Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More Panama Collection

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Two Cuenca Hats from Fiesta Hats <P>
MVC-001S_edited.JPG
<P>
MVC-003S_edited.JPG
<P>
Montecristi finos in various shapes, styles, and ages (including an unblocked) from Panama Hatworks of Montecristi (PanamaBob)<P>
MVC-004S_edited.JPG
<P>
MVC-005S_edited.JPG
<P>
MVC-006S_edited.JPG
<P>
MVC-010S_edited.JPG
<P>

MVC-003F_edited.JPG
<p>
Dimecloseup1.JPG
dimefar.JPG

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Wow, that one with the dime and tape measure is VERY fine! Do you know approximately how many weaves in an inch it is?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Robert just sent this to be blocked for me. The wpsi was a conservative 1700+ approximately 44by40 in most places which is 1760. The hat is signed by FP (Flerida Pachay), the weaves are straight, the backweave is nice, the brim is long and the crown is big, it has a number of vueltas, uniform color, enjiras galore, and feels like linen. <P> Remember, this hat hasn't been blocked, but upon blocking the crown should be about 5 1/8" at highest and the brim 2 7/8" long. <P> I'm back on the list for another one and I'm 7th on the list because of the scarcity this summer.
sharpetoys.jpg
<P>
Incabox has suggested a tool that you can buy at radio shack, .Handy lighted magnification microscope , that magnifies one square inch so you can hand count the actual number of weaves. He said we'll probably get another total count this way, but close in number.Handy lighted magnification microscope

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hey Sharptoys

Nice hat. I really like that last one, with the big brim! Art just did one for me, and it's great.

And what a nice neighborhood you live in there .....Florida? We have many homes out here in the East Bay of SF that look exactly the same.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
uhh ohh...Robert emailed me he was sending a hat and would explain later. Gulp!!! This is SOO nice a hat!! Congrats Sharptoys. I hope I get to work on it!!

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
The hats are all 2-3 years old, are not fino finos, except the new one, and get good use daily...they look like they need reblocked, yes, but not out of the ordinary for hats that are put to great use. These aren't wear once a year hats.

I know our hats in Ecuador are blocked differently and less professionally than in USA. But that also makes them more affordable.

We also are well aware that we need blocking services in the USA.

On the incabox hat from the other post...a VERY WELL KNOWN blocker blocked that hat and there are tremendous problems with the block and the stitched in leather has cut many of the straws...this is a guy who has blocked hats for presidents....and look at the hat. Use does that....not the bad sewing, but the blocking coming out.

Again, our job is to keep the weavers weaving...if we sell 1000 $20.00 hats a year we can keep them weaving.

Just as I'll never apologize for selling reasonably, I won't apologize for affording a hat blocker a job in Ecuador.

You guys just maybe don't understand what life is like down there. If we can provide for the weavers and provide for a blocker and provide for a guy to cut the leather, and provide for a guy to sew, and provide for a guy to mail the boxes...even if it is not up to someone's standards...big deal...That one guy certainly isn't going to provide for several families.

We need the cheapies, ebays, etc. blocked in Ecuador and the Finer hats blocked up here to keep the money rolling in and on the other hand, to keep the standards higher for the guys up here.

We have to keep them working. We're exploring non-profit status here in the states and in Ecuador. But that is another story.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
If money is an issue:

There is another train of thought involving buying a hat from Ecuador and having it blocked there. Let's say the cost of blocking a Panama hat here in the States is $100.00 to $200.00 a hat. You could put that amount of money into quality of the weave and get a better Panama hat from Panamabob. In time all hats will need to be reblocked but you will always have the finer woven hat , especially if money is an issue now. Can you imagine paying $275.00 for a hat from Ecuador and you invest another $200.00 in that hat instead of the blocking. What a Quality hat you would have!!!

That hat would sell with many vendors here in the States in the thousands. I have not had one person ask me who blocked my hat. They say, "Nice hat. Where did you get it?" I believe the weave of the hat will be here long after the block falls out of the hat.

Throught buying hats we are keeping the people that make these hats working so in time the average weaver becomes the master weaver.

I saved over $1800.00 as compared to a Montecristi vendor in St. Augustine and that includes professional blocking by Art. The hat was $2500 and is no better than the one I purchased from Panamabob. It isn't the price you pay, it is the quality you end up with.

Just my thoughts.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Well, I've got my first PanamaBob hat in the works now. Just too many rave reviews from board members to go with anyone else. Hopefully Art will receive it, work his magic on it and I'll have it in the not too distant future.

rayk

Familiar Face
Imahomer, I've no doubt that you will be pleased beyond words. As I've recently said elsewhere, the combination of a finely woven Montecristi fino from Bob, and a great block and finish from Art is simply unbeatable. And SHARPETOYS, the weave of your fino fino shown above is unbelievable!!!

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
A little birdy told me i should have the Montecristi Fino Fino back here next week.
As the drool runs down his face, he can see it now sitting on his folicly challenged head.:) :) :) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters