Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Jimmy Stewart as George Bailey in: It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
2610lg8.jpg

His whole look inspires me. To me, that's the penultimate outfit of the GE.

13Irishsailors

New in Town
I know this isnt a movie but I have to admit the first time I started getting excited about hats was when I saw the great ARCHEY BUNKER in All In The Family!

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
scottyrocks,
You make a very good point. The Raiders hat was an INTERPRETATION of the style of the time and as such, liberty's were taken with it's look. As seen in the hats many collectors here on the Forum have from that period, the "Indy" style is VASTLY different from what was worn at that time. Good point :)

I agree with you to a point, Monbla but this vintage ad I found for the very maker of Indy's Raider's Hat shows just how unoriginal Lucas and Spielberg actually were. Right down to the leather jacket and the Hat's crease seemingly robbed directly from this very ad from the 30's.

514_400x400_NoPeel.png

I hope this brings some clarity to the minor debate....

Erik

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
The Shadow:

TheShadowComic01.jpg

Unfortunately the hat generally looks better in print than in a film:

4146-The_Shadow-Mist.jpg

And more unfortunately, it looks better still in a movie than on a real person...not everyone is cut out to be the Shadow!

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I agree with you to a point, Monbla but this vintage ad I found for the very maker of Indy's Raider's Hat shows just how unoriginal Lucas and Spielberg actually were. Right down to the leather jacket and the Hat's crease seemingly robbed directly from this very ad from the 30's.

514_400x400_NoPeel.png

I hope this brings some clarity to the minor debate....

Erik

I don't see any tongue-in-cheek emoticons here. I hope you're not serious.

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
In what way? Enlighten me in my hour of ignorance. Have I misposted?

edited to add: There's even the bloody DC-3 on the ad itself but to my best knowledge and poking around, THIS is a vintage ad so the argument is mute and therefore this style existed pre-Indiana Jones........to a "T"......

edited to further add: "AAAAAAHHH!" :eusa_doh: I see what you mean and I retract my argument altogether. Sorry about the fuss. Further poking around shows this to be an add modification "based" on a vintage Herbert Johnson ad. My apologies and I digress. *shrinks back into cave shamed faced*

Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways!

Erik

Last edited:
The Sting was one of the very first movies I remember seeing in the theatre. I was eight years old and saw it with my Dad at the theatre at Del Amo Fashion Center in Torrance on a rainy afternoon in 1973. I loved the music from the movie and even had the soundtrack album of which I practically wore out the grooves from constant play on my GE portable phonograph! I'm pretty sure that The Sting planted the seeds that eventually led to my love of vintage and the Golden Era.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Yes I too love the movie and the music......

I don't know how many times I have seen that movie, many many.,

I downloaded the theme song "The Entertainer" and I like to play it as I watch The Latest Don't Touch My Hat movies from Wiser Hatter.....:D

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Yes I too love the movie and the music......

I don't know how many times I have seen that movie, many many.,

I downloaded the theme song "The Entertainer" and I like to play it as I watch The Latest Don't Touch My Hat movies from Wiser Hatter.....:D
Good choice of music for that...

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I have to admit I have been sucked in by all this Moonshine hype over the last year or so. My wife and I went to see "Lawless" last night, and [I thought the movie was great!] the hat-wearing was super cool. Tom Hardy had a Whippet-style hat in the colors of my Wellington, but with a really sweet bow, and there were a surprising number of sweet beat up homburgs and Amish hats, too. I'm sufficiently hooked.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I've been messing with my homburgs today. This Carlson is really spectacular, and I put a similar crease in it that was in Tom Hardy's aforementioned fedora, and adjusted the brim significantly. Now it kind of embodies all of my favorite hats in the movie rolled into one!

029lg.jpg

033is.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24