Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

more antique store finds

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Well- I just got back from a college trip. I found some hats along the way.

I found four of these (The Mallory, the Champ, the Bergen and the Pilgrim) in the same antique shop in northeren PA. THe stetson I found in Toronto.

IMG_3079-1.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3081-1.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg

It's a canadian Royal Stetson. It's aquanized, extra long oval, and was sold by Calhouns hat shops, which had branches in Hamilton, Toronto, London, and Windsor. The hat feels the same as an american stetson, but has different reorder tags, and the size tag is silver foil on heavy stock, instead of US printed paper.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The next one is a Stingy Champ in 7-1/4.
The felt is a purpley grey.
I didn't get a chance to wear it on the trip like I did with the others, because I didn't have a chance to steam it. I'm going to try to get to that tonight.
I've seen plenty of hats with initials stamped in, but this one takes the cake.
IMG_3086.jpg

IMG_3087.jpg

IMG_3088.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This is possibly the oddest hat I have ever seen.
It's very high quality, and looks '30s from the inside, but what on earth is it?
colors are accurate. Check out the purple.
IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_3085.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This Mallory got the most wear. It got soaked through on several occasions, but came right back. Thank god for the cravenette process.
It has a back bow, and a teloscope pinch front crown.
IMG_3089-1.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The last hat to me looks to be a homburg that has been altered on the crown and brim . The first hat is a realy nice find. The Canadian Stetson was made during the 1940's and looks to be in good shape . They are hard to come by.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Nts

New in Town
Very nice finds:eusa_clap

I may go on a trip this weekend, and hopefully have some great luck like you.
Did you pay much for your finds?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
whoops- forgot the Pilgrim. It has a really cool pattern in the ribbon. The button of the wind string is sewn to the hat, not the other way around.
I also got a red and creme pilgrim brand late '40s tie from the same booth.
IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3075.jpg

IMG_3077.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

These are the ones I bought. You should've seen the ones I passed up. There was a beautiful canadian derby that was calling my name. It fit perfect, and looked great on me, but at 100 bucks, it stayed there. There were a bunch of stingy brims with ripped sweatbands, and a ton of 7-5/8 derbies. The coolest tiny hat was what looked like a teens or twenties dobbs milan boater with a very old logo I've never seen, and a super wide sweatband. Cool stuff is out there.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
this kid is making me sick...i go out to our antique stores and i find smiley face glasses and twin beds,,,,but NO HATS and i hae been looking for over a year...

It seems that the east is full of hats...

good finds,,,,

mark tssb

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Those are great finds. Interestingly enough I have a Stetson Imperial Open Road that is from Calhouns. It is in like new condition. Yours looks fantastic. This weekend I saw a Stetson Open Road 25, unworn in an open crown state with the original box for $105. I passed on it for 2 reasons, it was a 7 5/8ths, way too big for me and I already have one. Every now and then you can find some jewels out there.

fedoralover

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Bergen

The Pilgrim is great but i do like he Bergen. The Bergin may be a equestrian
dressage hat. (if you are every letting the Bergin go let me know).

Well Done Again.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Razzman

One Too Many
Nice haul Dinerman! Great looking hats. Love the Pilgrim.
Congratulations :eusa_clap How did you find the time to visit any Institutions of Higher Learing????

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Thanks all.
Like I said, I found 4 of them in the same shop. There were probably another 10 in said shop, but they were either extremely overpriced, damaged, tiny, or junk. So that only took 15 minutes for that stop.
Toronto is beautiful.
Montreal is as well, but it sleeted and snowed the entire time I was there, so that took away from the experience a bit.
Providence is a pretty cool town as well.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Dinerman, you hit the jackpot! That Bergen deserves some serious investigation
IMHO; might be something important; and the Pilgrim; grrrrr ( I mean, nice hat).
Now go back to school and stay out of those bad shops.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's what I turned up on the bergen. With the exception of being two sizes smaller, this one looks almost identical. It's really a very odd hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael