Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Movies Set in the Golden Era

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I second "the Lover" and third "Road to Perdition", which is one of my favorite movies ever.

I'd also strongly recommend "The Good Shepherd". Great movie!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Panache said:
The Rocketeer

Jennifer Connelly and Timonthy Dalton have several great outfits.

Cheers

Jamie

i'd die for the jacket bill cambell has though ..that's one of the main reason i watch the movie lollol

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
SamMarlowPI said:
i'd die for the jacket bill cambell has though ..that's one of the main reason i watch the movie lollol

That jacket used to be available through Magnoli Clothiers, but it looks like he might have dropped it from the line. I'll bet if you ask real nice he would make you one.....

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Mossyrock said:
That jacket used to be available through Magnoli Clothiers, but it looks like he might have dropped it from the line. I'll bet if you ask real nice he would make you one.....

Sure... I'll make you a Rocketeer jacket anytime you want... ;) Drop me a line.

Kind regards,
Indy

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"Lonely Hearts" with John Travolta (really, he's pretty good in this one) and James Gandolfini. Salma Heyak is in it, too. Its a good one set in the '40's.

C.K.Farnsworth

One of the Regulars
Atonement is my pick

It was so meticulously costumed. The period tux that James McAvoy wears is impeccable pay close attention to the top of where the sleves are stitched to the shoulders this is a detail I have only seen in my vintage catalogs. And the green dress Keira knightley wears in that same sequence is beyond amazing. also little details like the items on McAvoy's toiletry table when he is getting ready. It is like a period film in vivid color with a giant magnifying glass on every period detail... to people like us who watch for that stuff, but not in a bad way and it doesn't detract from the story.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bright Young Things, Cat's Meow (about what MIGHT have happened on Hearst's yacht shortly before Ince has that fatal case of indigestion that resulted in his death with the bullet hole in the back of his head that was glossed over in the autopsy), Great Gatsby, Untouchables, The Shadow, Dick Tracy, Bugsy...

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
KY Gentleman said:
Mahogonny Bill- I gotta get a shirt like you have in your avatar! Thats great.

Thanks! The shirt is not exactly vintage, but the picture shows off my Panama.

I was going to PM you the link for where I got my shirt, but it looks like my account is too new to do that. You can get the shirt at Jinx.com
(Apologies to everyone else for going off topic)

Hondo

One Too Many
Many good choices

I say pick an era like late 1920s or early 1930s, what comes to mind are "The Sand Pebbles" and "The Wind and the Lion", now 1940s, 1950s?

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Miller's Crossing. One of my favorite films of all time.
Dark City (though not techically golden era, it has a great noir feel and look)
Angel Heart
Fallen Angels (original Showtime series of 6 noir shorts) Never released on DVD. Worth searching for on VHS. Two volumes.
Fallen Angels II (Released abroad as Perfect Crimes only in PAL format DVD). Never released in US in any format.
Public Eye (find on VHS if you can. Never released on DVD)
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (Steve Martin Noir spoof)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn