Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
OK guys, what do you think of Bob's Pinnacle Edge?
http://www.blacksheephatworks.com/What_s_New.html

And here is a post about it here at the lounge...
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/black-sheep-hat-works.54314/page-51#post-1979057

And here is a FaceBook post from Black Sheep's FB page:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like the real deal to me......I've sent Bob an e-mail....I'll post his response...

Last edited:

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Very interesting
I've heard the legend .... But to see it is another story
I'm going to post what he has to say about this edge as soon as he gets back to me, and he's good about that.....But I do remember when he first came out with it, he said it was very hard to do...so therefore he would only do it on 100% Beaver hats....now he offers it as a Standard Option for $100....

barrowjh

One Too Many
Optimo (Graham's outfit) does an underwelt brim treatment that is really awesome; smooth, understated (not conspicuous). It has been 3 or 4 years since I visited there, and Tiffany handed me a hat to try on, and I said - 'that's nice, do you have any with an over- or underwelt that I could see?' She smiled, pointing out to me that if I had looked closely at the hat I just tried on I would have noticed it was an underwelt. That's a brim treatment done right.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Looks like the real deal to me......I've sent Bob an e-mail....I'll post his response...
I'm sure he'll tell you, it's not a felted edge. If it was, he would have to felt his own bodies - and he's not :)

Neither the text on his own site nor Mike's comment in the thread you linked to points in the direction of a felted edge. I believe it's a very well executed replica - but nothing like the true Cav- or Mode Edge.

The probably last person who mastered the process was a senior employee at Winchester. Some years ago Brad Bowers persuaded him to make one or two bodies in order to document the process. That was possible, as Winchester still had the original machines tugged away. The owners didn't find it economically feasible to reboot the production, though.

Read more here: http://thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-definitive-cavanagh-edge-primer.27312/

Last edited:

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
You'll need at least a 15 cm capeline for that.
I have made a hat like that both in straw and felt.
It's perfectly manageable in felt, you just have to wire the brim so it won't droop.
I know of places where you can buy this in Europe, can't say anything about the US.

@EstherWeis can you please direct me to where I could buy the capeline in Europe (website links would be great)? Also can you elaborate about the wire, what type you need, etc. Sounds like the wire goes around the brim edge in a under welt edge?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner