Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Movies Set in the Golden Era

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
The Julie Andrews special:

The Sound of Music
Victor/Victoria

Ok, not quite modern, but not from the period either....

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
for adventure fans

The Phantom
The Shadow
I've even enjoyed cruddy movies alittle because of the golden age setting, including but limited to, Matthew Blackheart: Monster Smasher and Jane and the Lost City.

Sincerely,
the Wolf

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
The Call of Cthulhu (2005)

For me the epitome of the 20s and 30s in terms of literature is H.P. Lovecraft and therefore this independent, fan-made, movie based on The Call of Ctulhu. What's so wonderful about it is that even though it's made recently it's in all black and white and it's a silent movie, with all the style you'd ever wish from a silent movie from the early 20th century. It's reached pretty good success and what I last heard from the society that made it is that they're working on another one of Lovecraft's stories, this time filmed in a 1950s style. If you want more info or even to order Call of Cthulhu you can go here: http://www.cthulhulives.org/cocmovie/

MAGNAVERDE

New in Town
Radio Days for getting everything right.

The Last Tycoon with Robert DeNiro for getting the look right. There's a streamlined moderne office that I can still see clearly, 30 years after watching this movie--once. The scene of DeNiro & Jack Nicholsen also taught me the importance of being able to cross my legs like a person of substance, not a slob. And I loved the pastiches of period music.

Farewell My Lovely with Robert Mitchum & Charlotte Rampling, for the endless streeet of rain-reflected neon signs.

The Rocketeer for the over-the-top scenic design, especially the dog-shaped diner & the Art Deco nightclub & the bad guy's Hollywood Baroque hacienda, although the girlfriend didn't look anything close to the period.

Back to the Future for the perfect little downtown, Biff's jacket & Lorraine's strapless dress. Wowza.
-----------------------

Still waiting on seeing

The Cotton Club
Gods & Monsters
The Aviator

-----------------------

And Joie de Vive mentions The Sound of Music, which is set during the period, but I was in junior high when it came out and even then, I remember thinking that there was no visual clue as to when it was taking place. The fancy-schmancy decor & random-but-drab color schemes of the Hoff von Trapp had a weird, out-of-time quality, and I couldn't help but wonder in which decade anything that I was seeing had ever been in style.
----------------------

marquise

Familiar Face
Carnivale, which is the only item of television I've truly watched. It's my one true love, I think I've seen the series in order about 7 times. The Dust Bowl never looked prettier. My boy & are considering being Brother Justin & Iris for next Halloween.
Also Road to Perdition (30s), the 1997 filming of Lolita (40s), Bonnie & Clyde (30s), Chariots of Fire (20s), Sweet & Lowdown (30s), Carrington (teens-30s), Gosford Park (30s), The Green Mile (30s), Roger Rabbit of course, & I grew up obsessed with The Rocketeer & its obscene Deco hotness.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
CharlieH. said:
Siiiiigh, now there's one of those rare movies that are nothing short of a miracle, especially when it came to that marvelous blend of cartoons and live action.
But since the apparent focus of the thread is the setting......

PDVD_168.jpg

Idyllic, eh?

You know what's funny about this photo. I know exactly what intersection it is. I think a lot of people here who are familar with the area know as well.

I don't have a favorite film. They're all great.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
This is my list of fave movies set in and around (without being made in) the Golden Era that I could just watch over and over again.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Once Upon a Time in America
The Godfather I (and stretching for part II)
The Aviator
A League of Their Own
A Christmas Story

and I guess if we're gonna stretch the around part into the 50s I can't forget to list:

Back to the Future
Pleasantville (oooh how i want to fall into the tv screen with Tobey Mcguire)

MissHuff

A-List Customer
ShooShooBaby said:
racing with the moon

OGOSH I haven't thought about this movie in soooo long. OH! the scene afterward when he doesn't even walk her to the door! :eusa_doh: Wish I had an ondemand button that played any movie I wanted right about now.

poetman

A-List Customer
Once Upon a Time in America
Godfather I
The End of an Affair
The English Patient

(I really love Ralph Fiennes' work, and he seems to work a lot of period pieces.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn