Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first hat - Akubra Snowy River

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
After several months of being on this forum I have finally purchased my first felt hat, an Akubra Snowy River. While visiting the David Morgan retail location found the Snowy River in 7 1/8 size in their reject section for $60. Apparently is was returned by the previous owner who had done a number on the brim. I figured that this was a good opportunity to try out some of the hat tools I had been purchasing over the past few months. While I am still a noob and the hat isn't perfect it does look a lot better than when I first picked it up.

Just after purchase:
JustAfterPurchase.jpg

Flattened Brim:
FlattenedBrim.jpg

Hand Shaped Brim:
HandShapedBrim.jpg

My next project is a bowler that I am shaping from a Fepsa hat body that I purchased.

javadave61

Practically Family
Congratulations, and welcome! My first "real" hat was an Akubra Stockman (the smaller brimmed brother of the Snowy River). I love the hat. Just be warned. That was only a few months ago. I'm now on my third Akubra. They can be addicting. And good job working the brim. Steam will get that in whatever shape you want it.

I have 3 , the best way I would suggest to get this to fit perfect is to get the outside completely wet put it on your head and form shape with your hands

ScaryWoody

New in Town
My first was an Akubra Cattleman, which led to an Akubra Down Under, which led to a Stetson fedora, which led to an Australian Outback Collection Jackeroo, which has me looking for....... Oh yeah, you're hooked.

skydog757

A-List Customer
Nice work on the brim. You've really got the bug if you can look at a beater and envision the various shapes that you can create. With patience and skill, of course.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
What tools have you been collecting? Re-shaping your own hat is fun, isn't it? Wearing a lid you've customized with your own hands makes it extra special. NONE of my dozen hats are the shape they arrived in -- I re-do all of them (some several times!).

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
@H Weinstein these are the tools that I have:
1. Jiffy hat steamer
2. Foot Tolliker (wood)
3. Puller downer (wood)
4. Pusher downer (wood)
5. Pusher downer (metal)
6. One wooden hat block
7. Rounding jack
8. Brim curling shackle set (metal): 1/8", 3/8", 5/8"
9. Open Telescope Turner (a little metal tool to tighten up the telescope)
10. 2 brim brushes (one light, one dark)
11. 2 crown brushes (one light, one dark)
12. Dry flat iron

I currently have 10 new lids arriving soon, I blocked them and did the work myself on a visit to JW Hats and shipped them back. 6 are still in Open Crown so I will finish them up when they arrive. As for other tools, I am in the design phase of trying to create my own blocks, band blocks, and get them created using a CNC machine to shape them out of poplar. I make my own hat stiffener from clear shellac and denatured alcohol. Also designing a work table that I can put a hat block on and spin it and sand it down, will also help with ironing the crown. I am sure that I am forgetting something else but that is a pretty decent start. I only began getting the tools in January.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21