Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motifs

Smuterella

One Too Many
AllaboutEve said:
I wish there was something related to my name like Fleur has, but as it's a derivative of the name Elizabeth then it would probably have to be Tudor diamonds and rubies wouldn't it!!lol

and apparently Elizabeth meant "pure"

Certainly doesn't apply to me.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
and apparently Elizabeth meant "pure"

Certainly doesn't apply to me.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol I didn't know that, that's so funny it's totally not me either!!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Kishtu said:
AllAboutEve - do you do toads as well, or just the smooth variety?

Am rather partial to most amphibians, even the ugly ones, but somehow newts don't have the same aesthetic appeal to most designers :rolleyes:

Kishtu Fink-Nottle :D

I'm a big fan of newts but I can't say I have ever seen them used as motifs, the Great Crested would make a fab brooch though.......

It's mainly frogs for me, mainly because of the connection with the love of my life (soppy isn't it!) but I get very excited when I find a toad in real life, they're so cute and elusive.

Last year I managed to see quite a few, Grass Snake, Adder, and Common Lizard, the Adder had me jumping up and down with excitement ..... but I digress in my anorak wildlifing here....:)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
For me it seems to be:

Flowers- Any kind. Almost to the extreme. You can find them on my clothes, in my jewelery, and through the summer months, in my hair. They are my favorite subject for drawing and painting. I press them for cards and other art projects. I adore growing all kinds of them, and seek out parks with pretty ones. I know the names of an inordinate number of them, and am trying to teach my husband. lol

Hearts- My jewelery box has a disproportionate amount of them. They also show up in my hair do-dads. Any time I doodle, this what I draw.

Fruit- This is the newest addition. I think part of it is due to my sunny yellow kitchen which I have accented with apples. (red, green and yellow) But it isn't limited to apples. I have been seeking a set of plastic fruit jewelery for quite some time, and fruit (of all sorts) is my second favorite subject for my artwork...

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
pin_up_pixie said:
Leopard print and polka dots.

Don't care how many people are wearing them, or if they are the "in" thing at the moment, I love them both.

With so many pretty ideas here, I would love to see some of your outfits... peacocks and mermaids especially.
I have no outfits that include mermaids but I have a big tattoo of one and plan on another. I love them :D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I dont think I have one.

There are parts of some that I like (such a hieroglyphics which all my tattoos are based on) but I dont want all jewelry, and prints etc of the stuff.

Some would say plaid, as I seem to wear it all the freggin time, but now Im trying to have more solids in my life. :rolleyes:

So no, not yet. I dont want to pigeon hole myself.

LD

Vanessa

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
So no, not yet. I dont want to pigeon hole myself.

I don't know if it's pigeon holing exactly. I happen to have a lot of pink in my wardrobe, but it's not all that I wear. I also have a particular fondness for fresh plumeria in my hair - but I've been known to wear any picked flower I can get my fence-jumping, are-the-neighbors-looking? hands on. ;)

It's only pigeon holing if you let one thing dominate your entire life. Hi, I'm Vanessa, here's my pink wardrobe, my pink bedroom, my pink '57 Chevy, my pink powder room and my poodle, Pinkie, who I dyed a lovely shade of . . .turquoise.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I mean pigeon holed as in how some of the other ladies talked about gifts and such. "Oh, she likes X Ill get her an X themed gift." :p

I get that already with art supplies.

LD

Mojito

One Too Many
AllaboutEve said:
Me too, my other half is called Frog (nickname that surpassed his given name many decades ago).

So for me:

Frogs
Lilac flowers
White roses
Fruity things
Anything bird related ........... and the day I find some vintage fabric with wading birds on I think that I'll just die with joy!
I have a soft spot for froggies as well. My sister has frogs as a motif whether she likes it or not - she's innundated with depictions of them as gifts, particularly her beloved tree frogs. She has a herpatology license to keep them, and has housed some that have accidently come down from tropical Queensland with banana shipments. Tree frogs are hugely popular up there, so everyone going North comes back with a frog souveneir of some description for her. I've only given her one frog - a Harmony Kingdom treasure jest box figure of three of them. Quirky and whimsical. Don't know if she liked it, but her daughter adores it.

Newts and salamanders could make a lovely, sinuous intertwining design.

You have to be careful about being closely associated with a hobby or interest lest it become the one note you're known for. I had a friend who was a brilliant rider - she loved horses and often depicted them in art, but by the time we were at the end of high school she confided that she was thoroughly fed up with being associated primarily with her horses. It was the topic of conversation everyone broached with her, the substance of all her gifts, etc.

Minerva

Familiar Face
pin_up_pixie said:
With so many pretty ideas here, I would love to see some of your outfits... peacocks and mermaids especially.

I don't think I have any mermaid-print clothing at the moment, but I do have one charm bracelet that's all mermaid charms. I'm always adding to that if I see another charm I like, and wear that one most of the time. It matches my favourite ring.

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
i really love owls... i have a few necklaces with owl pendants. just something about them attracts me! maybe it's because they look so wise.
i also love peacock feathers. the colors on them are interesting and unique.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Blondie said:
I want to see !
Post a pic pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease ?
I agree with Blondie. Please post pics of your tatoos, jewelry, patterns, etc.
worthlesswithoutpics

Despite the fact that I love the idea of a motif, and reading this thread, I'm afraid I don't have a sole static motif yet. I've had ones that have come and gone, some have stayed, some have just caught my eye... I think I'll have to wait another 5-10 years to answer this one. There's so much left to be discovered...

Mary

Practically Family
I don't have a motif. I like certain colours or cuts in clothes and the shape of things. But then again I would like to have more things with poppies on them! They have such grace.

M

klara

One of the Regulars
Thanks for asking. Here it is, well half of it. I couldn't find a better picture of it.

IMG_0353.jpg

TessTrueheart

cherry lips said:
Please post pics of your tatoos, jewelry, patterns, etc.
worthlesswithoutpics

Well, I have been feeling sick and tired lately so I decided to cheer myself up and by this scarf. Leaves, leaves, leaves!:)
vintage_scarf_autumn_leaves20306.jpg

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
TessTrueheart, what a lovely scarf! It makes me long for autumn even more... (I'm tired of the tropical heat wave, it's not at all as much fun as the Marilyn song.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner