Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Went to go see the new Fantastic Beasts movie tonight (prequel series to Harry Potter). Jude Law plays the titular wizard Albus Dumbledore. Different target demographic than the Lounge, but the film is set in 1932. I'm not an expert in period clothing, but there are some good hats in this movie. The costume designer Colleen Atwood actually won an Oscar for the first movie. In the previous installment he wore a wide ribbon. I didn't notice until I pulled up pics, but it looks like there's some spiral stitching going on.

In this new movie he's wearing a soft felt trilby. There is even a swoopy Hollywood-esque brim in a few shots. I actually think there's a decent chance it's this Lock rollable. I happened to find pics that don't show the bow, but the film hat has the same bow design with rear double bow that has an angled trim.

basbol13

A-List Customer
1650894108227.png

1650894169629.png

John Wayne " The Searchers"

Yahoody

One Too Many
Off topic some. I always liked JW. And for the most really like his signature movie hats. Although never enough to duplicate any of them. They are JW hats in my mind. Never going to be a hat shape/style I'd wear. But "The Searchers" is one of my least favorite movies even though it does get a lot of acclaim.

Never liked his straw or the shape was part of the reason. Historically even the officers in Custer's command wore straws. I wear one all summer But JW's version in "The Searchers" grinds on me every time I see it.

1650903452552.png

Good to see you around @Yahoody and I agree with you except that I enjoy the movie. Don't think I've ever thought about duplicating one of his hats either. Even now, when I see the movie I'm taken aback by JW's straw. It just looks so out of place; more like a plantation hat with a bad brim roll.

Good to see you around @Yahoody and I agree with you except that I enjoy the movie. Don't think I've ever thought about duplicating one of his hats either. Even now, when I see the movie I'm taken aback by JW's straw. It just looks so out of place; more like a plantation hat with a bad brim roll.
Off topic some. I always liked JW. And for the most really like his signature movie hats. Although never enough to duplicate any of them. They are JW hats in my mind. Never going to be a hat shape/style I'd wear. But "The Searchers" is one of my least favorite movies even though it does get a lot of acclaim.

Never liked his straw or the shape was part of the reason. Historically even the officers in Custer's command wore straws. I wear one all summer But JW's version in "The Searchers" grinds on me every time I see it.
I wonder if it is the weave and lack of a ribbon that bother us more....I know the crown had a funky 50's "toaster" crease which I don't think we see much in the movie.....
1650905532278.png
1650905567328.png
1650905588858.png

1650905699751.png

It just looks so out of place; more like a plantation hat with a bad brim roll.

Would have just taken a few minutes to age JW's version in some water and a little dirt
Being a plantation style fits into the time period, being the end of the Civil War & all. But I always thought JW could have stood to lose several pounds for the part. Instead of serving in the Civil War he looks like he spent his time being served steak at Del Monica's Steak House. Not my favorite of his movies either.

Granville

One of the Regulars
Motherless Brooklyn (2019) is why I'm here at Fedora Lounge. Saw it last fall, and, watching as Ed Norton ditches his tweed cap for Bruce Willis' fedora - signifying this forty-year-old was finally stepping up and being a man - I said to myself, "you're sixty years old, it's time you started wearing a man's hat." I've always worn a tweed cap, and baseball caps. Ten years ago I stopped wearing a short-brimmed, low-crowned NY baseball cap I had (think cub scout cap proportions) realizing it looked stupid on a grown man. But this year I stepped up to the kind of hat my dear old dad wore. My memories go back to the sixties, and he rocked the trilby/stingy style. I started with a few Scala hats, a trilby, a homburg, and a 'crushable' fedora for rainy days (all three hats are wool), but then I found out about fur felt and the vintage market and picked up three more trilbies and a very nice fedora. Oh, and I just sent away for another trilby. That's the power of cinema.

Motherless Brooklyn is a good movie, maybe Bruce's last real star-turn (he looks fabulous in what is basically a cameo in spite of his star billing), and a GREAT hat movie. Not only is Bruce's fedora symbolic/thematic, it's also a maguffin and a plot point.

motherlessBrooklyn.jpg MotherlessWillisNorton.jpg
Best line: "I had a sergeant once... in the Bulge... told me, 'sometimes you do everything you're supposed to, and it still all turns to shit.'"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ