Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Important Virtue

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Have to say integrity/honesty.

I'd rather deal with an unforgiving, mean, hard-nosed person who's word I can trust than a compassionate, kind, giving person who's word you have to "reinterpret."

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
An update on the Virtues through post #23:

Integrity.....................06
Humility......................03
Honesty.....................02
Kindness.....................02
Empathy.....................01
Faithfullness................01
Foregiveness...............01
Prudence....................01
Stubborness................01

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
is what I strive for, and frankly often fail! :(

Kurt Vonnegut, as a character or mybe two or three, says to the effect "above all else, damnit, you mist be kind." Always liked that. kind seems kind of underrated. People love to talk about the fancy sounding virtues of blah blah blah, but few people ever think about just being kind. Which of course, means treat people with pure love.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Not sure how I would put it. But my most imoprtant virtue would be to understand that we are all good, and only act in negative ways as a result of the distress that has been put upon us. SO, forgiveness maybe. Compassion maybe. and the humility to not think that because I am lucky enough to not be carrying a certian baggage, I am somehow superior to the person who is.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Kindness. If I have to choose between honesty and kindness, honesty doesn't make the world warmer, or make it easier to get along with anybody, or soften any suffering.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
I guess I'll have to go with integrity/honesty, too. You can find people who seem to act kind, anyway, but finding true, trustworthy people seems much more difficult. But, being me, I also see having integrity as also having humility, kindness and (especially) empathy in there, as well. It all seems part of developing into what being human should be.

That and you still have to break out in a fit of laughter at your own goofiness when you don't quite turn a doorknob and slam into a door. But I digress.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
HamletJSD said:
Have to say integrity/honesty.

I'd rather deal with an unforgiving, mean, hard-nosed person who's word I can trust than a compassionate, kind, giving person who's word you have to "reinterpret."

Nothing against integrity. But personally,I would rather deal with a kind giving flake than a mean spirited jerk who keeps his word.

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
reetpleat said:
Nothing against integrity. But personally,I would rather deal with a kind giving flake than a mean spirited jerk who keeps his word.

I've worked with both. You can never be sure you'll do business with a flake, and that develops an overlay of stress that has to be incorporated into the fee schedule. Eventually, you price yourself out of the market.

I cherish those who keep their word, even -- especially -- jerks. Few others will work with them, so it often turns into money in the bank.

Foofoogal

Banned
HamletJSD said:

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.KJV

Me too. Drives me nuts when people change like chameleons depending on who they are trying to impress at the time.

I believe also integrity and for sure love is subject to the individuals interpretation. This has really been bothering or testing me lately.
Some see love as giving a child a huge bag of candy and letting them eat till they are sick. I see things along these lines as the ultimate in child neglect and total lack of love.
When did we start coddling people so much?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran