of brands, as I'm sure you know-popping up every five seconds on the www) are often the *same* product, since there are only two factories in the US. I did sourcing for a few cosmetics companies- its kind of funny, that many sell the exact same products/shades - So I'd suggest finding the cheapest one! ha!
I cannot vouch for L'oreal or any of the biggies.

I am curious to check out Lily Lolo's porcelain- I like that its very light!
anyone use it?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Ooh, I got my Lily Lilo samples today and I quite like it and will order full sizes when I start running out of the Jane Iredale base I'm using now (good stuff too).

To my surprise, the color that looked best on me was a cool one, candy cane. Blondie was closest to my own skin color, it was almost an exact match, but when applied it kinda looked a tad too yellow overall, but still quite nice for a very natural look whereas the candy cane really brought out the color of my eyes and gave me a polished porcelain doll look.

The shade porcelain is very, very light but I might still be using it during winter, if not on its own, then mixed with candy cane or blondie.

I very much liked the finishing powder in translucent silk and their blushes were lovely.

Their eyeshadows were a bit less impressive, though. They weren't as pigmented as MAC's (which is still my preferred choice for eyeshadows) and it took me forever to get a deep color when I applied it. While in the bag, it looked very intense and pigmented, but when applied the color really faded. I tried deep purple and cherrypie. Furthermore, I tried angelic, which was a very nice shimmer effect, although not as fine a grain as I'd hoped.

Hope this helps the ones wondering!

I'd like to hear from you which brushes you use. My Jane Iredale squirrel bristle Handi brush just fell apart. :cry:
The Kabuki brush from Lily Lilo is synthetic, so I'm hesitant because of that. Do you find that synthetic bristles are just as good for mineral foundation? Which brush do you prefer?

RainEdayWoman

Familiar Face
I have used bare minerals as well as meow and lumiere mineral foundations.
Both Meow Cosmetics and Lumiere Cosmetics offer affordable samples that last for several applications. Both companies also offer foundations without bismuth oxide which can cause allergic reactions (redness, rash) in many people. I am a very fair skinned redhead and have been very pleased with both companies shade varieties, you may have to try a few samples before findign the correct shade but it is well worth it because their products are wonderful. I suggest getting the primer as well to help the foundation go on smoother, especially if you have oily skin to begin with.

roots66

One of the Regulars
This is probably a shot in the dark, but has anyone tried the new Physician's Formula Organics line? I'm trying to find some opinions before I splurge at a drugstore sale this week.

Aorta

Familiar Face
I'm using a mineral foundation by Chrimaluxe at the moment. Chrimaluxe is a German company (reseller), its MF comes in very light shades, which is great for me. I also use silk powder underneath the foundation which helps to mattify my oily complexion and T. LeClerc's banana powder on top. Well, but nevertheless, I need a lot of those oil blotting tissues during the day.
I'd love to try Meow's foundation, too. But since I don't have a credit card or a paypal account, it's difficult to get... on the other hand, good for my budget lol .

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Aorta, I have just received a box of T. LeClerc powder (in rose th?©, an apricot-y shade) but haven't tried it yet. Do you think it lives up to its reputation? I was just drawn to it because of the vintage factor :)

anabolina

A-List Customer
Miss Retro said:
I've just started using Everyday Minerals and so far i'm really liking it. I also got some saples from lily Lolo and am loving them as well, some lovely colors.

So odd, I just revisited my EDM foundation yesterday as well. I can't remember why I stopped using it, hmmm. Anyway, I meant to try out that Lily Lolo, then decided to stick with what works. This belies my recent purchases of the mmu from the NYC, Mary Kate, Wet n Wild, and ELF brands (yes, all cost less than $5 and none had good colors, consistencies, or coverage). Anyway, Yay for MMU, I kinad want to try out that new Maybelline mineral liquid, but am hesitant since I really do not need any more makeup, seriously I'm supposed to be downsizing for Korea, not buying more. <sigh>

roselily

One of the Regulars
I've kinda been turning into a MMU junkie lately. My newest favorite is SunCat. I'm still loving Everyday Minerals for basics (concealers and foundations, silk powder), Aromaleigh and Meow for exotic colors. I've tried Cory but couldn't get past the smell and the bad customer service. I've also tried some of J.Lynne's and Pure Luxe's stuff.

I don't really wear much in the way of foundation, unless I am performing. I prefer more of a finishing powder that absorbs shine and tones down redness to wear over my tinted sunscreen.

I am, however, a blush fanatic.

jayem

A-List Customer
I actually don't like mineral makeup. Ive tried the Bare Minerals brand, a long with some other brand I got off eBay. Both left my complexion matte and fake looking. They're just too heavy for me, plus the skin tones never matched. According to all testimonials, they're supposed to do the opposite... but I guess that just wasn't my case. Now I just wear a light foundation gel and top that off with the never fail Airspun. Does a much better job in my mind, and looks natural.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Does anyone know if I can use mineral setting powder over non-mineral liquid foundation?!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy