Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A vintage Stetson Royal came home with me today...

lbgradwell

Familiar Face
Although I have long appreciated hats and even had a couple back around 2000 or so, I was not very conversant. But I have learned a great deal over the past couple of years by reading the threads here at The Fedora Lounge and for that, I thank you!

Residing in Canada, my interest was piqued again a few years back when I learned the venerable Biltmore Hats was being shut down and moved to Texas. Even though I'd been aware of Biltmore and had even driven past their former location in Guelph, ON a number of times, I had never taken the time to visit the factory, and that is now something I will always regret.

So, over the past year or so, I have bought a number of Canadian-production Biltmores from people listing the hats on kijiji (like craigslist). I have also picked up a few Akubras both locally and via eBay or directly from an Aussie retailer. In total, I'm now up to 14 including today's acquisition and an Akubra Cattleman that doesn't appear in the photo below...

LGs%20Hats%20Smaller.jpg

The hats range from an outright cowboy Biltmore through the western and casual Akubras, a Tyrolean Biltmore for Octoberfest in nearby Kitchener, and a collection of fedoras. In short, I've just been having fun exploring and learning...

But reading through the threads here, it becomes apparent that vintage hats are held in very high esteem. I'm somewhere between a 7-1/2 and a 7-5/8, so I have not been very hopeful of finding anything vintage in my size for an amount I'd be prepared to pay, and had largely decided I'd try a Fed 4 and Campdraft and be done with it.

The hat I bought today was listed as a 7-3/8 - fairly large for vintage I understand - so I thought I'd have it if only to re-sell or trade for something in my size. But when I collected it, the Royal Stetson turned out to be an Extra Long Oval (something I'd never encountered), and, to my pleasant surprise, was pretty close to fitting me!

Once home, I gave it a good brushing and gently wiped it down with a damp cloth. Apart from that musty storage smell, the hat is in extremely good condition. The lady from whom I purchased it said it had been her husband's grandfather's. She was around 50, so I had at least a rough idea of its age, and subsequent research today makes me think it might be a Canadian-made 1950s specimen.

I would like to hear your thoughts - voices of dissent are welcome!

First with the crown popped back to open:

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201b.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201c.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201d.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201e.jpg

...and then with a quick dry bash and pinch...

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%202b.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%202c.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%202d.jpg

And the clues from inside!

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201f.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201g.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201h.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201i.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201j.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201k.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201l.jpg

I can't quite make out the scribble in the last photo. I considered "Twenty", but I don't know if that makes sense or is even possible.

I look forward to your input!

Although I have long appreciated hats and even had a couple back around 2000 or so, I was not very conversant. But I have learned a great deal over the past couple of years by reading the threads here at The Fedora Lounge and for that, I thank you!

Residing in Canada, my interest was piqued again a few years back when I learned the venerable Biltmore Hats was being shut down and moved to Texas. Even though I'd been aware of Biltmore and had even driven past their former location in Guelph, ON a number of times, I had never taken the time to visit the factory, and that is now something I will always regret.

So, over the past year or so, I have bought a number of Canadian-production Biltmores from people listing the hats on kijiji (like craigslist). I have also picked up a few Akubras both locally and via eBay or directly from an Aussie retailer. In total, I'm now up to 14 including today's acquisition and an Akubra Cattleman that doesn't appear in the photo below...

LGs%20Hats%20Smaller.jpg

The hats range from an outright cowboy Biltmore through the western and casual Akubras, a Tyrolean Biltmore for Octoberfest in nearby Kitchener, and a collection of fedoras. In short, I've just been having fun exploring and learning...

But reading through the threads here, it becomes apparent that vintage hats are held in very high esteem. I'm somewhere between a 7-1/2 and a 7-5/8, so I have not been very hopeful of finding anything vintage in my size for an amount I'd be prepared to pay, and had largely decided I'd try a Fed 4 and Campdraft and be done with it.

The hat I bought today was listed as a 7-3/8 - fairly large for vintage I understand - so I thought I'd have it if only to re-sell or trade for something in my size. But when I collected it, the Royal Stetson turned out to be an Extra Long Oval (something I'd never encountered), and, to my pleasant surprise, was pretty close to fitting me!

Once home, I gave it a good brushing and gently wiped it down with a damp cloth. Apart from that musty storage smell, the hat is in extremely good condition. The lady from whom I purchased it said it had been her husband's grandfather's. She was around 50, so I had at least a rough idea of its age, and subsequent research today makes me think it might be a Canadian-made 1950s specimen.

I would like to hear your thoughts - voices of dissent are welcome!

First with the crown popped back to open:

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201b.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201c.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201d.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201e.jpg

...and then with a quick dry bash and pinch...

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%202b.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%202c.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%202d.jpg

And the clues from inside!

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201f.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201g.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201h.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201i.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201j.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201k.jpg

Stetson%20Royal%20Eatons%201l.jpg

I can't quite make out the scribble in the last photo. I considered "Twenty", but I don't know if that makes sense or is even possible.

I look forward to your input!
Nice snag! With some careful massage you should have a nice fit.

lbgradwell

Familiar Face
Nice snag! With some careful massage you should have a nice fit.

I'm a little concerned. I have a stretcher in place right now, but it isn't really doing much stretching. I wanted to poll the membership to see if I should VERY carefully try a slight stretch or return to my initial plan to trade it. I really would like to keep it if it's Canadian production. Can anyone confirm this?

The sweatband is just lovely and buttery soft. I am confident it would stretch without issue. But I'm somewhat concerned I might distort the lines of the felt somehow...

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Oh. Hahaha!

Excellent. Thank you!
That is a super nice hat you have found. If you do anything to make that hat be larger, do it slowly....use some steam all the way around the brim...get a lot of steam on it take your time. That way you help reduce the chance of having your hat jack put an indentation on the sides of the crown and distort the hat. No matter what it will most likely "tweak" the brim a bit and make it do what is commonly called, "go wonky" so be prepared for that. After you steam and hat jack to stretch out the size...I would leave it alone for a while with the jack still inside the hat, and then if you have a hat brush with a handle, steam the brim and use the handle of that brush to help "iron out" the wonky part of the brim, lay the hat down on an ironing board and use the handle of your hat brush to iron out the wonky part....you have to be quick so the steam is still active on the brim.

lbgradwell

Familiar Face
That is a super nice hat you have found. If you do anything to make that hat be larger, do it slowly....use some steam all the way around the brim...get a lot of steam on it take your time. That way you help reduce the chance of having your hat jack put an indentation on the sides of the crown and distort the hat. No matter what it will most likely "tweak" the brim a bit and make it do what is commonly called, "go wonky" so be prepared for that. After you steam and hat jack to stretch out the size...I would leave it alone for a while with the jack still inside the hat, and then if you have a hat brush with a handle, steam the brim and use the handle of that brush to help "iron out" the wonky part of the brim, lay the hat down on an ironing board and use the handle of your hat brush to iron out the wonky part....you have to be quick so the steam is still active on the brim.

Thank you for your advice, Cindy. I do have handled hat brushes in both light and dark.

So may I infer that it is not a terrible idea to gently, slowly and careful attempt to stretch this specimen? We're talking half a size at most.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thank you for your advice, Cindy. I do have handled hat brushes in both light and dark.

So may I infer that it is not a terrible idea to gently, slowly and careful attempt to stretch this specimen? We're talking half a size at most.
You should be fine...go real slow. If you are a Long Oval you can even put in a thick chunk of cardboard from a cardboard box right dead center on the hat jack ends...about strips maybe two inches long to help give your stretcher an egg shape more....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran