Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Movies Set in the Golden Era

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Bright Young Things" Might be my favorite modern day film ever!

"The Aviator" what I wouldn't do to own some of the dresses worn by Kate and Cate!

"The Notebook" I love this film, even though it is a bit sappy. Great clothes, great setting, great cars.
"Wings of The Dove"
"A Good Woman"
"Lolita" creepy, but good...
"Radio Days" I agree, this film gets everything right!
"Lost in Yonkers" a nice companion for above mentioned movie.
"Bette Page"

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I will second the Indiana Jones films.

And Lolita (40s), I love Mama Charlotte Haze's clothes! Not to mention Jeremy Irons looks sharp.

I also can't believe I left out O, Brother Where Art Thou (30s). Definitely one of my all time favorite flicks.

Another classic to add To Kill a Mockingbird (30s). The film left much out from the book but I don't believe there's another person on this earth who could or would play Atticus as well as Gregory Peck.

A new one to add Pan's Labyrinth (40s). If you haven't seen this film you must. It is excellent.

Naphtali

Practically Family
"The Flimflam Man" (1967)

"The Cincinnati Kid" (1965)

"The Untouchables" (1987)

"The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" (1969) It's Britain in the 30s, but still kosher.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

A River Runs Through It and The Natural...two of my favorite films.

Pink Dahlia, To Kill A Mockingbird is my all-time favorite film. The courtroom scene just after Atticus loses Tom's case, more than any other single thing in my life, was what compelled me go to law school.

Atticus

green papaya

One Too Many
Bonnie & Clyde 1967 starring Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway

Dillinger 1973 starring Warren Oates as "Dillinger"

Angels with Dirty Faces 1938 starring James Cagney as "Rocky Sullivan"

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Atticus Finch said:
Pink Dahlia, To Kill A Mockingbird is my all-time favorite film. The courtroom scene just after Atticus loses Tom's case, more than any other single thing in my life, was what compelled me go to law school.

Atticus

That's the mostest awesomest thing I've ever heard. No really, it is. I guess that's how powerful Gregory Peck was.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I liked the Indy movies, at least two of the three. Also To Kill a Mockingbird, A River Runs Through It, Out of Africa (think it was pre-Golden era), Sounder; I liked the book Seabiscuit, but did not see the movie.

There are others, but these come to mind immediately.

karol

Kimberly

Practically Family
Atticus Finch said:
Hi Folks,

A River Runs Through It and The Natural...two of my favorite films.

Atticus

It is one of my top five as well. In fact, I got my son so hooked on the film that he is now reading the book which is just as good.

I have never seen a courtroom scene as moving as the one in To Kill a Mockingbird. Congrats on law school! :eusa_clap

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for remembering Julia, I enjoyed that film.

Also:

Chinatown

The Way We Were

They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

There are others, will list them as I think of them.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart