Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern 100% Beaver felt fedoras.

fmw

One Too Many
Can't wait to hear all about it! Did you go with staple or beaver? I've been thinking about a good custom "beater" hat, and I'm thinking I'll pull the trigger on a staple in sahara. My rule is, one custom at a time...I have one coming from Art in the next week or so, so I'll try to be patient.

I ordered the Wedding Crasher in silverbelly rabbit, 2 3/8" bound brim, gray grosgrain hat band. I can't imagine a custom beater.

fmw

One Too Many
Can't lose with those prices, fmw. Give us a critique when you get it. I still love that Buckaroo, though.

Thanks. Me too. It has become my favorite hat. I'll be happy to post about the Falcon Park whenever it arrives.

thebroker

One of the Regulars
I was about to agree, but the thought occurs to me; what could make a better beater than a hat that can actually take a beating!?!

That's what I have in mind. While I don't ever hesitate to wear my VS in rain or snow, I do tend to avoid wearing it when I might end up getting it dirty. I'm looking for a "work hat" that I can wear when I plan to get my hands (and the rest of me, too) dirty. My thought is that, with a good quality hat, it'll just end up with character instead of severe wear when I give it a beating.

fmw

One Too Many
That's a decent point. I think I have probably bought my last factory hat of any description - modern or vintage. After receiving my first custom, I'm sold on the concept. Falcon Park can make one for less than the factory. It has to be at least that good.

thebroker

One of the Regulars
That's a decent point. I think I have probably bought my last factory hat of any description - modern or vintage. After receiving my first custom, I'm sold on the concept. Falcon Park can make one for less than the factory. It has to be at least that good.

It sounds like your hat process is almost identical to mine. After I got my first custom hat, I just didn't want to go back to wearing the factory hats. Only a hat made for me is going to fit me exactly right. Once I realized what all the custom "buzz" is about, I ended up selling almost all my factory hats.

job

One Too Many
I like the wedding crasher just the way you ordered it. At that price if it's a good hat I may never buy a factory hat again. Maybe.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Like everyone else, I'm waiting to see what your "Wedding Crasher" is like. Last year, as I recall, I wrote to Parker about recreating Bogart's hat in --

(no, not "Maltese Falcon" or "Big Sleep"; wait for it)

-- "Dark Victory," which he thought would be a fine project. Perhaps this summer he and I can put our heads together over it, and I could have it for fall.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
fmw-- congrats! Can't wait to see photos when it arrives.
Falcon Park is just too tempting. I'm considering his "julep" with a different ribbon color. I'm using my 2 beaver brand fedoras to try and figure out crown and brim dimensions; also I can't quite put my finger on these colors. What would you guys say these felt colors are? Photo taken in as much natural light as possible:
029r.jpg
[/IMG]

fmw

One Too Many
I agree with JLee's color assessment. The one with the tear drop crease reminds me of the vintage Adam hats. Nice look. My hat is going to cost $145 plus shipping. That's not even expensive by factory made standards. If the hats look as good as what I see on the web site, it is an absolute steal. It's a steal even if you had to pay someone else for a rebuild. I got an email from Parker a few minutes ago. He's travelling but says he will get back to me with an order confirmation shortly. Might as well get your order in, Bowlerman, the line isn't likely to get any shorter or the prices any lower. If his hats become more popular, you know what will happen to the prices.

fmw-- congrats! Can't wait to see photos when it arrives.
Falcon Park is just too tempting. I'm considering his "julep" with a different ribbon color. I'm using my 2 beaver brand fedoras to try and figure out crown and brim dimensions; also I can't quite put my finger on these colors. What would you guys say these felt colors are? Photo taken in as much natural light as possible:
029r.jpg
[/IMG]
Wow, beautiful hats!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks-- both second hand Beaver Brands, but I'm feeling pretty committed to a light colored Falcon Park custom creation for the summer.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I cant even fathom buying a new hat with the intention of deliberately making it a beater right out of the box.

Hi Scotty

Think of it as a work hat. I buy Dickie's Tan Work Shirts with the two pockets to shoot in. They're $20-$30, they have a pocket for a pencil (to keep score) and I don't get upset if I stain them. I plan on ordering a new Safari hat from the Major, Falcon, Roy Jackson, or Black sheep in a few months to replace the wool one that shrunk. I will order a light brownish color (pecan, whiskey, sahara, etc) so that it won't show dirt, and beaver so the rain won't shrink it next time.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo