Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most common hat size

It would be interesting to know, for a person that is overweight, just how much would they have to lose to drop a whole head size? Maybe not a practical goal.
It may not be practical, but it's as good a reason as any to drop a few pounds. ;)

According to this informal poll the most common hat sizes among members here are 7-3/8 (59) and 7-1/2 (60). Of course, with only 117 participants it might not be the most accurate gauge. However, I seem to recall a similar poll on another forum (probably Club Obi Wan) with nearly identical results.

By the way, I'm a 7-1/2 (60).

Last edited:

Mr.Astor

Banned
For some reason I always thought 7 1/4 (58) was the most common hat size.

Trying to be economical on blocks I carry a 7" 7 1/8" and a 7 1/4" I'm sorry also keep a 6 7/8 that I can boost with felt for in between. Most used is 7 1/4! IMHO.

Cane rod maker picks up the slack ( 7 1/4 and beyond) and makes a fine hat for the gentlemen that fall in that range.:eusa_clap

Last edited:

new2hats

A-List Customer
Wow! didnt expect all these posts, so thanks for the helpful info. Will collect more information to build my store. It will start small but I want to be sure there is enough for the traffic that comes through!

new2hats

A-List Customer
I wear a 7 1/4 and sometimes try to squeeze into a 7 1/8 .. Recently upon squeezing into the 7 1/8 I have noticed a slight headache..

Regards

CCJ

I am the same size (7 1/8 but have a long oval head so buy 7 1/4), but have been looking into 7 1/8 long ovals, which are hard to find. I just bought at regular 7 1/8 to see if I can squeeze into it and maybe stretch it out lengthwise.

I do find that sometimes I am in the mood for a looser hat, some times the tightness feels good!

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I wear 7 1/4. But I find it surprising how much of a difference a haircut makes. Yes, I understand why the hats I bought when I was 20 and had a huge mound of curly hair are too big for my balding head at 45. But when I get my already thin and short "business" haircut renewed every month or so, my hats get noticeably looser.

So despite gaining quite a bit of weight since college, my hat size is smaller. I guess if I ever go totally bald, I may be able to buy some of these vintage bargains :)

...I do find that sometimes I am in the mood for a looser hat, some times the tightness feels good!
Funny how that works, isn't it? Most days that's one of the factors when deciding which of my hats to wear. It doesn't work the same way with shoes though. ;)

...I find it surprising how much of a difference a haircut makes. Yes, I understand why the hats I bought when I was 20 and had a huge mound of curly hair are too big for my balding head at 45. But when I get my already thin and short "business" haircut renewed every month or so, my hats get noticeably looser...
If I suddenly lost all of my hair I'd probably go down at least two full hat sizes. lol

Landman

One Too Many
I'm in between a 7 3/8 and a 7 1/2. I'm also a long oval so I usually buy a 7 1/2. It would be nice to see more long oval choices. I wonder if the head shape has changed with the head size? There seems to be a lot of people looking for long ovals today.

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
So why does it seem men had smaller hat sizes back in the day? There are a ton of size 7 and below, but few size 7 3/8 to 7 1/2 vintage hats on the market. Doesn’t make sense.

So why does it seem men had smaller hat sizes back in the day? There are a ton of size 7 and below, but few size 7 3/8 to 7 1/2 vintage hats on the market. Doesn’t make sense.

Lots of reasons have been postulated. Better childhood nutrition is my favorite, but the prevalence of hormones in our food has also been suggested. We are also taller, live considerably longer, and weigh a whole lot more…on average, anyway.

I definitely believe the various groups who produce the foods that most of us eat have been "tinkering" with our food products for years now, putting additives in what they feed to chickens, pigs, cows, etc., to make them grow bigger and thus provide more meat for we carnivorous humans. Thing is, those additives are still in the meat when we eat it, so they're making us grow bigger as well.

Lots of reasons have been postulated. Better childhood nutrition is my favorite, but the prevalence of hormones in our food has also been suggested. We are also taller, live considerably longer, and weigh a whole lot more…on average, anyway.

There's also the flip side. We don't see as many of the "sweet spot" sizes in vintage because more of them were sold, worn, and thrown out than the sizes on the outer edge of the bell curve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay