Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moleskine Notebooks; Have One?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
No, I dont-eh believ-eh this-eh.

I see that this might be how Italians pronounce the word - not because of a clich?© extra eh after most consonants, but because the writing suggests it to an Italian. But still, I think it's [mol'ski:n], not [mo¬?le'ski¬?ne], let alone ['mowlεj,skhijnεj].

But the whole thing is mostly made-up anyway, isn't it? [huh] Still nice thingies.
Ah yes, but remember there is no "K" in the Italian alphabet.
I have heard it pronounced as many of us pronounce it: [mol'ski:n] "Mole-skin," as if it were made from the hides of those tiny burrowing creatures. ;)

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Ah yes, but remember there is no "K" in the Italian alphabet.

Except for certain proper names and foreign terms (called 'kappa').

Hemingway Jones said:
I have heard it pronounced as many of us pronounce it: [mol'ski:n] "Mole-skin," as if it were made from the hides of those tiny burrowing creatures. ;)

Exactly! That's where the word comes from, isn't it, consciously rendered in a French-style accent, so ['məwl,skın] -> [mol'ski:n]. (Or mOle¬?skin -> mawl¬?skEEn - sorry, transcriptions are so awkward.)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
And allow me to be a big enough man to admit that the first time I held one of these, I had this image in my mind of those tiny squinty-eyed rodents being skinned for bookbinding. Though that was a creative iimage; I actually thought it was a type of leather.

Who knew that some vellums were made from cats. [huh]

It is some type of edible polyester!

Hemingway Jones said:
I had this image in my mind of those tiny squinty-eyed rodents being skinned for bookbinding. Though that was a creative iimage; I actually thought it was a type of leather.
++++++++++++
Today I think it is some type of Synthetic Moleskin.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Serial Hero said:
What about moleskin pants? They're not made from mole skin either.

http://jpeterman.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_1127_A_c_E_11_A_seq_E_20

I'm so confused [huh]

Moleskin trousers are made from a soft, dense, slightly nappy cotton material that is quite warm and very comfortable. I just picked up a pair from Brooks Brothers, and, while I'm not terribly pleased with the cut, the fabric certainly is comfortable. I think the fabric is so named because its "shaved," slightly fuzzy texture resembles that of the skin of the brown burrowing creature.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Canadave said:
I'd like a moleskine that has detachable pages...anyone use one of those?

David

Apparently, the last 24 pages in all the reporter moleskines are detachable. I checked mine and saw that they are perforated at the top.

Also, Hemingway mentioned this thread in another one, and I had to search to find it, so I thought I'd bump it.

-Jake

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just got my new one for 07

I'm all set for the new year now with my page a day Moleskin. I just love them and fit well into my overcoat pocket.

Barry

Practically Family
At the office I use the reporter style notebook. It is a big help. I also use it as a food journal to log my meals.

Barry

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I don't know whether I have posted this...

...But I just about filled up my tabbed Moleskine in Italy.

It has tabs for "Facilities," "Sights," "People," "Food," and "Bed." I didn't really follow these, but divided it up by city: Rome and Venice. It probably would have been better had they left the tabs blank.

Still, it was an excellent travel journal. It fit right into my pocket; I could write with it standing up; and the divisions were helpful to keep my notes organized.

On a negative note, it's tough to write with a fountain in these, though I did; the finish of the paper makes the ink pool. A fine point would be preferred.

Below are the two Moleskines I used for my trip. The one with the rough sketch of "Augustus of Prima Porta" was the one in which I did all of my research in advance of the trip and the lined one was where I transcribed what I needed to know. It was also where I took notes on everything I ate, saw, did, and felt. It is a wonderful record of my journey.

Feraud

Bartender
You did a nice job of filling those moleskines in Italy Hemingway! I am always replacing one notebook with another style before they get filled. It seems my being left handed makes writing in most jounals uncomfortable. There is always the binding getting in the way! I received a few of the reporter's style book and have been doodling on them. They seem to work for now.

Btw, what kind of pen is that in the picture above? It is very nice.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
You did a nice job of filling those moleskines in Italy Hemingway! I am always replacing one notebook with another style before they get filled. It seems my being left handed makes writing in most jounals uncomfortable. There is always the binding getting in the way! I received a few of the reporter's style book and have been doodling on them. They seem to work for now.

Btw, what kind of pen is that in the picture above? It is very nice.
Thank you, my friend! I love having such a moment by moment record of my trip.

Oh, and the pen is a Cartier Diablo in red Chinese Lacquer. It writes amazingly, but it is a bit heavy. Thanks for the kind words. :)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
That is a very nice pen. I think it is time to start dropping subtle hints around the house about a potential birthday present..;)
Thanks again, and you know we have a HUGE thread about pens around here that could help guide you to one you might like. Also, any help I could offer, you know you could count on.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Restoration Hardware sells one with divider pockets. I stick my coupons in there. They are fantastic to carry around and slip easily into a pocket or a purse.

ENfield3-8303

Familiar Face
Let's hear it for Moleskine

I've been using them to keep notes and outlines for my stories for some time now, they're a bit more expensive than common sprial bound notebooks but much classier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy