Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Movies Set in the Golden Era

Oldy moldy!

Any reason you don't want to look at actual forties movies for ideas? My roommate is a tailor and can't get any satisfaction from modern period movies, goes right to the genuine article. Cary Grant or Fred Astaire movies come to mind. Looking forward to the pics[/QUOTE

I like color. Most of these prop suits are vintage and what a veriety of colors!
Don't get me wrong I love vintage movies, I just watched Arsnic and old Lace, Cary Grant and those wide lapels.

Feraud

Bartender
SonOfaPreacher said:
I like color. Most of these prop suits are vintage and what a veriety of colors!
Don't get me wrong I love vintage movies, I just watched Arsnic and old Lace, Cary Grant and those wide lapels.
Even with this comment in mind I suggest studying older films, photos, and looking at menswear catalogs.

The variety of colors comes more from the shirts, ties, and hats, than from the suit material itself. Having a tailor copy the suit details and construction from a vintage source is more reliable than hoping a recent film used vintage clothes.

hat in my hands!

Very good point. Vintage is the only way to go! you folks have been so helpfull, it's like a breath of fresh air in this smoggy, fast paced life. I will definetly check out as many of the movie mentioned as well as fall back on the old standbys. Maltese Falcon was a real good flick for suits as well as sharp looking lids. :eusa_doh:

Cracker

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the list, MK and FLers. I've been compiling my own list of period movies from many different eras, but I'd add these to your Golden Age list:

De-Lovely
Bugsy
Cinderella Man
RKO 281
The Good German
The Good Shepherd
Driving Miss Daisy
Mr. and Mrs. Bridge
Far From Heaven (1950s)

poetman

A-List Customer
Modern Golden Era Films

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a list--or even suggestions from fellow Loungers--on contermporary films set in the Golden Era. I enjoy modern period pieces and enjoy getting crisp, clear shots of wardrobe, living quaters, colors, etc. It's a different expereince than actual 40's era films, but a welcome change. Well, any suggestions would be very appreicated.
Thanks.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
poetman said:
As the title suggests, I'm looking for a list--or even suggestions from fellow Loungers--on contermporary films set in the Golden Era. I enjoy modern period pieces and enjoy getting crisp, clear shots of wardrobe, living quaters, colors, etc. It's a different expereince than actual 40's era films, but a welcome change. Well, any suggestions would be very appreicated.
Thanks.

The White Countess

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'd strongly recommend "Cinderella Man," the Russell Crowe-Renee Zellwegger vehicle from a couple years back as one of the best recent film depictions of the 1930s. Unlike a lot of films, it wasn't an idealized Rainbow Room kind of depiction -- instead you got an honest look at what the world really looked like for the urban working class during the Depression. The set design and costuming was dead-on in depicting this millieu.

Herr Hitman

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
I'd strongly recommend "Cinderella Man," the Russell Crowe-Renee Zellwegger vehicle from a couple years back as one of the best recent film depictions of the 1930s. Unlike a lot of films, it wasn't an idealized Rainbow Room kind of depiction -- instead you got an honest look at what the world really looked like for the urban working class during the Depression. The set design and costuming was dead-on in depicting this millieu.

I really like LA Confidential.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Chinatown
chinatown%20sce%20capture%205.jpg

The Natural
Movie%20Still%20-%20Iris.jpg

Bound for Glory
00%2Bbound%2Bfor%2Bglory.jpg

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
FAREWELL MY LOVELY
Though it's next to impossible to find these days.

HOLLYWOODLAND
THE BLACK DAHLIA (it's not a very good picture, but it looks sharp)

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Road To Perdition
The Untouchables
Last Man Standing
The Mummy & O'Brother Where Art Thou? may be a little earlier than the Golden Era...

Rittmeister

Familiar Face
Here is a list of some of my favorites. I have tried to avoid those that mostly take place in military settings, and more on those that show period clothes, rooms, etc. Unfortunately, it is a mixed bag in terms of authenticity. What most films rarely get right are the hairstyles, mainly the men. Men wore their hair very differently in the 30's and 40's, and it did vary by country.

Since I am a big fan of foreign films I have listed several that are really worth checking out. Most are available on video. I will add more as I remember them.

U.S./English:

Swing Kids (30’s German kids into swing and jazz)
The English Patient
Evita (Madonna version of Webber musical)
Atonement
The End of the Affair (WWII London)
Remains of the Day (English 30’s upper class and servants)
Richard III (Ian McKellen version)
Love’s Labor’s Lost (Shakespeare done as a 30’s musical)
De-Lovely (musical bio of Cole Porter)
The Aviator (great sets and clothes)
A Good Woman
Gosford Park (English 30’s estate weekend)
Once Upon a Time in America
Road to Perdition
Seabiscuit
The Untouchables
Bugsy
Last Man Standing (remake of samurai film set in 30’s SW)

German:

Comedian Harmonists (story of the 30’s German acapella group)
Lili Marlene (Swiss singer in WWII Germany)

Italian:

The Conformist (deco sets)
Garden of the Finzi Contini (Italian Jewish family in fascist Italy)

French:

The Lover (30’s Vietnam)
La Vie En Rose (bio of Edith Piaf)

Spanish:

La Niña de Tus Ojos (The Girl of Your Dreams) (Spanish actors work on film at UFA studios in Berlin)
Las Cosas del Querer (Spanish musical hall performers)

Argentina:

Eva Peron (Argentine made bio)
Double or Nothing (story about Carlos Gardel the famous tango singer)

Misc Foreign:

Black Book (Dutch resistance during WWII)
Sunshine (three generations of Hungarian family (1914 – 1956) played by Ralph Fiennes)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Just adding a couple to this excellent list:

"One Against the Wind", with Judy Davis as a British Countess working in France against the Nazis during WW II.

"The House on Carroll Street", Kelly McGillis against Russian spies, in Brooklyn around 1951, with a great denouement in Grand Central Terminal.

donCarlos

Practically Family
I have to promote one czech movie nominated for Oscar - Dark Blue World (about czech pilots in RAF during the WWII, I think it has a very strong story)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace