Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most versatile Aero jacket? What do you think?

Graemsay

Practically Family
I think that the most versatile jacket would be something simple: Two hand warmer pockets; black or brown leather, probably Vicenza, goat, or a midweight horsehide; cotton drill lining; ideally cut a little bit longer than waist length, to give a bit more weather protection; enough space to layer a sweater underneath if you live in a cold climate; and with a fairly plain design, so not too many panels or pockets.

So I'm thinking a long half belt or slightly longer Sheene / Seven. (There are Café Racers that come down just above the hips.) If you want to go shorter, a Highwayman (any variant), one of the plainer half belts, or something like the Royale, an A2, or Aeromarine / Supermarine would also work.

Take something like a black Sheene. You could dress it up with a shirt and tie to be smart casual, or you would wear it with jeans and a t-shirt to a heavy metal concert. No-one would blink an eye in either context.

The idea of using a lighter leather than FQHH is that the jacket will be softer and easier to wear. It'll also have a bit less bulk to it. A cotton liner means it'll not be as warm, and that'll extend the season it's usable for. My old Hercules (quilted rayon) was usable between October and March, if I'd gone for drill I might be able to extend that.

A longer jacket gives better rain protection. I grew up in Cumbria, which is very wet, so that tends to be a bit of an obsession. :)

I'll selfishly vote for the Good Wear Ventura. It's the reason I got it.
I've literally worn it to meetings at Apple and Universal as well as my son's concerts with a T shirt. I even like to wear it with a motorcycle sweater under when it's cooler and I'm thinner.
Simple, comfortable and still Garner's compliments.
I've had many jackets and sold/given away most of them. Just a few stay here.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'll selfishly vote for the Good Wear Ventura. It's the reason I got it.
I've literally worn it to meetings at Apple and Universal as well as my son's concerts with a T shirt. I even like to wear it with a motorcycle sweater under when it's cooler and I'm thinner.
Simple, comfortable and still Garner's compliments.
I've had many jackets and sold/given away most of them. Just a few stay here.

I haven’t owned a Ventura, but I deem it the best jacket ever. One day.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'm actually shocked that you don't own one yet Nick!

I remember when you got yours. I remember Sloan putting his order in. In fact, all of you guys and gals who did haunt me with regret for not ordering years ago. It’s okay. I truly enjoy seeing everyone’s Venturas, etc. I need to throw away the tv and ditch the conspiracy websites. I’m pretty sure I chickened out from ordering one because I actually fell for that 2012 crap. Lol. After jackets I need to get in queue for a house. Anyhow, the GW sale page is always there. :)

Those GWs really are stunning to at least digitally marvel at. I’m a total Chapman fanboy, completely proud of it! But I like everything with four wheels and a zipper. I like most all jackets here, they’re all good songs in our jukebox; except for those featured in that hideous fashion nightmare thread.

Last edited:

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Since I own a Mariner I can fully recommend a buttoned longer jacket. I have worn it with jeans and boots as well as with formal clothing. I had a thread somewhere here, you can finf some fit pics as well there. I would recommend also a lighter leather since you look for a more versatile jacket. Vicenza would do, dark seal is a great colour.

Leither

One of the Regulars
My CXL Plainsman is my all purpose Aero.
Great with a teeshirt and jeans or shirt and chinos. Nice button cuffs, slim shape, half belt and longer cut
FB_IMG_1484687751683.jpg

KHainez

New in Town
This is a tough question. Because it depends on your own personal style and if you would still wear a specific style at different points in life. If you’re 20/30 years old and want a jacket that you can wear well into your 70’s the A2, highwayman or 30’s halfbelt would be my choice as they go well with jeans, chinos, cords suit trousers etc. Colour wise I couldn’t pick, I would need brown and black. Leather... again CXL for sure. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peacoat

Bartender
The brown Sheene in CXL FQHH. Good for temps in the 40s and low 50s. Wear a vest or a sweater under it when temps are in the 30s and you will be good to go. I have probably 15 or so leather jackets, and the Sheene is the one I wear the most when I am wearing leather. When the temps get below the 40s, I usually go with my Thunderbay, CXL FQHH in the brown of course, or a peacoat. This morning it will be about 10 above when I get out. Will forgo the leather and go with my Canada Goose.

Edward

Bartender
OK, this is a fun - if dangerous with my credit card so close-by(!) - game, I'll play.

Per the OP, I'm sticking to Aero models for the sake of specificity; other makers are available, who offer something of the same types or loose equivalents. That said.... I'll narrow it down to three Aero models I'd suggest, all based on the notion of a basic, leather jacket that one would wear during all but the most extreme of Summer Heat or Winter Cold. Numbering for convenience, not any suggested hierarchy.

1] The Highwayman. Aero's top seller, and highly versatile in that it's simply a great, basic casual leather jacket. A practical day to day wearer, it's at its best with denims / casual, imo, though it can be worn with collar and tie. Don't make the mistake of trying to size down too far in a misguided attempt to make a boxy jacket slim fit (I wear a 44 in a half belt and a 42 in a Highwayman), and you'll find you also have room in there for a sweater. My black one looks fantastic with a chunky, roll-neck submariner style, denim and engineer boots. Beyond that, the style of this jacket is so classic as to be utterly timeless. It can certainly be dressed to its 50s origins, or you might affect the look of John and Stu in Hamburg in 60/61, headed to the Star Club on the Reperbahn to play with the Silver Beetles, or it can be made to look as modern as you like.

2] The Bootlegger. This is a deceptive one - it's a halfbelt ( the pattern is the same as the Aero 50s halfbelt, but with an altered front), and can do every look that the whole range of Aero halfbelts can. Perfect for a sort of Howard Hughes type vibe, replacing the coat of a three-piece suit or similar. Looks fantastic with a tie, and equally superb with denim. The crossover front doesn't look especially motorcyclish out of that context, but has enough of an echo of it that you can dress it to an alternative motorcyclist look if so desired. Really useful chest pocket that can carry a lot of stuff. Get it in Cordovan and it will go with both black and brown boots. Does everything a Perfecto type can as well as having the capacity to be 'dressed up' in a way the Perfecto cannot.

3] The Royale. This is the only one of the three models I'm suggesting that I don't yet own, but bear with. I have owned a Wested Raiders (Indy jacket), and this is what draws me to the Royale. The Royale is, indeed, a very similarly appointed jacket, though to my eye classier (I have often argued that if they were dressing Indy for the first time today and looking for a jacket that fit the same mould as what we know as the Indy except with a more accurate, period style, it would be the Royale. The Royale has all the class and dress up / downability of the Bootlegger or any other halfbelt model, but with the addition of those two patch pockets on the front. I have travelled with an Indy jacket across many airports in the world, and across India and China, and having that jacket to hand has been fantastic - two good inner pockets (you'd have to spec these as options with Aero), plus the patch pockets are ideal for phones, wallets, tickets, passports.... all the bits you have to keep readily to hand in an airport, but don't want to have to keep emptying out of your trouser pockets every time you hit security and w.h.y.. For anywhere you don't need especially warm gear, an Aero Royale with two inner pockets added, a cotton drill lining, and in a hide weight perhaps goat or Vicenza would, imo, be the perfect 'world travel' jacket.

FWIW, the Wested Raiders could also be seen as a budget option here. Nowhere near as nice as the Aero, but that would hardly be a fair comparison given it's about a quarter of the price. The one I wore in India and China is goat, very light (good if you're going to be in warm conditions a lot), but much more durable than the lamb (I never had any worry about just getting on with wearing it hard). The little less finesse than the Aero means that, imo, it won't work quite as well for a collar and tie look, but it still can be done well and passable anywhere that that isn't too dress down.

Shawl Collar Barnstormer with sheepskin lining - perfect for business meetings ...during the Alaska gold rush of 1898. :rolleyes:

455320418673845_SCB%20side%20front-500.jpg

Puff Daddy or P Diddy or Diddiman or Ken Dodd or whatever it is he calls himself this week owns one of these. Ken tried to talk him out of it, apparently, because he was going to wear it in LA, but he wanted the look..... Probably useful when he goes indoor there, too - they do like their air conditioning.

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
It you guys have pics or links of any of these jackets dresses up with slacks and nice collared shirts, please post em! : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It you guys have pics or links of any of these jackets dresses up with slacks and nice collared shirts, please post em! : )
In order for that to happen, I'd have to be given orders by my boss (not that one) to go to a meeting where I have to wear that.
Otherwise, it's 100% casual here sans the occasional black tie event. Thank gawd. :)
I have the "meeting shelf" in the closet with dry-cleaned and wrapped shirts, ties, etc. for such days. When the next one occurs, I'll try to take a shot with the GW. Wife already thinks I'm nuts so it won't make it any worse...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner