Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Shirt collars...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Modern shirt collars, for the most part and with only afew exceptions are lacking in vintage appropriate detailing. When people wear a modern shirt with a vintage suit- it just doesn't quite work.

'30s/'40s collars had longer points, were less spread and had 'the back curve'- a stylish and functional detail, which allows the collar to conform to the shape of the wearer's chest- when the clooar is fastened, the outside edge folows the contour. This feature or detail is more apparent and necessary on collars with longer points.

This illustration is of a '30s shirt-
Lampron_Shirt_B.jpg

They just look better, especially with a vintage ensemble and particularly with a vintage tie- making the most of the whole-

See this thread for a modern assortment-
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=2228&highlight=collars

Attention to detail gets noticed!

B
T

If a modern shirt collar is straight pointed and soft (but accepts collar stays), you can easily give it a longer, '30s look. All you have to do is soak the collar in hot water for a minute or two. Then, take the collar and stretch the points out by slowly but forcefully pulling on them with your hands. Do this two or three times until the points look long enough. Then, let the collar dry by itself or put it in a dryer (low heat). Below is a photo of the result I achieved with a Banana Republic shirt:

SuitsetcSept505010.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Veronica Parra said:
If a modern shirt collar is straight pointed and soft (but accepts collar stays), you can easily give it a longer, '30s look. All you have to do is soak the collar in hot water for a minute or two. Then, take the collar and stretch the points out by slowly but forcefully pulling on them with your hands. Do this two or three times until the points look long enough. Then, let the collar dry by itself or put it in a dryer (low heat). Below is a photo of the result I achieved with a Banana Republic shirt:

SuitsetcSept505010.jpg

One question though. Once you wash & dry it again won't the materials memory bounce it back to it's original shape? Curious.

Cheers!

Dan

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
If some companies would just take the button holes and the buttons off of their button downs, they would have shirts which would look straight out of the 30's.

With many modern shirt makers, many of the button down collars are longer in front and have a sharper point while their standard straight collars have evolved into short semi cuttaways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo