Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern "Grizzly" Jackets?

Edward

Bartender
I am more alarmed when some takes a historical jacket designed to be worn at or just below the belt and add length to the jacket so it rides 2 inches below the belt. Looks off and slopy to my eye.

Not everyone will agree, but I am very much on the same page as you on this. I think it shows how all elements of an outfit are very much inter-related; sometimes it really is the case that it's not the jacket being too short but the trousers too low.... Interestingly, though, for all I've seen some horrendously bad looking Perfecto type jackets cut far too long to match jeans Iggy Pop would consider too low over the years, nobody seems to have thought to add a couple of niches to waistcoats. If I had a penny for every ad I've seen showing that a modern three-piece was designed to be worn with two inches of shirt front on shoe all the way around between the waistcoat and the trousers. So, so many otherwise nice, modern tweed suits I'd have actually considered for workwear had they but got the trouser waistline right (yeah, no waistcoats that look more like jerkins, please!!). I can believe anyone actually wants that look.... but then I felt the same as a seven year old child in the Summer of 82 when I saw other children wearing towelling fluro socks that didn't match, and deely boppers. I guess I was just not bon to be a fashion child...

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Maybe some of us need to get in touch with SJC... that was the jacket I regreted not getting too as I liked the style and the price was within my 'comfortable to gamble on' range.

I think the problem I had at the time was that the details/sizing were a big vague and not actually finalised anywhere then one day when I went back to have another look it was gone from the website.

Edward

Bartender
Maybe some of us need to get in touch with SJC... that was the jacket I regreted not getting too as I liked the style and the price was within my 'comfortable to gamble on' range.

I think the problem I had at the time was that the details/sizing were a big vague and not actually finalised anywhere then one day when I went back to have another look it was gone from the website.

By all means drop Simon a line. He was very proud of the Grizzly design as I recall, but to do a proper run it needs certain minimums. I liked it too (opinions can be divided on the look of the fur at the front only covering half and not going down past the pocket openings - it was actually a faithful copy of a thirties original, and ths kinda makes it stand out, imo). He might revisit it if sales do well of the other leather jacket he's had on the current collection, which is a new suppleir I think. (THailand based).

Cheech

A-List Customer
@SkyCapt., that’s a good look. Also, are those Thorogood Portage boots in indigo? I’ve got a pair in black that I love.

The more I look at these photos, the more I’m convinced that I need to make an order. I just need to figure out the leather/mouton combo.

SkyCapt.

New in Town
@SkyCapt., that’s a good look. Also, are those Thorogood Portage boots in indigo? I’ve got a pair in black that I love.

The more I look at these photos, the more I’m convinced that I need to make an order. I just need to figure out the leather/mouton combo.
yes, those are Thorogood portage indigo. The leather/mouton color combo is very important! the Grizzley is such an eye-catching jacket my choices were based on my wardrobe versatility.

Colin G

One Too Many
Grizzlies are cool but every time I see one I think of this.

Wicket_W_Warrick.png

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Agreed, @Ayeteael. My practical side has me leaning toward a mouton grizzly (and, believe me, I know--a grizzly has no practical application in my life), but now that I've seen this...

I6PnB0j.png

I can't keep my mind off it.

I'm not going to lie, @Colin G, that Ewok would make for some nice mouton panels.

This is good to know about (even if most likely out of my budget) because I would like a hair-on-hide Grizzly but Aero seems to have tightened options (the AAF-style ANJ-3 is no longer offered for instance) so I’m concerned they wouldn’t do a hair-on-hide version anymore.

It’s been nearly 5 years since I posted in this thread. I have still yet to try a grizzly. It’s one of a handful of styles I just can’t seem to get into. I am sure at this point I never will. It’s funny because I do like the way they look and I think they look great worn. But I just know I’d never wear it. It would sit in my closet and collect dust.

MrProper

It’s been nearly 5 years since I posted in this thread. I have still yet to try a grizzly. It’s one of a handful of styles I just can’t seem to get into. I am sure at this point I never will. It’s funny because I do like the way they look and I think they look great worn. But I just know I’d never wear it. It would sit in my closet and collect dust.
+1

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Before I bought one I thought the same way about the Grizzly, probably a jacket I'd wear once or twice.

It's not a jacket I wear daily but I wear it at least 10-15 times a year which is a lot considering the number of jackets I own. I wear it more than any of my Lewis leathers jackets or some of my vintage mc jackets.

It's a great jacket for a walk in the park on a cold winter day. I find it more comfortable to wear than my shearling B-2 because the Grizzly doesn't have shearling lined sleeves and therefore allows for better movement.

I think a Grizzly would look great on you @ton312, it would also be very practical for the Chicago winters.

4563BB1B-C60D-4B93-866F-7CA16AD20427.jpeg
6F5F814A-5F3F-486A-9900-5BC1F90631FC.jpeg

RossRYoung

Practically Family
I have a few different proper winter jackets, and I’d also say it’s more of niche wearer. Needs to be below 40* but not terribly windy and no moisture. Throw in either of those and the grizzly probably wouldn’t be sufficient. I haven’t taken mine out in single digit temps yet either, but it’s feeling like it might be warm enough to push the 0 barrier with proper layering.

El Marro

Ditto. I really like the Mister Freedom Baloo :

https://misterfreedom.com/products/baloo-jacket-two-tone-black-veg-tan-leather

I came close to pulling the trigger on one of these about a year ago when they had it in stock at standard and strange. The 25” back length stopped me though, I know I would be forever, tugging down the back of the jacket trying to gain another inch or so.

Cheech

A-List Customer
Ditto. I really like the Mister Freedom Baloo :

https://misterfreedom.com/products/baloo-jacket-two-tone-black-veg-tan-leather

I came close to pulling the trigger on one of these about a year ago when they had it in stock at standard and strange. The 25” back length stopped me though, I know I would be forever, tugging down the back of the jacket trying to gain another inch or so.
The Baloo is what pulled me in a few years ago. I bought one during some holiday sale. I’m 6’1.5”, and the size 42 fit me really well. That said, I didn’t care for the matte black leather treatment—it looked like it was painted on with my kids’ water colors. There was no depth whatsoever. The mouton looked like a hastily done grown-out hair dye treatment, too. All in all, I thought it paled in person in comparison to how it’s photographed, so I sold it. It didn’t help either that I could barely squeeze my hands, which are not huge by any means, into the pockets.

I’ve since commissioned a beautiful russet Badalassi/cream mouton grizzly from Aero. I need to get some photos posted. @ton, I suspect you could live in a grizzly during those Chicago winters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner