Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I watched Farewell, My Lovely with Robert Mitchum as Phillip Marlowe last night on Amazon Prime. What a grand parade of hats. My fav was the Dobbs? Knox? that Mitchum wore. Looks like Taupe/Natural felt with a brownish/burgundy wide ribbon and a felted edge. But all the men wore hats and they were great.

You tube trailer:

i-Lpzcsf3-L.jpg

i-qcFxNfb-L.jpg

i-QcsXFJj-L.jpg

Tukwila

Nicholson in Two Jakes. Best I can tell from watching the movie is his hat has steel felt with a grey-to-charcoal ribbon, depending on the light. The groundskeeper wears a coconut palm, and Harvey Keitel wears a nice brown hat and a straw on the golf course that has a star shaped set of ventilation holes in the crown. Very cool follow-up to Chinatown and another fantastic flick for hat lovers.

i-M3zBvD8-L.jpg

i-bFzJRS4-L.jpg

i-m5v6WMg-L.jpg

i-hT7mM6b-L.jpg

i-qGtzZtC-L.jpg

i-QTw4mHV-M.jpg

i-5FHTRq3-L.jpg

i-CsZbqFS-L.jpg

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I've probably mentioned it before but what the heck......if I don't remember then neither will you. :D

' Absaroka' (2010) a strange little western short only 15 minutes long & even if the acting & dialogue are on the shakey side, the production values are superb. If you like westerns, stunning scenery beautifully shot, great costumes & lotsa cool hats (made by The Montana Peaks Hat Co.) & not forgetting summary justice, then you'll love this. There is a great copy on TouYube which I've posted further down for when you've got a quarter of an hour to spare.;)
1e8ae818-58c2-11df-a88b-001cc4c002e0.image.jpg

55382eff28528.image.jpg

Tukwila

I'm curious what about the hats makes you speculate Dobbs or Knox vs any other brand. Unless I see something definitively recognizable, like a Gay Prince or something, I can't tell the difference from the exterior.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
Just a guess, Jim, based on viewing the movie and seeing a lot more shots of the hat. The thing I love about streaming video is the ability to rewind, hit pause, etc, to get good views of the hats and the great bashes. The felted edge, the blocking, brim width, but especially the twisted bow-keep make me think Knox, Dobbs or older Stetson. Of course, as you suggest, it could be most any vintage hat with a felted edge.

We need to see yours!!

Mine probably don't qualify as Movie Hats. These two do (at least tangentially).

Another "Hopalong". Sold for $1,375 at auction.

Valentine_William_Boyd_1.jpg

Valentine_William_Boyd_2.jpg

Valentine_William_Boyd_3.jpg

Valentine_William_Boyd_4.jpg

This one for John Ford. Sold for $5,377.50 at auction.

Valentine_John_Ford_1.jpg

Valentine_John_Ford_2.jpg

If you want two see the two I have you can go here:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/western-anyone.24539/page-201#post-2235138

And here (this one was a gift from Bowen to my wife):

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-hat-are-you-wearing-today.19520/page-8069#post-2365861

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Mine probably don't qualify as Movie Hats. These two do (at least tangentially).

Another "Hopalong". Sold for $1,375 at auction.

View attachment 137235

View attachment 137236

View attachment 137237

View attachment 137238

This one for John Ford. Sold for $5,377.50 at auction.

View attachment 137239

View attachment 137240

If you want two see the two I have you can go here:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/western-anyone.24539/page-201#post-2235138

And here (this one was a gift from Bowen to my wife):

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-hat-are-you-wearing-today.19520/page-8069#post-2365861
Hey Bob:
Thanks for re-posting those. I remember reading all that reference material but lost track of where it was. Having something in digital form is not the same as having hard copy. The Picasso/Cooper deal sealed it for me going for mine. Figure Pablo knew a hat when he saw one!! Lol
I said somewhere i got mine via Goodwill, in error. I somehow got it outta eBay.
Maybe we can see a side by side of your Lady and yours sometime.
B

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I watched Farewell, My Lovely with Robert Mitchum as Phillip Marlowe last night on Amazon Prime. What a grand parade of hats. My fav was the Dobbs? Knox? that Mitchum wore. Looks like Taupe/Natural felt with a brownish/burgundy wide ribbon and a felted edge. But all the men wore hats and they were great.

You tube trailer:

i-Lpzcsf3-L.jpg

i-qcFxNfb-L.jpg

i-QcsXFJj-L.jpg

The original version to that movie was "Murder My Sweet", (1944), with Dick Powell as Philip Marlowe. It also starred Claire Trevor and Mike Mazurki, (as Moose Malloy). Check out Mazurki's Whippet style hat. He also sported a nice looking thin ribbon at the start of the movie. Mazurki has my vote for Film Noir's most intimidating Heavy.

murder_my_sweet.jpg

Last edited:
The original version to that movie was "Murder My Sweet", (1944), with Dick Powell as Philip Marlowe. It also starred Claire Trevor and Mike Mazurki, (as Moose Malloy). Check out Mazurki's Whippet style hat. He also sported a nice looking thin ribbon at the start of the movie. Mazurki has my vote for Film Noir's most intimidating Heavy.

murder_my_sweet.jpg

I wouldn't want to get on his bad side:eek:

Moviehats

One of the Regulars
Already 86° with 63% humidity. Staying indoors and caught a little of this. Probably posted here before.

"The Quick and the Dead"
View attachment 138533 View attachment 138534 View attachment 138535 View attachment 138537 View attachment 138538 View attachment 138539 View attachment 138540
View attachment 138541
My hat making teacher wasn't too happy because he made Sharon Stone a nice hat for this and she wanted him to make the "Cattleman's Crease" hat you see in the film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points