Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moleskine Notebooks; Have One?

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
I usually buy the solid black pocket sized sketchbook (for drawing and tempera colors). I recently completed one that took a little longer than usual (due to school and personal drawings taking the back burner).

These are the very last drawings:

Copied from photographs, the detail of Mary from Michelangelo's famous Pieta (which I'm dying to see in person), and a detail from "Night", which is part of Medici's tomb (linked because of nudity, to err on the side of caution. I'm not sure what the rules are for nude art).

I usually leave little notes for myself when I draw from observation or photos and they turn out innacurate. I don't pencil first. Its good exercise for me to go straight to ink.

DSCN1773.jpg

These are portraits of my parents when they were young, copied from small black and white photographs (which I carry in the pocket).

I cannot stress the value of the pocket enough. It is wonderful to be able to carry a little reference with you wherever you go and to be able to pull it out when you are waiting or on the train or have a bit of free time somewhere.

Also, for carrying little drawings on different scraps of paper:
DSCN1774.jpg

Unfortunately, when I went to pick up a new book last week, the store was all out of regular moleskine sketchbooks. Not wanting to wait, I picked up one of these:

DSCN1766.jpg

Just like the black ones, except the cover is some sort of textured fabric. Red is my favorite color, so this was my first choice. Same paper as all the other sketchbooks, the only difference is that it does not have the ribbon/bookmark, which is disappointing.

I also am not certain on what the significance of this is:
DSCN1768.jpg

I kind of wish it was left blank.

I only have one drawing in it so far:
DSCN1770.jpg

I watch a lot of movies, and I love to press pause and illustrate certain stills that appeal to me. This is why I watch a lot of movies alone :D
This one is a capture from Ingmar Bergman's Scenes from a Marriage, which is incredible.

DSCN1772.jpg

Lastly, this is my school Cahier. I use post-it tabs to mark certain things: assignments and drawn-in calendars, schedules and maps (I love maps). I love the freedom these allow, and I carry toothpicks in the pockets for sketching purposes. The pages in the last half of the book are detachable. It is also pocket sized.

I love this thread. I'd love to see more of what everyone else does in their moleskines as well, if they are willing to share :)

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
Also, a company has started selling something called Innskines. They also have an elastic to hold the pen. Nice idea if you want to protect the cover (I carry mine in my daily suitcase - er, handbag, and they do take quite a bit of abuse since they have to share with other books and things).

It also has an elastic for holding a pen.

I am thinking of making my own... the possibilities are endless. Any material, lining, even a little front pocket for loose change or something, or for carrying multiple books, even incorporating buttons or zippers. Compartments are the best.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
Thank you, Mr. Jones. You are too kind. :)

Moleskinerie
is a great site that showcases a lot of great art, as well as updates on the moleskine world.

And for those who also like the color red, a weekly planner has been released as well (and it has the bookmark, also in red!).

The Moleskine City book looks appealing as well, I believe they were mentioned in this thread somewhere? Not sure but I love the maps.

I have a book for musical notation (each page has staffs printed on it) wrapped in brown paper and sitting on a shelf. Perhaps it is time to practice and put it to use again.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ruby, I second Hem's compliments on your drawings, they are really good!
You certainly are putting your moleskine to great use.

And thanks for the links to the red weekly planner. I'm glad to see that they are starting to use a few other colors, although they are hard to find.

I think this was mentioned before, probably by Hem, but I have the one with the tabs. It really comes in handy. Right now I'm using mine to create a little restaurant guide of Boston. I have all these different dining guides of the city, they are so big and it's hard to remember all the ones I want to try. So I'm going through each one, reading revues, and when I come across one that I think I might enjoy trying out, I wright it down in my tabbed moleskine. Each tab has a different food type ie: Italian, Amercian, Greek, etc... So, it's really helping me organize the different places that I would like to someday try. Although, now that I think about it, I'm doing all this work and I find myself dining at the same few restaurants that I always go to!! I don't think I've actually tried one new place that I've written down in my book!! Oh well, maybe I'll start branching out once I've completed it.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
Thank you, Daisy :)

What a great idea for the tabbed notebook, it is like making your own personal Zagat Guide! I think I will have to pick one of those up and give it a go as well. I miss going to restaurants, I don't think I've been at one since...the summer of 2005! I guess I'd better start researching lol

TarHeel1911

New in Town
I discovered Moleskines about 18 months ago, and it seems like I can't stop buying them!

Here's my assortment - other than the daily diary, I prefer the reporter style. I write left-handed, and it seems the most comfortable.

I've got a small pocket size for important phone numbers, and other "essential" information - a paper and pen PDA of sorts. This is usually in my briefcase, but also fits perfectly in the front pocket of my A-2, a shirt pocket, or some trouser pockets.

A lined 5x8 reporter style for my "book of lists" - books to read, places to go, etc.

A grid page 5x8 reporter style for reloading data, firearms records, and other gun-related stuff. Much better than the odd assortment of Post-Its and scraps of paper on the work bench and in the gun cabinet.

The 5x8 size daily diary, for appointments and logging my time at work.

The City Books look very cool-have to check them out.

Old Mariner

One of the Regulars
I have one that I write down all my favorite custom tea blends I make, along with my tincture blends herbs, supplements, and now getting into doing juice-water combinations. (For example, juiced Oranges, Vanilla extract, and water.) I have a lot of ebooks on infused water recipes, but rather than infuse certain fruits, I juice them, then add the herbs or spices, along with some water. 20201008_171240.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy