Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern cars with vintage style

CharlesB

Suspended
As far as tapping into the vintage roadster look I still continue to be struck by the beauty of the Pontiac Solstice

06_Pontiac_Solstice_10.jpg

pgoat

One Too Many
I know everyone may hate me for it, but the PT cruiser definitely reminds me of older cars. Maybe the new VW bugs?

My first car was a 1954 Chevy (bought in 1981 from the little old lady who drove it on Sundays). Ever since then I've had a thing for old cars....Dunno if I want to own a vintage car again, but sure would like to drive around in some of the models I had years ago.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I don't think that sort of thing will ever appeal to me. I'm very much a vintage car guy. A lot of the charm of old cars is the old technology that went into them. Modern cars feel a lot more like a disposable consumer good. I can't entirely blame the manufacturers for that, however, because it's federally mandated safety equipment, environmental controls, and fuel economy standards that have resulted in cars becoming about as charming as pocket calculators. Those things are probably a good thing for the general driving public, but they just aren't my cup of tea, and all the retro styling in the world can't change that.

On the other hand, I really do like some modern cars, but by and large they have modern style. The Solstice, for example, while vaguely reminscent of certain classic roadsters like the C1 Corvette, looks modern with classic touches, not really "vintage." I might even go a bit more classic with a traditional-style mag wheel and a redline tire, but that's about it.

The PT Cruiser (along with it's spiritual predecessor the Prowler) are to me about as "vintage" as my red Target toaster. They just don't have that feel. They give me the same feeling that a '96 Caprice slammed over Denman whitewalls does - just a mixed message.

-Dave

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
The Chevy HHR is supposedly modeled after a 1946 Chevy Panel Truck, and even they do resemble a PT Cruiser just a bit -designed by the same design engineer, actually- I like mine a great deal. Was I motivated to purchase my HHR because its design was intended to have a vintage look? Absolutely! Would I rather be driving a vintage vehicle? Sure, but this is my everyday transportation and Ohio winters can be brutal on vehicles!

Jay

Practically Family
SamMarlowPI said:
the new dodge challenger is going back to its roots...
Agreed. It's the one vintage-styled car out there that actually looks close to it's original design. Even down to the spartan interior. The Mustang, only decent. The new Camaro, not even close, too modernized. Dodge has captured it pretty well, I think.

On focus: When I first saw that at the Philadelphia auto show a while back, something about held my fascination. It has very appealing lines, though the back looks kind of funny, but it captures something of the old cars. Too bad I'm too tall for the damned thing.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
JohnnyGringo said:
The Chevy HHR is supposedly modeled after a 1946 Chevy Panel Truck, and even they do resemble a PT Cruiser just a bit -designed by the same design engineer, actually- I like mine a great deal.

i borrowed my dad's HHR for a few days while i was visiting this past december and had a ton of fun driving it! i thought it had great style for a totally practical new car. he loves it as well, and it suits his needs much better than his previous car, a '74 corvette which was always breaking down and used a ton of gas! if i was in the market for a new car, the HHR would definitely be on my list of possibles.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
My Miata has the spirit of a Classic British Roadster with out the Lucas wiring.lol
You can also put more then 1 bag in the trunk. Sorry Solstice.
742755_4_full.jpg

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
The Morgan Aero 8 is pretty close. You can always buy a Lotus/Caterham Super 7 and get a design that really hasn't changed in decades.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Jay said:
Agreed. It's the one vintage-styled car out there that actually looks close to it's original design. Even down to the spartan interior. The Mustang, only decent. The new Camaro, not even close, too modernized. Dodge has captured it pretty well, I think.

On focus: When I first saw that at the Philadelphia auto show a while back, something about held my fascination. It has very appealing lines, though the back looks kind of funny, but it captures something of the old cars. Too bad I'm too tall for the damned thing.

agreed...and apparently in the new challenger there is a little bit of each original year challenger...pretty cool...

and yes, the new camaro is a big disappointment if they were shooting for the old muscle car look...

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Jovan said:
I'll probably get slayed for this, but I'd love a vintage looking car with a hybrid engine. :eek:

meeee tooooo. of course, i'm not buying a car, so it doesn't really matter! the cooper mini is pretty vintage-looking, and gets almost the mileage of a hybrid...

Jovan

Suspended
Indeed. As much as there's a charm for older technology, I just want to keep the exteriors and make the interiors a bit updated for better safety and environmental concerns. For example, give me a classic wood steering wheel, but give me updated steering control. My only conceit is that I need a stereo I can at least plug an iPod into. Unfortunately what's on the radio in most places hardly goes with the look of a '50s car. :eusa_doh:

Sarge

One of the Regulars
There are some neat looking retro inspired concept cars out there. Too bad none of them will ever make it to the production line. :mad:

2007 Holden Efijy Concept
holden_efijy_concept_2005_03_s.jpg

2002 Buick Blackhawk
buick06.jpg

Chevrolet Corvette Concept
gm-chevrolet-corvette-retro-concept.jpg

2001 Ford Forty-Nine Concept
fordfourtynine.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
OK, someone's gotta do it, so I guess it may as well be me. ;)

Here's a link to a similar thread from last year.

I remembered it because someone spoke harshly about PT Cruisers right after I posted photos of mine. I was crushed and still carry the emotional scars. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Tom

PS I hadn't yet seen that Corvette Concept, which obviously goes back to the very first Corvettes. I've always thought they got it right that first time!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I'm satisfied with my F-150 right now. If I get a second car I'll be looking at the Lincoln Town Car. V-8, rear wheel drive..... that's vintage designed, I love it! Plus the 5.4L in my truck is just an enlarged 4.6L that's in the Town Car, albeit toughened for heavy duty use. It's a hell of an engine.

I purchased a Solstice GXP this past summer and just love it. Strangely enough..my wife just bought a new Chevy HHR a few weeks ago. Pretty much a retro looking lineup in the driveway. Nice thing about these cars is a combo of classic lines....performance....35-38+ mpg...plus modern creature comforts. I for one am glad to see style along with some great engineering finally making it's way back into the lineup.

HD's car
100_0537.jpg

Mrs. HD's car
10011.jpg

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i like the panel van! my dad's HHR is a normal one with windows. he has the smoky blue color, which i think would look kinda cool with the fake wood panels on the sides. he doesn't think too highly of the idea though!

those concept cars are really cool, sarge!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou