Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Miu Miu goes 40s for fall 2011

rue

Miu-Miu-RF11-2236.jpg

More about it here:

http://fashionista.com/2011/03/miu-miu-fall-2011-in-a-league-of-her-own/

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I didn't even notice that, but you're right lol

There are a few other designers that are saying that they were inspired by the 40s too like Marc Jacobs.... to quote the article: "there was an obvious vintage influence found in the 40s’ silhouettes"
http://fashiongonerogue.com/marc-jacobs-fall-2011-york-fashion-week/
I'm just not seeing it [huh]

I think it may be the fact that they are emphasizing the hour glass figure? Is that what they are refering to? And the hats? I'm getting more of an 80s vibe from some of that stuff.

On a side note, I wonder if they padded the models around the hips. Most modern models have little as far as hips (more stick shaped from below the bust down), unless they starting hiring differently shaped ladies than they were a few years ago.

maisie

Practically Family
Yes some of the items, especially the block colour coat/dress things, are giving off a 80s vibe! I wish designers would come up with something new. I mean I love the 40s and think it was a classy era, but designers are meant to design some NEW not just copy previous stuff. We would never have got to wehre we are today fasion wise if past designers hadn't come up with new, innovating ways to dress! Its seem like they are just repeating fashion eras for each season now... this summer was the 50's now fall is all about the 40's....:rolleyes: On the plus side the high street may do good copies!

Last edited:

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can't find it anywhere online, but in the latest H&M magazine (the one that's given out at the stores), they say that Fall 2011 will be very 30's-40's inspired. That seems to be the buzz every year though. I hope it's true!

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer

zombi

A-List Customer
I think a lot of those look very 80s too!

But I admit I'd not mind to see fall fashion go 40s inspired. I might be able to pick up some good basic pieces!

Miss Flora

New in Town
I will gladly take Mui Mui's 1940s looks instead of the 1980s rehash I see being sported: jeggings with crop tops and metallic or neon shoes.

I would love to see designers do something new and fresh. However, it seems like the best stuff–to me anyway–has already been done. Some designers idea of new is just too weird for my taste. I love Givenchy and Balenciaga for designing clothes that were new and fresh, but still very lovely.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Don't forget the 80's saw a large rehash of the 40's too. Think Sean Young in Bladerunner and The Hunger too. Fashion always looks back when times is hard! Given the current global recession of the last couple of years I'm surprised its taken this long.

And, yes, death to the 70's maxi dress look, that seems to have been around forever. I went to a funeral last year and one of the women there was wearing a strapless black maxi dress, she looked as if she was just off to the beach - what are people thinking?

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Don't forget the 80's saw a large rehash of the 40's too. Think Sean Young in Bladerunner and The Hunger too. Fashion always looks back when times is hard! Given the current global recession of the last couple of years I'm surprised its taken this long.

And, yes, death to the 70's maxi dress look, that seems to have been around forever. I went to a funeral last year and one of the women there was wearing a strapless black maxi dress, she looked as if she was just off to the beach - what are people thinking?

I agree I think the 80's was trying to cover both the 40's and 50's. Lots of shoulderpads, and prom dresses were very 50's prom dress inspired.

cohenandgalo

New in Town
I really want this crepe blouse from Miu Miu's Fall 2011 collection - unfortunately, I will never have the opportunity to afford it. I've been looking for a simple 1940's blouse but I haven't had any luck in finding one that I like.

Drappa

One Too Many
Last edited:

cohenandgalo

New in Town
Drappa - thanks for the suggestion. I wish there was a Topshop in california. Hopefully Zara will produce a similar blouse to Miu Miu's later on this season.

fortworthgal - I like your jacket in your avatar (or profile pic).

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Last edited:

cohenandgalo

New in Town
The costume design for 'Evita' was impeccably done - Penny Rose did a damn great job in captivating the period. I nearly coveted every single piece Madonna wore, especially the suits.

On another note, the costume design for the upcoming (Windsor) film 'W.E.' will be 'couture perfect' too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy