Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

modern things you haven't experienced

Flivver

Practically Family
I'll never be the target customer for Best Buy or Circuit City. So far, I have managed to do without the following:

cel phone, pager, PDA - I value my privacy too much
answering machine - I have one at work, though
cordless phone - I prefer the quality of a classic Western Electric phone
iPod - records, and CDs are more fun, as are the devices to play them on
cable/dish TV - I prefer to watch videos/DVDs. I still have a rooftop antenna
HDTV - I guess I will be forced into this by 2009
satellite radio
video games
SUV - I prefer the fuel economy and aesthetics of a car or station wagon

If all this makes me a ludite (as my cousin recently called me), so be it.

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
I've never experienced or used a GPS unit. I don't go out of my area all that often, and can't justify the expense, yet. I don't own an HDTV yet for cost reasons.

The previous mentions about iPods and TIVOs bemuses me. I have both, and couldn't imagine life without them at this point. The ability to watch or listen to what I want, whenever and wherever I want is simply awesome. I find it hard to watch live television at this point (I instinctively reach for the remote to fast-forward commercials), and I haven't listened to AM/FM radio in my car in years (beyond occasional checks of traffic conditions).

CharlieH.

One Too Many
There's plenty of things that I utterly refuse to touch, simply by virtue of their modernity, and by extension, their unpleasant "coolness" (as well as other reasons). I may have experienced some of these things, but now I avoid them like the plague. Off the top of my head I can recall instant messaging (AIM, MSN, that sort of thing), video games of any kind no matter how fun they may seem, certain television shows, MTV (which I dread to no end), knowledge of modern pop culture (though sometimes I take a peek for some cheap laughs), ball point pens, unnecessary plastics, credit cards, modern slang and above all, the mother of all modern annoyances, cellular telephones.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Never had a microwave, dishwasher, tumble dryer, ipod, games machine of whatever name, food processor or other electric kitchen thingy (with the exception of kettle, toaster, and a wee electric whizzy thing for puree-ing soup). Have tonnes of gadgets for work, but that's kind of unavoidable. Have got a cell but I can't do anything except phone somebody and I don't have reception most of the time anyway so it's kind of redundant - so could everybody who knows my number stop texting me, 'cos I can't send one back... and use the land line!!!!! ;)

Don't have a sound system for music, or any kind of surround sound thing for the dvd player (but I do have one of those - can't miss out on repeat watchings of Cpt Jack Sparrow now can I!)

Have never bought into the holiday abroad thing, and have only been in a plane about 6 times - which is a bummer because I quite like that whooshy taking off stuff. But there you go. Global hot house and all...

I don't have any friends - does that count? :D

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I never planned to buy an ipod, but I won one at a grocery store last year. I've never figured out how to get it to work so now it's just collecting dust. Like a lot of you here, I don't own a cell phone (I keep my regular phone unplugged until I want to make a call). I've been to Starbucks once and that was several years ago (there are a couple nearby, too).

I have never:
Owned any game console (and my last portable was a Game Boy Color; now, that function is served by the laptop)
Owned an iPod or even a Walkman (again, the laptop)
Owned a personal DVD player (you guessed it, the laptop again)
Seen anything in theaters after Star Wars: Episode II was releasedlol

Do not currently:
Own tennis shoes (may need to get some cross-trainers for when I reengage on the "Battle of the Bulge", though...)

And have almost never:
Been seen at Starbucks
Eaten the "trendy" new food craze of the day

I'll edit more in later as I realize what all else the trendies who cross my path tell me I'm "missing out on"... *snort*lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo