Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most common hat size

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
Talking about fit, I just received a new Akubra Stylemaster. I am not used to new hats and fit this a bit stiff. Does it take a while to break in a new hat where it conforms to your head and feel more comfortable?

Talking about fit, I just received a new Akubra Stylemaster. I am not used to new hats and fit this a bit stiff. Does it take a while to break in a new hat where it conforms to your head and feel more comfortable?
I currently own nine Akubras--three Federation IVs, three Campdrafts, and three Hamptons--and each of them took at least a few days of wearing to begin to conform to my head. The "secret" I've found with Akubras is that you need to sweat in them during that break-in period just enough to dampen the sweatband leather. The moisture and chemicals in our perspiration dehydrate it slightly, and cause it to shrink just a bit, conforming it to the wearer's head. Not an exact science, but that's been my experience. :cool:

Darrell2688

A-List Customer
Hello Everyone,

I am still working on my hat, waiting on something to help with making a new leather hatband. While working on my hat I used a crown block that I made. I had to make some changes to my block since I no longer have a lot of hair, thinking about all the work that I was putting into my crown block, I was wondering what is the one hat size that most people wear, so I thought that I would ask. I wear a size 7 3/8", I measured my head with a cloth tape, measurement, 23 1/8" was snug, 23 1/4" was comfortable, in metric 59.2cm, Oval shape.

Thank you for your time and help,
Darrell

MisplacedHillbilly

One of the Regulars
7-1/8 long oval generally fits me best, although I do have a couple size 7 hats that I managed to get stretched out to fit. I have one beater Resistol 4x thats a 7-3/8 that unexpectedly fits fairly well, perhaps a mislabeled hat? I wore a 7-1/4 in high school over 2 decades ago, I figure I had an inflated sense of self then, AKA: a big head;)

Darrell2688

A-List Customer
Hi Brent,

I should have checked before I ask the question, as long as this Forum has been up, I should have figured that someone would have ask that question already.

Darrell

No worries, Darrell. Most of us have done this. Just don’t be surprised if your thread gets merged by a bartender.

I’m a 7 5/8 Extra Long Oval. Actually, I’m between 7 5/8 and 7 3/4 and I’ve never tried on a 7 3/4 that didn’t fit well. Most fedoras in 7 5/8 fit and I’m definitely a 62cm in Akubra (my 61s require some stretching). The stiffer the felt the more important the oval is right or I’ll need to go up in size.

Size 7-1/2 Regular Oval U.S. sizing, 60 cm for Akubras for me. There's a poll somewhere here on The Lounge from several years ago and, if I remember correctly, at the time people stopped contributing to it my size was the most popular/prevalent.

Hi Brent,

I should have checked before I ask the question, as long as this Forum has been up, I should have figured that someone would have ask that question already.

Darrell

Size 7-1/2 Regular Oval U.S. sizing, 60 cm for Akubras for me. There's a poll somewhere here on The Lounge from several years ago and, if I remember correctly, at the time people stopped contributing to it my size was the most popular/prevalent.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/hat-size-poll.43160/

Or…

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-size-are-you-poll.11826/page-4

jviss

Familiar Face
"The human skull never stops growing and it continues to develop throughout a person’s life. The skull does not only grow larger, it also shifts forward."

https://www.reference.com/science/age-skull-stop-growing-45c37e65bea1f640
"The human skull never stops growing and it continues to develop throughout a person’s life. The skull does not only grow larger, it also shifts forward."

https://www.reference.com/science/age-skull-stop-growing-45c37e65bea1f640

Is the amount of growth actually significant? I’ve worn the same size hat for almost forty years.

I don’t think your head size changes once you’re an adult, and it probably reaches full-size earlier than adulthood. Weight gain etc. can change your size a bit.
I have a client that for his first hat I made him a 7 1/4 and it fit him well. He lost 20 pounds and his next hat dropped down one full size to 7 1/8". He didn't like it when I said that now I could no longer refer to him as FatHead.

Strange to see the larger hat sizes being so dominant nowadays, at least here on the lounge. I'm sure hatmanufacturers will have statistics on how the hatsizes are distributed among the population and likely how they have developed over the decades.
Here are a few graphs I pulled off the internet on the subject. Both show that the top of the bell curve actually lies around size 7 1/8!

Headwear: designing headwear to fit the size and shape of Western and Asian populations

designing headwear.gif

And US Headsizes:
US headsizes.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80