Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Whippet...

carldelo

One Too Many
The modern Whippet is essentially a Chatham with a bound brim and wider ribbon - crown and brim are the same size and shape. Stetson Sovereign felt is quite nice - it softens up nicely with time and use. I had a bound brim put on my Chatham because I like the way the Whippet looks. I particularly like the Caribou Whippet with the gray ribbon instead of the usual black. Don't forget to check Bencraft - their price is lower than most.

jbucklin

Practically Family
The modern Whippet is essentially a Chatham with a bound brim and wider ribbon - crown and brim are the same size and shape. Stetson Sovereign felt is quite nice - it softens up nicely with time and use. I had a bound brim put on my Chatham because I like the way the Whippet looks. I particularly like the Caribou Whippet with the gray ribbon instead of the usual black. Don't forget to check Bencraft - their price is lower than most.

Works for me! I have a Chatham as well and love it. I have no problem at all with modern Stetsons in general. I think the low and tapered crown that everyone hates so much here at the FL looks good on me. :)

carldelo

One Too Many
Works for me! I have a Chatham as well and love it. I have no problem at all with modern Stetsons in general. I think the low and tapered crown that everyone hates so much here at the FL looks good on me. :)

Me too, I have 2 Ashlands, a Chatham and a Hampton, all Stetson 'Profile 10'. They look better on me than any vintage or high-priced Borso I've ever tried....

Jedwbpm

One Too Many

I have a Black Chatham and I love it. It is going in to be reblocked next month. The brim has gotten a little wavy and yes it has softened up nicely.

Jeff

carldelo

One Too Many
I have a Black Chatham and I love it. It is going in to be reblocked next month. The brim has gotten a little wavy and yes it has softened up nicely.

Jeff

Jeff - the new brim binding on my Chatham has resolved my brim rippling problems - I recommend it as a style upgrade as well - cheers, Carl

jbucklin

Practically Family
Jeff - the new brim binding on my Chatham has resolved my brim rippling problems - I recommend it as a style upgrade as well - cheers, Carl

I have a Temple with a wavy brim. I may have to have it bound. Where do you send yours? Or do you use a local hatter?

carldelo

One Too Many
I have a Temple with a wavy brim. I may have to have it bound. Where do you send yours? Or do you use a local hatter?

I took mine to Worth & Worth on 57th Street in Manhattan, which is my local hatter. The brim binding was $25 and looks hand-done, which it was. Not a bad thing, in my opinion, but doesn't look as uniform as the factory binding on my Hampton. The hat is a sage Chatham that I consider a weekend/country hat, so the hand-done look is appropriate. The brim binding has apparently resolved the brim rippling problems I had. I had a matching ribbon added for $20. The result is very nice, and I will post pictures sometime over the holiday. I thought the work was fine, but if you're going to ship a hat, there are other options, some of which no doubt do more finished-looking work, e.g. Optimo in Chicago or Catalena in Texas. I'll post a link to pictures when I get it together.
Carl

One trick I have used to tame a wavy brim is using a steam iron. Get a thin cotton cloth, like a handkerchief to go between the iron & the brim. The steam seems to activate the shellac & the pressing will flatten out the waves.
I had Major Moore bind the edge of my Pinnacle. Like the results a lot!

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
So today I went to Delmonico's in New Haven CT to pick out a hat for my Mother-in-law to give to me for Christmas. I was between a Stetson Open Road or a Whippet. Well I got the Open Road because I have bought two brown fedoras in the last 30 days and I really did not need a new one.

I liked the Whippet very much. The felt well felt nice, firm but not stiff. the crown was nicely shaped. and all in all I like the hat. I am between a 7 3/8 to 7 5/8 depending on the hat. I tried all 3 sizes. the 7 3/8 was to small the 7 5/8 felt a little big I like a tight fit. Not a line on my head tight but not blowing off in the wind tight. The 7 1/2 felt just like the 7 5/8 the clerk did not seem to believe me that it might be an over sized 7 1/2. I did not push it since I had pretty much had choosen the Open Road and was at this point test driving the the Whippet for this thread. If they had other colors other then Tawny it would have been a tougher choice.

When I told them that vintage Whippets were going for $300.00 + on Ebay they almost fainted. So for the price I would have no problem buying a Modern Stetson Whippet.

Jeff

T Rick

Practically Family
Thanks for the info Jeff, and congrats on the new Open Road (saw your post in the Open Road Guild). I will probably get one of these, but it will be a little while longer. I've gone on a small binge on eBay and have a few hats incoming (including another Open Road :)), so it will happen a bit later.

With the color they had, was the band a bit darker, or was it a monotone/match for the felt? I've seen some pics and read that they are now matching them, and I'd prefer to get one that has some contrast.

bluelight

New in Town
I have a whippet with the logo on the sweatband instead of the liner. Do you know what the significance of that is?

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Anyone that has one of these newer Whippets care to share how they are holding up and if you think they are worth the purchase?
I was thinking about buying one so I don't have to wear my vintage as much.
Thanks!

fmw

One Too Many
I have two of them. I can't say about holding up because I've only had them for about 1/2 year. I prefer them to any "vintage" hat I've ever had.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Worth the price to me! Maybe you.

Is the modern Whippet worth the price? For me yes. I get tons of wear out of the versatile color (see photo below). The hat is well made. The leather band is quality, liner well fited, and ribbon work just fine. The felt is just what you would expect at this price point. I get lotsof positive comments when I am out and about from non-wearing and hat wearing folks alike. I had a pro musician comment that my vintage whippet was exceptional. I spent some time showing him that my newby was different from his oldster. We agreed that the newer was a good hat. I saw him a couple weeks ago and he purchased a newer for his "warmer" performances. He wishes to save his vintage from the ravishes of his occupation. Worth it for him - yes. For you - you need to sort that out.

Here is a newer Whippet pic from late winter here in MN;
Photo%20on%202011-04-19%20at%2013.02.jpg

Is it durable; I can not say. I am a new hat wearer. This was of my first hats. It is less than 6 moths old. I treat all hats with great respect, as I do with all of my articles of attire, so I do expect it to last a long time. To date it is living to these expectations.

Now on the felt; The vintage ones that I have are WAY different. They have a heavier, supple feel to the fingertips. The felt has a texture that draws your hand to them in answer to the desire to feel the nap. I can steam all hats (new/old) and they take the shape the same. The oldsters, just hold the shape longer. They just look richer.

I wear the new one frequently, when the color works well. I have ordered another newer one in a color that I have found that I desire. The oldsters get worn when the colors work. If I could share Mr. Peabody and Sherman's "way back machine" I would certainly buy one of ALL Whippet colors in the early 50's and never need another hat.

220px-Waybackmachine3.png

It is certainly a mad hatter's wish! ................Oh Mr. Peabody!

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks sir! I did meet MN 's regional Stetson sales rep at our local western wear store as I was picking up a new saddle for my wife's new horse and he commented on my Stetson Whippet (the same as in the pic). I asked him to relay to corp. Stetson that they would find a short balding willing buyer for all of the couple dozen other historical colors when they choose to re-issue them. That would be special! Almost as special as wishing for a vintage Stratoliner re-issue ----hey it is totally possible! !! I followed up with a phone call to Stetson corporate management and relayed the same comment. They took my call politely and acknowledged that my voice mattered.

New Whippets are quality hats too, Eric -

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Addition to my earlier post..................

.....Modern Whippet pic in earlier post.

Below is an "oldy" Whippet in my closest color match to my newer Whippet (pic taken nearly same time as the earlier).

Whippetbrown.jpg

Even with the poor photo, the felt difference is apparent. Both quality, just a difference. I am very stoked, tomorrow it will be 60's in the morning and I will have to take my Whippet out when I walk our dogs.

Apologies for not including the pic in my original post, Eric -

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass