Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mixing Eras

Sunny

One Too Many
My experience with 1950s styles: You must tighten the waist. The proper look doesn't rely on a big skirt. It relies on a big skirt AND a proportionately small waist. If the waist isn't fitted, it's going to look like a sack on everybody.

Ways to get the big skirt/small waist combination:

• Fit the bodice, especially the waist, to your body. A loose bust isn't a big deal, but a loose waist is a catastrophe.
  • Use a belt or a sash. This may work even if the dress isn't fitted right; just experiment to see if it defines the waist enough without causing a lot of weird folds or wrinkles.
  • Use a foundation garment. I have naturally about 28/39 waist and hip difference. But for my 1950s stuff to look right, I'm using a waist cincher that gives me about a 26.5" waist. It looks SO much better. It's not just bringing the size down; it's making it firm. Wiggly waist rolls won't work for 1950s! :D
  • Wear a petticoat. Even a small one will work. You must keep the skirt from hanging straight down from the hips. That defeats the whole point of having a full skirt, and it destroys the waist/hip proportion you want.

So don't give up on the dress! I've made things that were 2 sizes too big, too. Just fit that waist somehow and try your petticoats and see what happens.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Sunny said:
[*]Use a foundation garment. I have naturally about 28/39 waist and hip difference. But for my 1950s stuff to look right, I'm using a waist cincher that gives me about a 26.5" waist. It looks SO much better. It's not just bringing the size down; it's making it firm. Wiggly waist rolls won't work for 1950s! :D

If I may ask, where did you get your waist cincher? I have the Rago 1294 girdle, but sometimes that just doesn't cut it.:eusa_doh:

Sunny

One Too Many
StaceFace said:
If I may ask, where did you get your waist cincher? I have the Rago 1294 girdle, but sometimes that just doesn't cut it.:eusa_doh:
Rago 21. It's my first modern piece of shapewear, and it's very good. It amazingly has about the most comfortable garters I've ever worn, too. Note: It is decidedly not for earlier years, just about anything pre-1945. It emphasizes the waist and gives a definite round-hipped New Look. One thing to remember about shapewear is that while one piece gives one shape, another piece gives another. The 1294 is an earlier vintage-styled piece that would be terrific for 1930s and early 1940s - anything needing slim hips.

Miss Honey Bare

New in Town
I love mixing it up. I'm just as inclined to put on a pair of ripped fish net stockings and big stompy boots with a floaty tea dress and victory rolls as I am to sashay out in a prom dress complete with pomp, pearls and pumps.

I'm a bit of a psycobilly I guess.
I'm heavily tattooed and quite pierced and I love glamour in an 'un-done' kind of way :D

SassyLindaB

Familiar Face
Miss Honey Bare said:
I love mixing it up. I'm just as inclined to put on a pair of ripped fish net stockings and big stompy boots with a floaty tea dress and victory rolls as I am to sashay out in a prom dress complete with pomp, pearls and pumps.

I'm a bit of a psycobilly I guess.
I'm heavily tattooed and quite pierced and I love glamour in an 'un-done' kind of way :D

psycobilly! I love that!:eusa_clap

Miss Honey Bare

New in Town
SassyLindaB said:
psycobilly! I love that!:eusa_clap

Why thank you Sassy :)

I think it was more to do with giving in. I'm very clumsy and always end up ripping/ruining something, so I just went with the whole 'undone and slightly' trashy look'
My ex told me that the thing he found super sexy was the way I stomp around in big boots but still look cute with ruffles and pearls at the same time, it's funny the things that turn men on.

Molly O'Star

New in Town
My grandmother has had the same hairstyle for, oh, about 80 years now. She's turning 93 this year, and still remembers how daring she felt when, at 13, she cut her hair short. Since that fateful haircut, she's worn her hair short and curled. She still puts curlers in every other night!

So, she went through the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and the new millennium with the SAME hairstyle. She used henna in the 40s, 50s, and 60s (not for the entire 30 years), but otherwise has been blonde (and now white). Her hair was totally authentic, as she lived through the decades.

So, I say mix it up. If you find a great style that works for you (hi, Anna Wintour and her bob), wouldn't you keep using it over and over, even after the New Year? While I understand the specific year/decade approach to retro and vintage style, IMHO, it's less authentic. How many people (especially those who lived through the 20s, 30s, 40s, etc) have furniture, appliances, cars, jewelry, and a wardrobe from one specific year or a five- or ten-year period? Not many. Don't feel bad about using pieces you like from one decade and mixing them with another. If you feel good, go for it.

On the other hand, there's a very valid point to be made that a 40s hairstyle looks incongruous with a 20s flapper dress. (And is chronologically impossible.) And, there's something very satisfying about nailing a specific year or decade, particularly if it "calls to you." ;) However, that takes a lot of dedication and is no easy task. (Kudos to you ladies who manage it!)

In short, you will look most beautiful when you feel good about yourself. Go for it!

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
I used to dress completely and exclusively within a given era. Usually the late 30's to the war era. Sometimes New Look, and added the mid-50's a bit later. At the time, the only major rules I broke were leaving the house without gloves (sometimes), and wearing rhinestones in the daytime. At the time, I would have said, like retrogal1941, that I simply couldn't have done otherwise - it wouldn't be me! My partner-in-crime, however, always mixed it up, and still looked fabulous all the time.

It rubbed off on me a little bit, I guess. If I am going out dancing, I love to be very authentic; hair - makeup - clothing. But if I'm going out estate saling or to the grocery store, I might wear a 50's sweater with a 40's skirt, and 30's style wedges. I wear all sort of 50's tops with my 40's styles Freddies of Pinewood jeans - their 50's Jeanies don't flatter my body type. And my hair, I generally wear parted hard to the side, and loosely curled, no matter what era I'm wearing. I do roll my hair to dress up, and love the way that looks, but my side part and rollers are generally what I use for everything from the 30's to the early 60's.

bibliotechnique

New in Town
Hello, all! I'm new here, so if this question has already been asked, please direct me to the proper thread.

I've been curious; is it OK to mix eras? What I mean is, is it OK to wear, say, a 1920's style dress, with a, say, 1940's purse and shoes? Or, doens't it matter, so long as everything coordinates as to style or color?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Sunny

One Too Many
It's completely a personal preference. If you want to look like a person from a particular era, it really helps to use items that are from that era. If you're going to an event that has a year or period set, it's nice/courteous to try to fit into it. If you just want to dress vintage in general, or make up interesting outfits, nothing's wrong with mixing and matching. It's up to you!

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
I try not to mix eras, but I only like certain things from the 40s. and I only like certain things from teh 50s.

and my hair is short, so I am stuck doing mostly 50s Do's. so .. yeah I guess I mix much more than I would like.

jacqueline101

New in Town
I mix eras too

I have 1930's eye brows and hair do with a modern flair burgandy back with blonde bangs. I wear alot of hand made hair items. I wear 1930's make up sometimes and pencil skirts. I do like my look. Today i have a 1957 inspired hair do. You have to do what feels good to you.

JennyLou

Practically Family
I'm afraid I mix eras too. I wish I didn't have to but I have a very small wardrobe or vintage looking clothing. I wish I had the money to get a whole outfit in one era but until then I have to mix.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I've got thin 30s eyebrows/makeup, 50s/60s cat's eye glasses, 1920s bobbed hair, and sew all of my clothes from 30s and 40s patterns, but usually make them in fabrics people from the 30s and 40s wouldn't dream of using.

I'm all over the place and love it/don't care what others think. I've got lots of time for 20s-60s stuff!

P

Paul

One think in my mind is that you forget with fashions back then is that ladies did like to look there best but would not be able to afford as many dressy clothes as we have today. ( The Sunday Best or wedding outfit)

It would be the wealthier ones who follow the flattest change in fashions styles to the letter, and often today they the people we see in photographs the most.
mixing eras in my opinion would happen more back then that we realize.
So I think it's what makes you feel good more than been 100% historical acute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80