Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MONARCH? MOTORCYCLE JACKET HORSEHIDE UNLABELED-42/44

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I'm getting deep into the closet to bring this jacket out for sale. I've owned this jacket for several years and it always brings positive comments when it is shown. It is one of the finest hides I own.

The wool lining indicates to me late 40s production. All the motorcycle jacket makers were moving to the new Nylon lining in the early 1950s. There is not makers/sellers label in the jacket, only this neck label proudly proclaiming " Genuine Top Grain Horsehide". You don't see that often.

DSC04785.jpg

I sent the pictures to Dave Sheely who is a Monarch expert. I sent him many pictures of this jacket and another unlabeled police jacket with measurement. Dave was trying to get the underarm "football" correct for a reproduction jacket. This technique along with the French Seams indicated to him it was made my Monarch of Milwaukee.

I have one other guess as to the maker. Roughwear Clothing Company of Pennsylvania. The lining and label along with the robust leather remind me of a Roughwear jacket I owned. I suspect that Roughwear made jackets without their company label and logo. That was a practice used by makers to get their products in stores.

Regardless of the maker this is a very high quality Horsehide jacket in excellent condition. The main zipper has been changed and there is a small spot in the lining hem that is worn. That is about it for issues.

DSC04791.jpg

DSC04795.jpg

I own many Horsehide jackets and this leather is a good as any Horsehide produced today or yesterday. For fit is a bit longer than many MC jackets of this era. It does have the original size 42 tag.

DSC09440.jpg

DSC04769.jpg

DSC09442.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
This is a bittersweet Sale. I just love this pic. What a Fit, What a jacket! This jacket just has so much going for it. This Combination of good doesn't come around that often. I know the new owner will wear it well. We have exchanged jackets.

Each jacket sale is now breaking new ground, deeper into the Closet with each dive.

Stay Tuned

Contemplating my Next Sale!

mah05165-mp4_20190412_161115-495-jpg.350173

lina

Practically Family
...The lining and label along with the robust leather remind me of a Roughwear jacket I owned...

Uh oh. The past tense here in reference to the Roughwear has me a little worried that you've sold my ultimate jacket and I somehow missed it. Say it isn't so...:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ