Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moose River Hat

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone care to make comment on this Stetson from LL Bean?
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...ry=3556&cat4=6372&shop_method=pp&feat=3556-tn
Looks nice to me but I don't know about the quality of Stetson.

Before we get into a "Akubra lasts longer, Art makes better, Biltmore bla bla..." I already own all these. I usually have a new hat twice a year, one for winter one for summer. Then it gets retired to my wall, and used occasionally on a whim. So it needs to hold together for at lest six months.

What I am looking for here is a subjective review. Do I need to pamper this hat or will it take a beating? Will it loose its colour and shape in the rain? Is this a Sunday to church hat that should not see much action? or is it a week long camping expedition type?

Johnny

RBH

Bartender
I have looked at these myself. I dont think you will go wrong with this hat... for what you want one for.
I'm sure it isnt up to what Art can make and I know it isnt a vintage, but for an every day wearing and enjoying hat I'm also sure it would fit the bill.
Check out what I did with an old Resistol WOOL felt I had. It gave me the thin ribbon look I love but also had the unbound edge .

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13873

Good luck, and if you get the Moose River please let us know about it!!!

Damon Falzone

One of the Regulars
Johnny, I have a similar Stetson in "silverbelly" that I got from Orvis about 5 or 6 years ago. It, too, was dubbed an "angler". I have many hats that are superior to this one but I like the Stetson very much and wear it often. It's tough enough so I'll wear it in situations that I wouldn't wear a vintage. And, I like the way it looks too. I particularly like it in "silverbelly". I don't think you can go too wrong. Best of luck.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
I wore one for years back in the late 70's. This was my backpacking hat. It handled rain, snow and anything eles Mother Nature threw at it.
I would ass-u-me that the quality is the same. I paid $25 back then.

Big Man

I have worn the Moose River from L.L. Bean on and off since the mid 1970's, and have been nothing but pleased with that hat. During the 70's and into the early 80's, I usually replaced the hat about every other year, as I would absolutely wear one out during that time. This should not be read as anything negative concerning the hat's quality, it just really got used every day (and hard use, at that!).

I haven't had a new Moose River hat in about 10 years, only because I've changed my desire for another style of hat. Again, nothing wrong with the Moose River, just my taste in style has changed. I still have a Moose River hat that's in good condition and is very serviceable (it's the one in my avatar), and I do wear it occasionally.

So, based on my personal experience, but with the caveat of not having had a "new" Moose River hat in a number of years, I would give a very favorable recommendation.

Hope this helps.

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Johnny,

I really like the looks of the silver belly option (although with my fair skin I'd need a bigger brim). For the price, a great option to knock about the outdoors in. I know you're a big Akubra fan, and I'm betting you could get a Campdraft for around the same price with the same basic look (plus a bound brim). Either Moose Creek or Campdraft, both nice hats that you won't have to baby.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Oh Man! I've got one of those! Great hat. Had it for years. Its been camping, backpacking- you name it! Its a great value. Mine's pretty beat up, but it cleans up nicely. You should definitely get one!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Of what is it made?

L13081_Silverbelly.jpg

art92101

One of the Regulars
That Silverbelly looks good..in photos

That hat looks sharp! However; i will share a story.
I bought a similar hat from Cabelas a few years back. It was a Stetson made for Cabelas. I had a learning experince with that hat. It "fit" on my head but was never quite right. My local hatter convinced me that it had been made on a round block. I wear a long oval. I tried wearing it into shape but gave up and gave it away to a godson. lesson? if the hat doesn't fit out of the box...return it right away for a refund.

johnnycanuck

Thank you all very much for your feedback. I will have to look at freeing up some finances in the New Year to give it a go.
Also I think this gives a good opportunity to send a message with buying power. If people buy nice hats from regular stores, then those stores are more likely to carry them on a regular basis. Those are just my thoughts on the matter.
Johnny

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
I have a Stetson Moose River that I won on eBay from the infamous Grapevinehill. I've never been happy with it, viz.:

1. The so-called silverbelly color has a pronounced pink cast to it, which makes it difficult to coordinate with the colors I wear.

2. I don't like the "dimentionalized" brim, 2-9/16 in. in the front and 2-3/16 in on the sides and back. I prefer a traditional 2-1/2 in. all around.

3. I don't like the low, tapered crown; which seems to have become lower and more tapered with continued wearing. I haven't been very successful correcting this by reblocking. (I have my own block.)

4. The hat fit well when I got it (Size 7-3/8); but quickly shrunk to a 7 or 7-1/8. I've had it professionally stretched twice, and stretched it on my own stretcher several times, but every time I take it out of the closet, it is tight again.​

I wouldn't buy another one of these, certainly not from Grapevinehill. L.L. Bean is a much better bet. They will refund/exchange without any arguments.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I think I bought the one listed before this. I found it stiff-looking, so I wet it up a little and started the ol' massage. It relaxed somewhat and looks more lived-in, but the sweatband (which is very stiff on its own) left a ridge in the ouside. So it ain't over yet. But the Moose is getting some outings.

analogist

One of the Regulars
Moose River

I received a Moose River from L.L. Bean in silver belly last Thursday.

Perhaps I am spoiled but I bought the hat because I had $30 in LLB coupons about to expire hoping to find something decent.

What arrived was somethin akin to flocked cardboard with a sweatband that was just unacceptable. The ribbon was not only poorly placed but very visibly tacked on in several places with a was of darker thread which on a 6 ligne ribbon is very visible.

I own several Stetsons including a pure beaver Pinnacle (really nice) a Chatham and a Roadmaster (both pretty good) A Stetson 100 and a Royal Stetson (both super) and many others. To consider the current Moose River part of the same family is unrealistic.

I returned the Moose River to LLB on Friday.

analogist

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic