Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monocles

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
As a vintage enthusist who's also quite nearsighted, I had an idea recently, to get a single contact lens and to wear a monocle. It wouldn't be for every day wear, but wearing a monocle would be intense. Would any of you happen to know where one could go about getting a real funtional monocle made?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Very expensive. You'll need a gold rim. New ones can be had from England, but be prepared to spend more than $120 ... and that doesn't include the prescription lense. Vintage ones cost almost as much. They almost never show up on eBay, in any case.

Back in the late '50s, my dad went to Columbia University with a guy who was nearsighted in one eye. The eye doc prescribed a monocle. That poor student got harassed and laughed at for an entire year before he chucked the monocle and got normal-looking glasses (with an acceptable "Buddy Holly" frame, presumably).

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Now that,....

is radical! That's what I call making a statement! Marching to a differant drummer,......:drum: I have never in my entire life seen anyone wear a monocle. Except maybe for Colonel Klink on Hogan's Heroes. I hope you can single-handedly start a new fashion craze! :cheers1:

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I am afraid that the Nazi officer stereotype has pretty much killed off monocle use. Of course, even prior to the war the monocle was seen as an exclusive affectation of the rich, same as the top hat (IE Mr. Peanut) so it has really a long history of bad associations in America.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
is radical! That's what I call making a statement! Marching to a differant drummer,......:drum: I have never in my entire life seen anyone wear a monocle. Except maybe for Colonel Klink on Hogan's Heroes. I hope you can single-handedly start a new fashion craze! :cheers1:

HOGAN!!!!!!!!!!! I think they are good for exploring and other work that you do need a magdifing lens, but as glasses I think very impracticle (wow, I can't spell).

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Go for it

There was a great archaeolgist in the pulps that wore a monocle.
With the right clothes the monocle would make a fine accessory.
However, just like a zoot suit, you need to wear it with conviction. Don't give people the feeling that it is awkward or that you feel silly.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

geo

I remember a picture of Austen Chamberlain, British politician of the thirties, wearing the total look: top hat, monocle, velvet collared chesterfield, rolled umbrella. He may have had a wing collar and spats too, I don't remember.

Hey, on a campus you're going to get laughed at anyway for not wearing the uniform (PJs and flip flops) so go ahead and wear the monocle. But i think the only way to do it is to wear it every day. Otherwise you're just putting on a costume.

Go with the buddy holly frames! I did (well, something similar) and have never looked back. I almost never wear my contacts now.

bk

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i think the monocle is hampered by too many ill associations....

the nazi officer
the upper class twit
the drunk old brandy-drinking uncle

at best you might be able to do an edwardian fop look.
at best.

Naama

Practically Family
herringbonekid said:
i think the monocle is hampered by too many ill associations....

the nazi officer
the upper class twit
the drunk old brandy-drinking uncle

at best you might be able to do an edwardian fop look.
at best.

nazi officer???? Which nazi officer was wearing a monocle? Can't think of anyone......

I'd say go for it, monocles are great and quite excentric ;) I

Naama

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
GateXC said:
You can get one for only 15 pounds sterling at:

http://www.thechap.net/monocles2.html

Please let me explain. For a monocle to fit you properly (as opposed to pinching your skin and/or falling off every 20 seconds, or whenever you bend forward), it would have to be custom made for you. In other words, your eye socket would have to be measured and the frame and lense would be shaped accordingly. This is an expensive process.

Years ago, I purchased an antique monocle at the Port de Clingancourt "marche aux puces" (flea market) in Paris. In addition to the gold rimmed type, there were HORN-RIMMED monocles. (Think of Don Knotts in "The Incredible Mr. Limpet." Remove one half of his glasses. Voila.) In any case, that monocle just didn't want to stay on my face. And yes, it looked inexcusably pretentious. I ended up loaning it to a so-called actress playing a 1920s Parisian lesbian. Of course, she never returned the thing. No big loss!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21