Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monster Bash Videos ... show us how you bash!!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
So I decided to throw a cattleman in one of my 50s ORs... this is the crease I have the least experience with .
So I'm seeking advice from the resident cattleman guys.

I'm looking at you @Rogera @rclark @hatophile @alanfgag @g.durand etc

Let me know what I can do to make this look ok...

2f20d82aee2770c2ae6a96cccff6b457.jpg

cbe6d152c4e9a7e8f5c2a1ae45a0ebe1.jpg

fcb0e754ce8e3f0359d9566f720d1065.jpg

4cdc892ecc35736d19b3b1b2b85a81ce.jpg

c7f9df377d64a6f19152769f210a27a9.jpg

de2a4364994b17b45e8d077634bfcaef.jpg

94d1606425a1cfa32bd198e8f2ffaf3c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone while orbiting the earth in a sea foam green 1957 Cadillac

Last edited:

J. Adams

New in Town
I second mm25's advice.

Here's the best cattleman crease tutorial I know of:

If it doesn't turn out the way you want dry, I would try a little steam. Just a touch should do. It'll get you those smooth lines that make a cattleman crease look like it was born that way.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
So I decided to throw a cattleman in one of my 50s ORs... this is the crease I have the least experience with .
So I'm seeking advice from the resident cattleman guys.

I'm looking at you @Rogera @rclark @hatophile @alanfgag etc

Let me know what I can do to make this look ok...

2f20d82aee2770c2ae6a96cccff6b457.jpg

cbe6d152c4e9a7e8f5c2a1ae45a0ebe1.jpg

fcb0e754ce8e3f0359d9566f720d1065.jpg

4cdc892ecc35736d19b3b1b2b85a81ce.jpg

c7f9df377d64a6f19152769f210a27a9.jpg

de2a4364994b17b45e8d077634bfcaef.jpg

94d1606425a1cfa32bd198e8f2ffaf3c.jpg

I like it! I think it is truly personal preference. I like to have some variations so as not to look too much like a new factory OR. I do think the cattleman has the tendency to appear to have a "cone" shape at the front and rear. To avoid that look, I like to either have the pinches not as long front to rear, and sometimes like the pinches to be shallow and more towards the front. For example, I personally like g.durand's take on the cattleman:

Agreed, Benz. I haven't been able to get any of my CDs to look good with a full cattleman's crease. The only way to do it may be Atticus Finch's Optimo option.

I've been able to take away some of the cone-like look from the front and still get the full "owns-the-ranch" side profile by doing what I call a modified cattleman's, with a center dent and by moving the side pinches slightly forward.

Here is my Stetson 100 shaped that way.
IMG_7217_zpsjm1xtzzy.jpg
IMG_7215_zpsccsix51c.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Tighten the top crease and run the side bashes all the way to the ends of the hat. And keep the sides high.

I definitely don't like when the side creases run all the way to the ends makes it look wonky from the front to me
... will definitely tighten the center crease though

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I like it! I think it is truly personal preference. I like to have some variations so as not to look too much like a new factory OR. I do think the cattleman has the tendency to appear to have a "cone" shape at the front and rear. To avoid that look, I like to either have the pinches not as long front to rear, and sometimes like the pinches to be shallow and more towards the front. For example, I personally like g.durand's take on the cattleman:

I love that one !!!!!

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I love that one !!!!!

I thought of g.durand's 100 as soon as I saw your post. That being said, I'd wear the hat with the bash you put in it as-is. I do believe the cattleman crease to be quite polarizing and regional. IMHO, a hat in the cattleman crease is well accepted in the south and west (and Texas), but may look a bit out of place in other regions. Conversely, the same hat in a fedora crease is not as well accepted in this part of the world.

That's more info than you really were asking for, but my point is that g.durand's cattleman crease is a nice combination of the two.

Mm25

One Too Many
I thought of g.durand's 100 as soon as I saw your post. That being said, I'd wear the hat with the bash you put in it as-is. I do believe the cattleman crease to be quite polarizing and regional. IMHO, a hat in the cattleman crease is well accepted in the south and west (and Texas), but may look a bit out of place in other regions. Conversely, the same hat in a fedora crease is not as well accepted in this part of the world.

That's more info than you really were asking for, but my point is that g.durand's cattleman crease is a nice combination of the two.
I agree g.durands hat is awesome, but not what I would call a traditional cattlemans crease. A hybrid, like you mention, combining a bit of both styles is right.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
moon , I like yours . It really is all personal preference , everyone has the tweaks that they like . It makes them your unique individual style . But yours looks great ! You can tweak it here and there until you hit your spot , if that's not exactly how you want it . Some like a tight center , some wider , some like high side dents tight , all the way across , dished out , but others don't .

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I second mm25's advice.

Here's the best cattleman crease tutorial I know of:

If it doesn't turn out the way you want dry, I would try a little steam. Just a touch should do. It'll get you those smooth lines that make a cattleman crease look like it was born that way.

J. Adams , That's the Best Vid on How to , then you can do your own variation using the info , Great Vid !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo