Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moleskine Notebooks; Have One?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I thought of this while reading the "What's in your wallet... pockets" thread:

I carry a small lined Moleskine Notebook for notes for my poems, for better or worse. A dear friend of mine gave this to me.

In my bag for work, I carry a large lined Moleskine to use as a ledger (check) book. I like the little pocket in back for carrying receipts.

In preparing for my trip to Italy in November, I am writing a personal guidebook complete with maps, addresses, and sketches in a pocket-sized blank Moleskine that I can easily carry with me.

I have a few extras lying around for future uses.

So, I know a lot of you carry Moleskines; which ones are you using and what are you using them for?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My best friend gave me a Moleskin a couple years ago when I was heading into the hospital for some major surgery, to keep a journal of the experience and the thoughts that went with it. When I opened it to start writing, I found that between many of the pages, she'd inserted photos of things we'd done together, places we'd been, and samples of her artwork, all of which helped me get thru a very difficult time.

I keep that notebook in my safety deposit box now. It's one of my most precious posessions.

magneto

Practically Family
I have the small one (the size of an index card) for lists/notes/reminders, easier than firing up the PDA for writing notes...I like the "pocket" in the cover too! When I'm using a small purse I can just put ID, cash, etc in the notebook pocket and not have to carry a wallet.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your ideas for using these notebooks are great.

It's a very good idea to fill the pocket with your ID and such when carrying a small purse.

I have a larger journal that I carry with me for "notes while I'm out", but I think I'm gonna have to give in and buy a few of these smaller ones. They seem much more convenient.

Lizzie, I too keep a journal every time I go into the hospital. Unfortunately a lot of what I write is illegible or makes no sense, for I'm usually on some sort of mind altering drug while I'm there. What your friend did for you is really sweet. I have a bigger journal with a pocket in it, where I keep pictures of friends and family to look at during my stays at the hospital, what Hemingway and I now call "the spa", anything to make the stay there a little nicer.
A smaller notebook would be a great purchase. Moleskin would make it even nicer.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Have a couple! Carry them in my jacket where ever I travel. I'll never know when I need to jot down a though somewhere. One is like a small booklet, the other is like an old detectives notebook that flip up.

Cheers!

Dan

I like this pad because it has the loop for the pen so you can't lose it. Very thin and fits right in the breast pocket. Who needs a PDA?

mnp_bl_mid.jpg

mnp_bl_rgt.jpg

Regards,

Senator Jack

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The larger blank page one I use for keeping "permanent" thoughts. If I get an idea for a short story, or a character name, or a scene, I jot it there.

The small ruled one is for everyday note-taking and general jotting. The pockets are a perfect touch. Nice paper too.

And let me be a wicked, wicked sot and point out that moleskin is a fabric, and we write in Moleskines....;)

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
I am very much addicted to Moleskines. I've been using the daily diary for a few years as well as the addrees book. I carry a notebook as well as the six pocket book with me in my travels.

Phil

A-List Customer
I have multiple Moleskines that I use. I have about 4 of the small,blank notebooks that I kept a journal in when traveling and some quick maps. I keep a cahier in my glove box if there's a song I like on the radio or, God forbid, I should get into an accident. My favorite though is the Moleskine that has the musical staff. I have about 7 of those that are filled with songs I've written, certain licks that I particularly like, and just to jot down some notes. I love moleskine, I only wish that the book stores carried all of them and not just half or a quarter of the selection of Moleskines. Oh, and to answer the question of what they're made of, it's oilcloth-covered cardboard.

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
I don´t particularly like Moleskines, I´m not fond of the paper and they´re a bit too small (and thin) for my taste. But I´m a sucker for little black notebooks nonetheless. Currently I use one that I found in a shop similar to a dollar store last year. It has turned out so nice that I went back and bought four more. Too bad they´re not brown, because else they´d nail that Grail Diary look.:)

my.php

I´m using my notebook to write in fragments of poetry and songs that come to me when I´m out, or to do the occasional drawing. Diary writing and finished poetry/song lyrics go somewhere else, so there´s nothing too personal stored in there should I ever happen to lose it.
Fastened with an additional elastic there´s my "to do" list and a calendar.

Regards, A.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I have three moleskins; the small notebook for jotting down notes, ideas, songs and movies I like; the large sketchbook for doing sketches; the small sketchbook for when I don‚Äôt want to carry (or have room for) the large one. In addition to these I also have a larger 8 ¬? x 11 sketchbook (the kind that looks like a textbook) that I got from Barnes & Noble.

I use the very cheap moleskines with the brown paper cover. In my business it is essential to always have a notebook handy for when ideas/thoughts/possible experiments come to mind. Otherwise they are forgotten before you get the chance to do anything about them. The small moleskines fit nicely in the inner pocket of a suit jacket.

bk

FedoraGent

One Too Many
My Moleskin

My moleskin, is the small one again the size of a 3x5 card and it has a pocket. I use the pocket for business cards and some spare cash for Just in Case mullah. I use the front side for personal notes and the back side for work stuff.

It is an integral part of me because I always have it with me or in my car as I always carry a pen. You never know when something will require you to write something down on the fly. It's faster than my Blackberry or my Tablet PC.

Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy