Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Minor Flaws in Garments

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
It is in the nature of the clothes we wear to become worn, so I'd like to explore our attitides toward minor flaws in garments, the sort that are probably only noticeable to you and that no one else would be likely to care about: a mild scratch on the toe of your shoe, a slight rip in the silk on the underside of your tie, a very faint stubborn stain on a dark suit that can only be seen if you're really looking for it. That sort of thing. I'm not talking about a gash in your shirt sleeve or a big olive oil patch on your tie.

Do these minor flaws drive you crazy? Do they take up too much of your "mental space"? Does it really upset you when you first spot them ("When did that happen?")? Do you freak out more if the garment was particularly expensive? Do you feel guilty if the flaws are somehow attributable to your actions or carelessness? Do you expend considerable effort and expense on trying to fix them? Do you sometimes make matters worse and find out it's better to leave well enough alone?

Do you mourn favorite shirts, ties, socks, shoes when they finally "go"? Do you hold onto them and wear them longer than you perhaps should? Do you put effort into replacing them exactly?

Or are you more relaxed about the whole matter? Do you accept minor flaws as part of the life of the garment? Do you even become a little fond of them sometimes because they constitute a kind of personalization of the garment? Do you subscribe to the theory that any garment examined microscopically enough would reveal flaws after you have worn it a few times?

Does a description of a minor flaw in an otherwise desirable second-hand garment on Ebay put you off bidding altogether, or is it very much a situational call?

Lots to think about.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
If it's a minor flaw that I "put" there, then it doesn't bother me. If I buy something new and it comes from the factory with an unintended minor flaw, it drives me out of my skull. For example, the $600 Trojan Horsehide jacket I bought from Legendary USA (manufactured by Schott), that had loose stitching, missing stitches, extra stitching, and off-center snaps.....sure it looks great from 4 feet away, but...ughh...I still see red when I think about it.

If I buy something used, as long as I know about any flaws before hand, it doesn't bother me.

And don't get me started on pre-distressed new merchandise, lol. That bugs me on so many different levels.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great topic and close to my heart.

Personally, anything used from someone else that is worn close to the body, I am not interested in. It's just too much for me. I have to make an exception for hats, but the vintage hats that I have are mint.

Shoes were meant to be scraped. My philosophy is wear and maintain. Each nick and scratch, polished and restored is another step I tripped over in Rome or edge I caught in Paris. I have no issues with these.

Clothes with rips anywhere but on their seams go into the trash regardless of what it is. Anything with a stain goes into the trash. That makes it easy for me. ;) :)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
erikb02809 said:
For example, the $600 Trojan Horsehide jacket I bought from Legendary USA (manufactured by Schott), that had loose stitching, missing stitches, extra stitching, and off-center snaps.....sure it looks great from 4 feet away, but...ughh...I still see red when I think about it.
If I'd paid $600 and it had those problems, I would've immediately sent it back, with a letter detailing the problems, demanding replacement or immediate refund. And I would probably have sent it to the CEO for him to see the "quality" of the merchandise they're sending to customers.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Let me answer my own questions, by the way.
Do these minor flaws drive you crazy? Do they take up too much of your "mental space"?
Not always, but sometimes. I'm working on it. :)
Does it really upset you when you first spot them ("When did that happen?")?
It has been known to upset me, yes.
Do you freak out more if the garment was particularly expensive?
If the flaw was original and the garment is exchangeable, I'm not so bothered. If the damage comes later, I might freak out. I could never buy $3,000.00 suits even if I could afford them; I'd be afraid of what could happen to them.
Do you feel guilty if the flaws are somehow attributable to your actions or carelessness?
Sure.
Do you expend considerable effort and expense on trying to fix them?
Frequently.
Do you sometimes make matters worse and find out it's better to leave well enough alone?
Most definitely, and I have tried to train myself not to over-react to basically invisible flaws.
Do you mourn favorite shirts, ties, socks, shoes when they finally "go"?
Yes. Socks and ties are especially sad; particular patterns can be hard to replace.
Do you hold onto them and wear them longer than you perhaps should?
Generally, no; I try to get the parting done with.
Do you put effort into replacing them exactly?
Considerable effort, quite frequently.
Or are you more relaxed about the whole matter? Do you accept minor flaws as part of the life of the garment? Do you even become a little fond of them sometimes because they constitute a kind of personalization of the garment? Do you subscribe to the theory that any garment examined microscopically enough would reveal flaws after you have worn it a few times?
This is the way I would like to be, and the philosophy that I consciously subscribe to; but it doesn't come entirely naturally, so I have to challenge myself to live up to it.
Does a description of a minor flaw in an otherwise desirable second-hand garment on Ebay put you off bidding altogether, or is it very much a situational call?
This is highly situational for me, and my judgement depends greatly on the photographs of the garment on Ebay. Unlike the estimable Hemingway Jones, I love second-hand garments of all kinds and have no general compunctions about wearing them.

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
I'm a bit like erikbo2809; if it's flawed, I hate it, but if it's my own (and in some instances other's) wear, tear and damages, it's fine, as long as it's not too much. I don't mind, really.

I wear to clothes to death though, mostly because I actually seem to like "patina". Up to a point. For anything "casual" of the denim/t-shirt/shorts/holiday/fishing way, I'll wear clothes with actual inch-long rips in them. It's patina.

I always keep them clean and pressed,though, here's my absolute favourite shirt. I wear it with shorts only.

BBOCBD.jpg

Hemingway Jones said:
Personally, anything used from someone else that is worn close to the body, I am not interested in. It's just too much for me. I have to make an exception for hats, but the vintage hats that I have are mint.

Shoes were meant to be scraped. My philosophy is wear and maintain. Each nick and scratch, polished and restored is another step I tripped over in Rome or edge I caught in Paris. I have no issues with these.

Clothes with rips anywhere but on their seams go into the trash regardless of what it is. Anything with a stain goes into the trash. That makes it easy for me. ;) :)

I can pretty much ditto all of that. I'm a bit of an addict with the shoes, though, and I can't really take much of the scrapes. I think it might be the OCD coming out in me.

As far as jackets with rips: if the fabric has enough motion (i.e., checked, plaid, etc.) I'll mend it if I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn