Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Movies Set in the Golden Era

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Stallone had a couple flicks in this catagory, "F.I.S.T." and "Paradise Alley".
Of the two "F.I.S.T." was the better one and it tells the tale of a Hoffa inspired union leaders rise to power.
"Paper Moon" was a great flick as well, Ryan O'Neal paired with daughter Tatum O'Neal as a pair of travelling con artists in the '30's. Good stuff.

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW

- how the future SHOULD have been!

poster.jpg

TwoHats640.jpg

PollyPerkinsCamera640.jpg

Pretty Polly Perkins and her Argus C3!

SkyCaptainPlane640.jpg

City.jpg

Robots640.jpg

MantaStation640.jpg

Go Royal Navy!!!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Lulu-in-Ny said:
I know it's 50's, but Good Night & Good Luck is fantastic.

Have you ever seen Kurosawa's Yojimbo? LMS is a remake of it.
so is Fistful Of Dollars...
could give Cincinatti Kid a try...30s i believe, though McQueen doesn't quite fit the bill, Eddie G does...
can't go wrong with Dick Tracy...
The Godfather...40s...
not sure if you want to go this far but Back To The Future is '55...lol
and, of course, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?...'47 i think...

DecoDahlia

Familiar Face

poetman

A-List Customer
Thanks all, this thread is bringing out some great films! Where do you all get them from? Blockbuster and Hollywood video are swinging a big miss. My local library is decent. Some of these look real good! Thanks again!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
poetman said:
Thanks all, this thread is bringing out some great films! Where do you all get them from? Blockbuster and Hollywood video are swinging a big miss. My local library is decent. Some of these look real good! Thanks again!
I don't know where in Florida you live, poetman, but your branch library might be able to have them sent there from other libraries in the system, free or for a small fee. Try looking for the titles in the card catalog (which might be on computer).
Most of these movies aren't so esoteric that a public library wouldn't have them.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Anyone ever see RKO 281?
Neat movie starring Liev Schreiber as Orson Welles and the (dramatized) making of Citizen Kane. Malkovitch is in it, as is Melanie Griffith, great clothes and interiors.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Radio Days
Curse of the Jade Scorpion
Warm Springs
Cannery Row
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
Empire of the Sun
Fat Man & Little Boy
Mulhollan Falls
Johnny Dangerously
Lassiter
High Road to China
Death Hunt
The Man Who Wasn't There
My Favorite Year
Pennies From Heaven (Steve Martin version)
The Phantom
The Shadow
The Purple Rose of Cairo
Tucker - The Man and his Dream

Just a short list that I could think of off the top of my noggin. Some of these aren't on DVD yet, but they do show up on TCM or AMC on occasion.

Cheers!

Dan

Rittmeister

Familiar Face
From the looks of the first trailer, Nicole Kidman's new "Australia" will probably have some great period sets and costumes. There is a big article with fashions from the film in the current Vogue.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Leatherheads

I just saw Leatherheads last week. I can't recommend it for the plot (or script or acting), but it is chock-full of great pre-depression 1920s styles from all economic classes. Worth a rental if you like the era.

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
Two Tom Selleck flicks come to mind... "High Road to China" and "Lassiter". Neither of which, strangely enough, have ever been released on DVD. [huh]

ron521

One of the Regulars
What are your favorite movies depicting life during the Golden Age? Doesn't have to have actually been made then, just about that era.

Several come to mind..."The Trip To Bountiful", "The Rocketeer", "Tucker", "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"...also "Key Largo", "Dark Passage", "Casablanca", "
Sunset Boulevard".

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
For movies set in the Golden Age, but not filmed in them my favorites are: "The Aviator," "LA Confidential," "Miller's Crossing," "Bugsey", and "Big Night."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn