Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
Thought this might be appropriate for Opening Day.
12523970_1226207487399027_4629009062974653177_n.jpg

Fruno, the Duke did play for USC.

As a casual baseball fan, the Reds are one of the teams I used to follow. How do they look this year?

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
Nice, I'm sure The Duke actually swung the bat a few times in his life. He payed football for USC, right?

Incidentally, Opening Day is tomorrow, as baseball season does not truly start until the first pitch is thrown in Cincinnati.
Yeah, The Duke looks like he knows what he's doing with the bat. Strange, but I don't seem to recall any movies in which he was a sports figure, except, of course, for The Quiet Man, where he was a retired boxer. Maybe others here can enlighten me?

And I live close enough to Cincy that I should have known when Opening Day really starts. I was in high school when the Big Red Machine was at its zenith. For our family vacation we would stay at the downtown Stouffer's hotel, where the visiting team always stayed, and walk down to Riverfront for the game. What fond memories!

Fruno, the Duke did play for USC.

As a casual baseball fan, the Reds are one of the teams I used to follow. How do they look this year?

(sigh) Not so hot. We have lost so much good pitching since 2014, and that's so important. Hoping for a good year for Votto, and a healthy year for Mesoraco. They did whip up on the Buccos yesterday in the last preseason, 13 - 6.

Hope springs eternal on Opening Day, though. One of the beauties of The Game. And though I always want them to do well, it doesn't affect my fandom. They can be in the cellar, 27 games back on the last day of the season; I still want them to win and want to be in the ballpark. I've never understood folks who are fickle and dump their team if they're not doing well. I've been following the Reds since I was a blastocyst. Who the hell else am I ever going to root for?

Yeah, The Duke looks like he knows what he's doing with the bat. Strange, but I don't seem to recall any movies in which he was a sports figure, except, of course, for The Quiet Man, where he was a retired boxer. Maybe others here can enlighten me?

And I live close enough to Cincy that I should have known when Opening Day really starts. I was in high school when the Big Red Machine was at its zenith. For our family vacation we would stay at the downtown Stouffer's hotel, where the visiting team always stayed, and walk down to Riverfront for the game. What fond memories!

I am blessed in that I can leave my house and have my fanny in a seat and a Big Red Smoky in my mouth within 90 minutes. I'll be there next Friday to see them play Pittsburgh. I never miss Schedule Magnet Day!! :D:D

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Antonio De Curtis aka Totò https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totò very often wear hat in movies and in private life
wb9v6a.jpg

These pictures are from very popular Italian movies of the 50' and 60'
2dln8dg.jpg

He his with character actors, some of them fantastic as Peppino de Filippo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppino_De_Filippo
15robyb.jpg

2qda3a9.jpg

Another character, Mario Castellani, that worked many time with Totò
15fgbhl.jpg

"In the division of roles, usually the comic has always been the weakest subject, the bumbling, incapable of movement, the gestures, slow to understand.

The shoulder has always had rather the opposite role. He had to re-balance the abnormality of the comic, it absorbs its abstractness, rationalize behavior. Often resorting to abuse, physical and psychological.

This is the relationship between the comic and the shoulder. Consider, among many pairs of comedians, a Laurel and Hardy (Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy), to Abbott and Costello (Bud Abbot and Lou Costello), Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis.

Well with Toto the relationship changes radically. Capsizes. The "abusive" is the comic and who suffers is the shoulder. The comedy of Toto is not born more by the contrast between normal and abnormal.

Toto makes ridiculous reality. In this sense his humor is unique, totally innovative. Aggressive humor to defuse the senselessness of the real.

Thus conceived the report, it was hard to be his "shoulder". And not only for the role reversal.

Toto was unpredictable, improvised. Set a scene, a sequence at the time of realization changed everything, said lines other than those agreed, it did make different actions than those laid down.

And the shoulder touched keep up with him, support him, provide him the necessary support to make effective his one-liners. In short, figure it out on the fly.
And they need professional quality and instinctive to burn in an instant; it was necessary to be vigilant, careful to prevent Toto stole the "time", the rebate space and confinasse shoulder role to little more than a presence.
Working with Toto became, for an actor worthy of respect, an exciting opportunity, a moment of confrontation, almost a competition with yourself to stay at the level of the great Neapolitan comic"

I like the way those men wear their hats! And from the description you give, it sounds like this gentleman pioneered what we now call "improv." Many of the same things have been said by those who have worked with Tim Conway, Robin Williams, et al.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buler

I'll Lock Up
I'd forgot about that hat. Thanks, Alan. I don't really remember seeing the contrasting undertrim except for the full satin underbrim hats from Greentree.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters