Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More Vintage Menswear Illustrations...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Those styles were a disaster for the menswear industry. Fashion forecasters had predicted that U.S doughboys returning from World War I would actually want to continue wearing suits that looked and fit like their military uniforms. Wrong, wrong, wrong! The only thing they liked about the uniforms was the soft attached collars on their shirts. Those suits pictured above absolutely bombed at the cash register.

The result was that suitmakers returned to looser fitting styles, and didn't change them at all for the next 10 years. It wasn't until the Depression that things really began to change again ... but that's another story.

Nonchalant

One of the Regulars
Here's some pictures from the latter half of the 'twenties. At least I think this represents the looser fitting style that Marc is talking about. Much more natural, far less exaggerated in style, and surely a lot more comfortable to wear.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Nonchalant said:
... this represents the looser fitting style that Marc is talking about. Much more natural, far less exaggerated in style, and surely a lot more comfortable to wear.

Exactly. Men were very happy with this looser-fitting, more natural style. Then the Depression hit, and the U.S. menswear industry was especially hurt. Since suit styles hadn't changed since the early '20s, there was no incentive for penny-pinching men to purchase new ones in the dark days of 1932. What could be done to convince male customers to BUY, BUY, BUY?

Two answers:

-- ESQUIRE magazine

-- The drape suit

ESQUIRE, in league with the menswear industry, worked very hard to convince men that they had to buy new clothes and accessories in order to show themselves (and their neighbors) that the Depression hadn't gotten them down. ESQUIRE also reached out to women, so that they would goad their husbands into "rejuvenating" their wardrobes.

The drape suit, promoted heavily by ESQUIRE and the menswear industry, met heavy resistance from American customers. Its cut was a radical change from what had been the norm for the previous 10 years. No 1920s suit could be modified by a tailor in order to achieve the "drape" look; the only way to obtain the look would be to buy a brand new drape suit outright. For this reason, suit manufacturers strove mightily to convince American men to embrace it. Eventually, they succeeded.

Nonchalant

One of the Regulars
herringbonekid said:
check out mr. two-belts !
those extra-deep waistbands always looked a bit creepy to me.

And what's with the pattern on that(I mean those) belt(s)? Very odd...

Marc, didn't you start a thread on unusual fashions from the Sears cataloges a while back? Maybe you should revive that one, too.

Rooster

Practically Family
Nonchalant said:
Here's some pictures from the latter half of the 'twenties. At least I think this represents the looser fitting style that Marc is talking about. Much more natural, far less exaggerated in style, and surely a lot more comfortable to wear.

You'll notice figure "E" has raised his arm and his head hasn't been enveloped by his coat shoulder.....lol

Jovan

Suspended
scotrace said:
interwoven_smaller_image.jpg

Question: Did this ad sell socks or send gentlemen to another brand? (ca. 1912)​
That is now my display picture on MSN. ****ing priceless.

Jovan

Suspended
Marc Chevalier said:
That's right: skinny pegged pants were NOT a 1960s invention.
I've been aware of this a long time. Trends tend to repeat themselves and I overall like the '60s style. (If my avatar doesn't say that already!)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
20s shoes

Nonchalant said:

Some of those shoes look just like what the kids wear around in 2007!

Nonchalant said:

I have a deadstock jacket almost identical to the one marked B, but in blue. The button stance really is that high! Those jackets are pretty long, too.

bk

Jovan

Suspended
Nope. Pegged highwatered trousers were an Ivy League thing too, which is mostly what he seems to be inspired by. Besides which, they come unhemmed anyways. Some of his coats seem '20s inspired though, and look similar to the belted ones that button all the way in front. Take, for instance, this Batman villain at his show.

00010m.jpg

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
The short, fitted, wide-cuffed pants seem to have become popular in Italy...I've seen a lot of pictures of supposedly fashionable people in Italy wearing this style.

Marc, most of those pictures show a natural shoulder on the jackets. Do you know when roped shoulders became more popular?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Mr. Rover said:
Do you know when roped shoulders became more popular?

Good question. Roped shoulders (and their variants) have been hovering around for a while ... as far back as the early 19th century, in fact. Some fashion-forward suitmakers tried promoting them in the mid 1920s, but few Americans took the bait.

It wasn't until the '30s that roped shoulders started coming into their own, especially with young 'collegiate' men. The style hung on into the '40s, then disappeared until the 1960s, when Carnaby Street designers revived it. French and Italian designers followed suit, and carried it into the 1970s: Yves Saint Laurent was a big promoter.

By the 1980s, roped shoulders had once again disappeared from the ready-to-wear market. They're the exception to the rule these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points