Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mineral Make-UP

roselily

One of the Regulars
Goldfish said:
Does anyone know if I can use mineral setting powder over non-mineral liquid foundation?!?

Sure you can! You get the most benefit from your minerals if they're against your skin, but I mix and match all the time. I use silk powder with just about everything.

anabolina

A-List Customer
jayem said:
I actually don't like mineral makeup. Ive tried the Bare Minerals brand, a long with some other brand I got off eBay. Both left my complexion matte and fake looking. They're just too heavy for me, plus the skin tones never matched. According to all testimonials, they're supposed to do the opposite... but I guess that just wasn't my case. Now I just wear a light foundation gel and top that off with the never fail Airspun. Does a much better job in my mind, and looks natural.

I do Everyday Minerals and I do find it can look really bad if you use too much, so I try to use as little as possible. I think I was gradually starting to use more and more for awhile there and wondering why it looked so cakey and then I was browsing youtube last night and found a review of EDM that actaully showed how much the girl used and that was a serious wakeup call to my overuse. When I first started, I used very little and I guess I just started using more. [huh]

Anyway, also I used some water in a little spray bottle to set it today and it really does help it look even more natural.

roselily

One of the Regulars
anabolina said:
I do Everyday Minerals and I do find it can look really bad if you use too much, so I try to use as little as possible. I think I was gradually starting to use more and more for awhile there and wondering why it looked so cakey and then I was browsing youtube last night and found a review of EDM that actaully showed how much the girl used and that was a serious wakeup call to my overuse. When I first started, I used very little and I guess I just started using more. [huh]

Anyway, also I used some water in a little spray bottle to set it today and it really does help it look even more natural.

Which EDM foundation are you using? You might try one with a different coverage level, so you don't have to put so much on.

Oh yes, misting helps alot! I use water with a little EO to keep it fresh smelling.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I got my Lily Lolo samples today and I like the coverage but I am finding it a little drying which highlights my wrinkles unfortunately. I know jitterbug doll mentioned mixing it with a little moisturiser - should I make a paste with it? Also, does applying it with a wet sponge rather than a dry brush help with the drying effect?

retromom147

One of the Regulars
I tried SheerCover and as far as blending and coloring go it's the best I've ever seen. I can't use it because it's too drying on my skin and makes my exzema spread. (the good news is that with sheer cover it doesn't show even when it itches like hell) I really liked it though...the color was better than BareEscentuals (the sephora stuff)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Laura Chase said:
I'd like to hear from you which brushes you use. My Jane Iredale squirrel bristle Handi brush just fell apart. :cry:
The Kabuki brush from Lily Lilo is synthetic, so I'm hesitant because of that. Do you find that synthetic bristles are just as good for mineral foundation? Which brush do you prefer?

I'm glad that you mentioned this Laura as I have wondered the same thing about brushes as they don't exactly come cheap and I want to invest in a good one.

I got some Lily Lolo a couple of weeks ago and I would like to try it with a really good brush as I figure this will make a big difference to the finish you get.

Did you buy the Kabuki brush in the end? I'm wondering if MAC do a brush that would work?

Any other ladies have any favourite brushes that they'd like to recommend for mineral makeup?

lyburnum

Practically Family
I have been using all Lily Lolo cosmetics for the last few months and it has done WONDERS for my skin. I would never go back to MAC foundation/concealer/powder makeup now.

Anyway, I used http://www.crownbrush.co.uk for my brushes and they're really nice. You basically get the same quality you would with a brand name like MAC, just they're cheaper because there's no name attached. They have a mineral makeup section which is where I got all mine from. I ordered M1, M2, M6 & M10.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
lyburnum said:
I have been using all Lily Lolo cosmetics for the last few months and it has done WONDERS for my skin. I would never go back to MAC foundation/concealer/powder makeup now.

Anyway, I used http://www.crownbrush.co.uk for my brushes and they're really nice. You basically get the same quality you would with a brand name like MAC, just they're cheaper because there's no name attached. They have a mineral makeup section which is where I got all mine from. I ordered M1, M2, M6 & M10.

Thanks Lyburnum that's a terrific link, I can't believe how much cheaper the brushes are compared to some of the ones I have been looking at recently. I will definitely be ordering some.

Thanks!!:)

Smuterella

One Too Many
right, I've ordered some samples from Lily Lolo. I'm always looking for a good foundation thats not too "fake" looking.

fingers crossed...

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
I love Crown brushes! Many, many, many make-up companies sell Crown brushes (marked way up in price of course with or without their own logo imprinted on them) so yes if you buy from Crown direct you are getting a quality brush for less. They have so many brushes, more so than I new there were uses for. Also if you haven't seen Enkore videos on youtube you are in for a treat, Koren explains the many mac brushes in one video and then gives you a cheaper alternative which are high quality painting brushes. I just can't afford MAC, I use crown brushes myself but a friend of mine did purchase the artists brushes and she is really pleased with them, only one thing was that the handles were a little too long and it took her some getting used to. Suppose they could be sawed off and sanded though.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Well, I tried the blondie foundation from Lily Lolo today and I'm not sure about it yet, it looked cakey in some places and a little too pink. tomorrow I'm going to try candy cane and then porcelain at the weekend.

It nfeels nice, I think i'm just having trouble getting to grips with the whole foundation / powder thing...

Aorta

Familiar Face
ShrinkingViolet said:
Aorta, I have just received a box of T. LeClerc powder (in rose thé, an apricot-y shade) but haven't tried it yet. Do you think it lives up to its reputation? I was just drawn to it because of the vintage factor :)

Better late than never! I'm a sucker for nostalgic packaging, too :D. I have been using the loose powder since 2005, the first box lasted for more than two years (using it daily), it was the shade called "Camélia", which is very light. Then I had the compact powder (to use it on the go), but its ingredients were not as good as the ones of the loose powder and I didn't like it as much because it was less mattifying. Now I use the loose powder again (this time in "Banane") and I also like it a lot.

To make a long story short: I think the loose powder is totally worth the price.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Maybelline Mineral Power

I recently switched foundations. I had been using Clinique for years, but we just bought a new house and I am trying to cut down on spending. So I got the new Maybelline Mineral Power foundation. I LOVE it! It's great, goes on smooth and covers great. Lasts all day- with my Smashbox Primer ( I don't know if I'll be able to give that one up!) So just wanted to give a heads up. Ulta had some to try in the new display. I am pretty fair and I got the 3, so for you really fair skinned gals you might want to give it a try!

http://www.maybelline.com/Product/Face/Foundation/Mineral-Power-Natural-Perfecting-Foundation.htm

Also, found this for a free sample:
http://www.startsampling.com/sm/100201/captureAddress.iphtml?item=100201&source=

Smuterella

One Too Many
OK, I'm getting on quite well with the candy cane colour from Lily Lolo - it seems to be controlling my oily skin and certainly calming those few breakouts I seem to get.

I ise an eyeshadow brush to apply the poweder around the nose and to any blemishes and it covers beautifully. very impressed.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Aorta said:
Better late than never! I'm a sucker for nostalgic packaging, too :D. I have been using the loose powder since 2005, the first box lasted for more than two years (using it daily), it was the shade called "Camélia", which is very light. Then I had the compact powder (to use it on the go), but its ingredients were not as good as the ones of the loose powder and I didn't like it as much because it was less mattifying. Now I use the loose powder again (this time in "Banane") and I also like it a lot.

To make a long story short: I think the loose powder is totally worth the price.

I'm getting on very well with my T. LeClerc Rose Thé powder too! It's a soft peachy beige that tones down yellowish tones. It's really quite amazing, I rarely need to wear mineral make-up under it. The violet shade (Parme) looks spectacular too, but you probably need to be very pale to be able to pull that off.
Here's how cute it looks (as a bit of customer service ;) ):

loose-powder.jpg

gingermore

Familiar Face
Everyday Minerals

I love Everyday Minerals. I've tried a fair few other mineral brands but these are my favourite. It looks so natural and feels like I'm not wearing makeup. Since I started wearing it I've had lots of people commenting on how good I look.

Although I have to have the makeup delivered to Australia it's still much cheaper than buying Australian products. I think their custom kits are really good value and I like their brushes too.

I use the "Original Glow" foundation for everyday as it's the most natural looking and doesn't look cakey. When I'm performing I like to wear the "Intensive" foundation as it gives me a more matte coverage.

For a nice pale colouring at night time, this is what I use:
"mint" concealer on red areas
"fair" foundation
"sunlight" concealer for under eyes"
"intensive fair" concealer for zits
"star to finish fair" finishing powder
"all smiles" pressed powder blush (this is a nice pinky-peach colour)

I love the blushes as they're so natural looking. Sometimes I'll use the "light pink" blush as a face colour as in creates a nice creamy finish with a touch of sparkle.

Using loose powder can be a bit messy but I think it's worth it. This makeup has changed my life.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
gingermore said:
I love Everyday Minerals. I've tried a fair few other mineral brands but these are my favourite. It looks so natural and feels like I'm not wearing makeup. Since I started wearing it I've had lots of people commenting on how good I look.

Although I have to have the makeup delivered to Australia it's still much cheaper than buying Australian products. I think their custom kits are really good value and I like their brushes too.

I use the "Original Glow" foundation for everyday as it's the most natural looking and doesn't look cakey. When I'm performing I like to wear the "Intensive" foundation as it gives me a more matte coverage.

For a nice pale colouring at night time, this is what I use:
"mint" concealer on red areas
"fair" foundation
"sunlight" concealer for under eyes"
"intensive fair" concealer for zits
"star to finish fair" finishing powder
"all smiles" pressed powder blush (this is a nice pinky-peach colour)

I love the blushes as they're so natural looking. Sometimes I'll use the "light pink" blush as a face colour as in creates a nice creamy finish with a touch of sparkle.

Using loose powder can be a bit messy but I think it's worth it. This makeup has changed my life.
Another EM-lover here! My full-face makeup for when I want to look extra good is like yours here, but with different colored foundation and the corn silk powder I also like to use the "ligth pink" on my cheekbones, a touch on the forehead and quite a lot under the eyes, over the sunglight conecealer. Over the "sunlight"concealer it is allmost like that Yves St.Loraint Eclat-thing, only cheaper and with better texture.

I have lately experienced with mixing corn silk powder in my moisturizer/layering it over it to act as a make up primer. I think that works really well!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Helen Troy said:
Another EM-lover here! My full-face makeup for when I want to look extra good is like yours here, but with different colored foundation and the corn silk powder I also like to use the "ligth pink" on my cheekbones, a touch on the forehead and quite a lot under the eyes, over the sunglight conecealer. Over the "sunlight"concealer it is allmost like that Yves St.Loraint Eclat-thing, only cheaper and with better texture.

I have lately experienced with mixing corn silk powder in my moisturizer/layering it over it to act as a make up primer. I think that works really well!

I am a big fan of EM too, I think it is the best mineral foundation I have tried that looks natural.. I will try the mint concealer next time I order from them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo