Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Movies Set in the Golden Era

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
More:

Peggy Sue Got Married

Lady Sings the Blues

Grease

The Color Purple

The English Patient has been mentioned, it was one of my favorite films, along with Lawrence of Arabia and Dr. Zhivago (both a bit pre-Golden Era, both David Lean films)

karol

Empyrium

One of the Regulars
Movies Portraying Olden Days

Ladies and Gentlemen...
How about to make a list of movies portraying the good olden days?
ages from 1800~1950...
Starting list with:

The Untouchables (1987)

Road to Perdition (2002)

The Illusionist (2006)

Naphtali

Practically Family
Quite a stretch of time you identify. I'll limit myself to turn of the century and newer.

The Last Hurrah (1958)

Inherit the Wind (1960)

The Strawberry Blonde (1941)

The Music Man (1962)

An American Romance (1944)

Pittsburgh (1942)

Shepard of the Hills (1941)

The Spoilers (1914, 1923 [seen], 1942 [seen], 1955 [seen])

The Far Country (1955)

Gigi (1956)

The Professionals (1966)

Emperor of the North (1973)

Death Hunt (1981)

Sunset (1988)
more anon?

list of modern "old" Movies

Hello all! I was wondering if anyone has compiled a list of modern movies set in the 30's-40's? I am working on a new suit and am looking for a good source for a visual referece.

K

kpreed

This has been done before and there is many films, but my favorites set in the 40s are "Tucker" and "Seabiscuit". Jeff staring in both was not my plan in any way.

Lost in the 40's

Thanks for such a warm welcome! I will put it on my to 'see' list. My personal favorite for an amazing amount of vintage look was 'The Aviator'. I am cuurently testing the tailor waters and trying my hand at tailering my own suit. I will post some pics at the suit forum when I have something to show.

Cheers!

Naphtali

Practically Family
Probably your two best sources -- best because they are immensely entertaining while have the wardrobe cues you want -- are "The Sting" (1973) and "The Untouchables" (1987).

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
Any reason you don't want to look at actual forties movies for ideas? My roommate is a tailor and can't get any satisfaction from modern period movies, goes right to the genuine article. Cary Grant or Fred Astaire movies come to mind. Looking forward to the pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace