Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More modern hat questions

Simon82

One of the Regulars
First off, let me say my first three fedoras have been a vintage velour, a custom Adventurebilt, and now, another custom on order from Vintage Silhouettes -- nowhere to go but down, right? :p

However, I'm still very curious about the quality of the best modern hats. I love the looks of several Akubras: Bushman, Sydney, Stylemaster, Gray Federation and even the Cattleman.

But before I commit to any one of those (unfortunately, 'cause I can't afford *two*), I'm comparing them with other moderns I've heard good things about.

So, I've been looking at the Miller Biltmores, the Peters Bros. "Bulletproof," and the Bailey 50/50 beaver/hare blend fedoras. Anybody have a point of comparison on any of these?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Stay away from the Bailey hats . The Biltmores are a better hat for the money . Miller carries a nice variety of them (probably more than anyone ).

Steven
Bencraft Hats
;)

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't overlook

swing_graphite.jpg

the Akubra "Swing"

BigSho

Vendor
I would have to agre with my friend steven on Biltmore. They make a beautiful hat for the money you cant go wrong.

Jeremy
Hats Plus Ltd.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
I own an Akubra, a Miller (made by Biltmore), and an Art Fawcett.

The Biltmore is a really nice costume hat, and if they were $75, I would buy three more - but at $120 I have learned my lesson. What I saw from Beaver Brand was the same.

The Akubra is a decent hat, although they use bad plastic looking ribbon, and stitch it on just as poorly as all other modern hat factories. Changing it out with some Schiff rayon-cotton grosgrain makes a big difference, IMO.

Joel

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Rick, thanks for the photo of the "Swing." Nice hat, and looks great in Smokey Blue.

I'm still trying to decide, and everyone's posts are helping to narrow things down. However, I'm now also looking at non-fedora Akubras such as the Wentworth, Blue Mountains (only found at Hats Direct) and the Jackaroo. I once hated the idea of unlined, eyelet crowns, but these may be great options for March, April and May when it gets warm and humid in the South.

johnnycanuck

I may as well add my two cents worth in here. I own a Biltmore and it is a good hat. Finer quality then the Akubra (softer and easier to manipulate) and for that reason I keep it reserved for "classy events". My X-girlfriend wore hers all the time and it stood up fine to snow and rain so it is durable for every day wear. You also can not go wrong with an Akubra. Fedora or bush hat they are all great. I own 6 right now, three bush (snowy river-fawn, Down under-black, Military) and three fedoras (federation-brown, federation deluxe-brown, Squatter-grey). You can throw anything at these hats and they will take it. But they come hard/starched and take a while to break in and get soft. Hope that helps.
Johnny

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
johnnycanuck said:
I own a Biltmore and it is a good hat. Finer quality then the Akubra (softer and easier to manipulate)

This is not the first post here with that sentiment, but I really have to wonder what you guys are looking at. By any criteria - including pliability of the felt - the Akubra I own (stylemaster) is superior to the Biltmore (Raider, open crown). It has a better sweat, better felt, better liner, and overall better construction. I feel this is a good comparison since they are both dress hats, and both sell for the same price.

Are you doing apples to apples? It's not fair to pit an Akubra outback model against a Biltmore dress hat, for instance.

Joel

johnnycanuck

Good day Joel
I am comparing apples to apples or more like hats to hats. My Federation, federation deluxe and Squatter are all Akubra dress hats not bush hats. The Biltmore is also a dress hat. I merely shared my observations and opinions on them. Obviously everyone has different experiences and opinions. This is just mine.
Johnny

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Great subject, please keep the comments coming.
I am currently looking to purchase a new hat (actually, It will be my Christmas Present).
I have an Akubar Outback and a Miller Manhattan (built by Biltmore). And I agree with “johnnycanuck” there is really no way to compare the two.
The Outback can turn a rain better than a North-westener but I don’t want to look like Dundee going out to dinner.
The Miller is very Luxurious and will get tons of complements.
Can anyone offer more suggestions on DRESS HATS?
Thanks

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Moose river

Check out the Moose River Hat by Stetson
Our Stetson® for anglers. Designed for rugged use, with a 2 3/8" brim to protect against sun and the elements. Slightly tapered crown can be pinched for an individual custom fit. Made in the USA by Stetson, famous since 1865 for classic fur felt hats, on our original Moose River Hat™ blocks

http://www2.llbean.com/product/13081.htm

I wore one for several years when I was hiking on the AT back in the 70's

rick54

New in Town
Well I'll chime in here as well. I recently picked up a Homburg from Optimo Hat Co. in Chicago while I was there for the opera. I have to say I'm very impressed with my Homburg. It's an eye catcher with the gents, and a second look with the ladies! I've already ordered a derby and this spring I'm prepared to order a 1940's style fedora. I expressed my desires with Graham when I picked out the Homburg and he was kind enough to record my hat size and the particulars in hats that I was interested in. So now it's just a matter of a phone call away and my next hat is ordered. I'm impressed with the beaver/nutria felt and the styles he offers. If there's a chance you can get away to Chicago for a long weekend, I'd highly suggest that you visit his hat shop. I emailed him ahead and he was looking foreward to my visit. He and the staff were excellent and spent a great amount of time going over all the points of owning a fine hat. If nothing else, a weekend away in Chicago is the next best thing to a mini vacation!

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Tinmanzz: Thanks for the heads-up on the Stetson. As I'm really fair-skinned, I'm looking more for a wide-brimmed hat, starting with 2 1/2", up to some hats that have 3 1/2" brims. BTW, Noggintops.com is a great site to see how the hats actually appear on a model's head, so I've gotten a good idea what many of the styles look like.

Rick: I'm glad you're getting the top notch service Optimo offers. Alas, anything that uptown is a ways in my future. And you're a brave man to head to the Windy City in the cold snap!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran