Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

miss a reenactment = depression??

leaette

A-List Customer
For you WW2 reenactors out there....

Ever miss a reenactment for whatever reason and it makes you super depressed?

I'm not going to FIG (Fort Indiantown Gap) this year because I have a baby at home. And I thought I'd be OK with it, but it's REALLY starting to bug me (It doesn't help that hubby is going, but I do want him to go). A female yahoogroup I belong to is starting to talk about it and list the things you need to bring, etc.

I missed last year too because I was 5 months preggo. And we missed the Reading airshow in June because the baby was only 2 months old. So I'm really feeling the depression.

There are some people I haven't seen in years because you only see them at these national attended reenactments.

kampkatz

Practically Family
Leaette,
Sounds like you are fairly young, so there will be many more opportunities at re-enactments. Perhaps by June your little one will be hearty enough to travel to the WW2 Reading Air Show. It is always good to hear enthusiasm about historical re-enactments from the post-boomers. May you have every good reason to continue to pay tribute to the courageous "Greatest Generation" in future gatherings. Congratulations on the new baby which is a precious blessing no matter how you look at it.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Robin, I can appreciate your sentiment, as I feel the same way when I miss certain airshows I've gone to since the 80s. Since buying this house, my travel budget has shrunk to next to nothing, so for me there's no more Oshkosh or Duxford for the time being.
I guess I saw you last at FIG two years ago. I wish you could be there again this year. I'll be there in my usual role, as crowd control during the public battles (after all, what other role could a Civilian Defense Auxiliary Policeman have at the Battle of the Bulge?). With luck maybe I'll see you again at Reading?
What you might want to do is to try to plan a get together with some fellow reenactors from your area who aren't going to or usually don't go to FIG. Maybe plan a lunch at a restaurant (as long as you can find a babysitter). It might be good therapy. When I'm feeling my Oshkosh "withdrawl symptoms" during that airshow each year, I'll sometimes head out to a local airport and chew the fat with friends that didn't go, or normally don't go. Or sometimes I'll try a different pursuit, and visit the Railroad Museum of PA instead. There's plenty to take your mind off things so one doesn't become depressed.
Cheers,
-Chris

leaette

A-List Customer
chris...as of right now, we are planning on going to Reading, HOWEVER....there is a possibility that we may be renting a beach house this summer with some family so if that is going to happen, then we won't be going to Reading. (hubby only has so many vaca days).

my closest reenactor girlfriend lives 2 hrs away. so we don't get together that much. we should plan a day together during FIG so i won't be as depressed.

have fun at FIG :)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Leatte,

Every year, hubby and i want to go Reading, but something always happens to prevent it - one of us looses our jobs, is sick or we have deaths in the family. It happens with so much regularity, that I've actually started to dread that time of the year. Plus, with buying our "fixer-upper" of a house, we rarely have extra money for traveling anymore.

If it makes you feel any better - we could plan a knitting/crochet day and you could come over and laugh at the dump of a house I live in. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn