Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moleskine Notebooks; Have One?

Front page

Hemingway Jones said:
I always put my name, cell phone number, and address in the front of mine, but, alas, not a reward.

I tape my business card to the first page and put $25.00 on the reward line. Lost one late last year that was set up like this. I received it in the mail with a small unsigned note about two weeks later (after I had given up all hope) asking me to donate the $25 to a disabled veterans oragnization - which I promptly did.

PR

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, I'm hearing such great things about these moleskins. I have a collection of paperblanks and Peter Pauper Press journals. They come in all sizes, they have a nifty magnetic closure, a pocket in the back and the binding looks like the binding of a book so they look neat all lined up on the bookshelf. But, it looks like moleskin has a lot more versatility in the line with the different sizes and other options such as the different ways they open and the differnt types of lines. I'm just gonna have to get a few different ones. I like how Hem has various uses for his. Right now he has one that he uses to write down different places and things to see for our trip to Italy. It will be much easier to bring one small moleskin than a different guide book for every place we go.
It's nice to see how other people are using thiers. I like that these, as well as the collections of the ones I have, have pockets. When I travel, I like to keep things like ticket stubs for shows and transportation as well as receipts for silly things I buy. I usually take these items and glue stick them into pages. With the pocket, I can keep all of these things in the proper place until I get home and can glue them. I'm sure not to lose them, which can sometimes happen when they are just thrown in a bag for the remainder of the trip.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Newest Moleskine

So, in less than two weeks I am heading off for a trip and I have bought a Moleskine with tabs to use as a personal guidebook. It is already divided into sections by the people who make these: Facilities, Sights, People, Food, and Bed.

In the Bed section, I have the names and locations of our hotels, and information on our train reservations, then, since there was quite a bit of room in that section, I used it to list shops where there are things I would be interested in that are unique to the area.

In the Food section, are the lists of my favorite cafes and restaurants, plus some new ones I discovered in guidebooks. In the People section, is my "to-do" lists, my packing lists, and room for notes.

The Sights section, is full of all of those things I want to see and need to see. I have filled up this entire tab. I have also copied some historic facts and quotes of the places I will be visiting, so that I might understand a place a bit better through someone else's eyes; be it Byron or Robert Browning. The Facilities section is full of the same sort of thing. I have lists of churches and their treasures, museums, neighborhoods, architecture, and Palazzos. I also have itineraries, descriptions of geography, and the hours of the things I wish to see.

I am looking forward to using this book, to having it in my breast pocket for easy and quick reference. I also intend to take notes in it, so that I will have this little tome to reflect upon this trip, and to supplement my journal.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
I bought a small lined one to jot things down on a trip to AZ at the beginning of the year, and I never realized until reading this thread that there was a little pocket in the back. SWEET!!!:)

I work for a boss who is rather forgetfull and relies on me to be his memory, and as I can be abscent minded myself at times, I've found having it around to jot down reminders is a great help.

I have a moleskine for jotting notes in my briefcase.
I love to give them as gifts with a fine writing instrument.

The only drawback is with a dark fountain pen ink there is read-thru so I can only write on one side of a page.

Lord Jagged

New in Town
I have a rather nice leather covered pocket notebook which I bought solely on the feel of the leather. I didn't even think if it would be used but I find i use it daily. When it was nearly full I was frantic to find another one and went back to the shop and the nice lady told me that you can simply insert a new book into the cover.

Moleskines are really nice writing experiences I think.

AlanC

I have used my Moleskine primarily as a journal for overseas travel. For everyday jotting I prefer the No 11 Rhodia pad.

p1010231ql6.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A fine nib definitely compliments a moleskin more than say a medium. If you have a light touch, in eithercase, there shouldn't be bleed through. A fine nib, of course, makes it a bit easier to write in the smaller Moleskines.

Canadave

One Too Many
scotrace said:
...And let me be a wicked, wicked sot and point out that moleskin is a fabric, and we write in Moleskines....;)

Wow, I never noticed that second "e" before! How is it pronounced, then? Rhymes with "pin" or "pine"?

I'm all for jotting down notes, music, sketches, ideas...using a fountain pen etc., but don't diss the PDA. I use one exclusively for appointments, memos, reminders etc. If I lose it, everything has been synched to my computer. If I have to find a year old note, I've got it in 5 seconds.

I'd like a moleskine that has detachable pages...anyone use one of those?

Kodiak said:
...I plan to take it with me to Saskatchewan end of this month.

What takes you there?

Lastly, what use would the Japanese Accordian Pages serve? See here - http://www.moleskines.com/klmb718.html

David

Daisy Buchanan

Hemingway Jones said:
A fine nib definitely compliments a moleskin more than say a medium. If you have a light touch, in eithercase, there shouldn't be bleed through. A fine nib, of course, makes it a bit easier to write in the smaller Moleskines.
I agree, I can only write in my molskine notebook with my fine nib fountain pen. My Waterman Charleston is the best for this type of book/journal. Anything more than fine does tend to bleed.

I put my name, address and e-mail on the first page. But, no $$$$ signs!

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
A friend of mine introduced me to Moleskins a few years ago, when they went back into production.

They really are about as close to perfect for what they are intended for. Their size is perfect and there is something very charming about them.

I use the regular lined notebook and the reporter style pad. I love how well they stand up to abuse.

Usually I'll grab one or two of them, when I go on a trip and keep a detailed diary or log. No matter how exciting your trip was, I am always amazed at how much one forgets, once you return home.

I also use a waterproof pen, just in case disaster strikes.;)

A few years ago I took along a PDA on a trip, but it made me feel like I wasn't on vacation. :p Besides, with the fold up keyboard it was bulkier than the Moleskin, more delicate, battery dependent and in general fidgety.

So, nowadays I take the Moleskin for my writing and notes and a tiny PDA phone, the size of a deck of cards, so I can get on the internets for my email etc. via a WIFI/Bluetooth hotspot or the phone-service.

For daily use I scribble in one of those simple little notebooks, or spiral-bound reporter pads, with the fake marble pattern on the cover.
They've been around since the beginning of time and you can get them at a 5 and 10 store for less than a buck. My dad has boxes of them, that date back decades...

RC

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Daisy Buchanan said:
I agree, I can only write in my molskine notebook with my fine nib fountain pen. My Waterman Charleston is the best for this type of book/journal. Anything more than fine does tend to bleed.

I put my name, address and e-mail on the first page. But, no $$$$ signs!

Maybe I should keep the $$ signs to TWO digits...

"Send the check or the notebook gets it, four-eyes!"
:p

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Canadave said:
Wow, I never noticed that second "e" before! How is it pronounced, then? Rhymes with "pin" or "pine"?

I thought it's written like that to indicate a French accent (not kidding!), so mole-skeen or mol-skeen.

up196

A-List Customer
Like in . . .

Canadave said:
Looks like there were more options than "rhymes with pin or rhymes with pine?".David
They say that Lena is the Queen o' Palesteena (she wrote a story in her Moleskine)

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Canadave said:
Mo-leh-skeen-eh

No, I dont-eh believ-eh this-eh.

I see that this might be how Italians pronounce the word - not because of a clich?© extra eh after most consonants, but because the writing suggests it to an Italian. But still, I think it's [mol'ski:n], not [mo¬?le'ski¬?ne], let alone ['mowlεj,skhijnεj].

But the whole thing is mostly made-up anyway, isn't it? [huh] Still nice thingies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran