Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
a couple shots from the Sport Parade (1932)

Marian Marsh, Joel McCrea, & Walter Catlett
soft_parade.png

great shot of Bob Benchley and his fantastic bash and swoop
soft_parade_2.png

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I haven't seen anyone post about this yet but Hulu has a new show that is an 8 part series about travelling back in time to stop the Kennedy Assassination. They do have a few nice hats in the show. So far only one episode in.

One observation I have is that it doesn't seem as though the hats went through a plating machine to break the brim. Instead of a 90 degree angle they kind of gently slope outward.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I watched this remake the other day and loved the hat worn by the main female character. Would love to make one for the wife. Anyone know where you can get a hat body large enough to have a 7+ inch brim on it? I don't think I could get one from Winchester (maybe if I ordered their largest size in Western).

Uncle1.jpg
Uncle2.jpg
Uncle3.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I haven't seen anyone post about this yet but Hulu has a new show that is an 8 part series about travelling back in time to stop the Kennedy Assassination. They do have a few nice hats in the show. So far only one episode in.

One observation I have is that it doesn't seem as though the hats went through a plating machine to break the brim. Instead of a 90 degree angle they kind of gently slope outward.
I haven't seen the show -- it's on Hulu, which means I'd have to pay for it. But I took a quick look at the trailer. Yes, the cars and clothes seem pretty good. In one scene, the hero (James Franco) wears a stingy-brim fedora. Unfortunately the front of the brim looks wavy, as if the owner (or the costume department for the series) stashed the hat someplace where it got out of shape, and nobody has reworked it.

Having read the novel, more than once (it's dynamite!), I'll say that Franco is a good choice for the lead. He looks especially good with his hair cut and groomed a la 1962, and in shirt and tie. But then, as we know here, so do most men.

Last edited:

One of the Regulars
I hope this is the right thread for this question. Does anybody know which Akubra the villain wears in Wolf Creek? Looks like it could be an Akubra Border to me.

1400168705000-wolf.JPG
th-Wolf-Creek-2.jpg
4.png

One of the Regulars
That's true, they must have dragged it around behind a ute for miles to get that much character. This is the Border for those who don't remember it.
e0sw0z.jpg

Sadly no longer made. In fact they stopped making it just before I decided I couldn't live without one. It even came in my favourite Akubra colour Tanbark brown Anyway judging from the crown shape in the screen cap taken from behind the actor and the flattened looking sides, I'm thinking this is the one they used to create the gnarly lid the bad guy's wearing

Last edited:

EstherWeis

Vendor
I watched this remake the other day and loved the hat worn by the main female character. Would love to make one for the wife. Anyone know where you can get a hat body large enough to have a 7+ inch brim on it? I don't think I could get one from Winchester (maybe if I ordered their largest size in Western).

View attachment 44717 View attachment 44718 View attachment 44719

You'll need at least a 15 cm capeline for that.
I have made a hat like that both in straw and felt.
It's perfectly manageable in felt, you just have to wire the brim so it won't droop.
I know of places where you can buy this in Europe, can't say anything about the US.

Last edited:

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
I think he had a hand bashed teardrop (C-crown) in most of his films, including Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep. It can't really be called a C-crown since it is hand bashed and the C shape is not as perfect as a factory shaped hat.
I was checking his Maltese Falcon hat out once, and it definitely had a very deep dianond bash....I've seen him wear a diamond quite a bit....But it does appear to be a c crown from many perspectives...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ