1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Movie hats

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Michaelshane, Feb 8, 2009.

1. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Well now that's pretty friggin' cool!

Based on these pictures I think I like it better on the Stetson (on the drum]. But I'll have to see it in person on each hat, of course. I'll post pictures in this thread for some input.

Tukwila and Zombie_61 like this.
  2. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I tried to make the ribbons in both photos the same shade/hue of burgundy for comparison, but I agree that particular color works better on the Stetson. I've never seen Akubra's Carbon Gray in person, but if it's as dark as most people say it is maybe a darker burgundy would look better?

scottyrocks likes this.
  3. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  4. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I have to admit, though, that I really like the earthy undertone of Mitchum's hat with the ribbon that's on it.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. Tukwila

Tukwila One Too Many

It's kind of a brownish burgundy, isn't it? And, to me at least, the felt looks like more of a granite or taupe color than a straight up grey.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  6. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Yes, I think so. As most of the movie is in the dark, it was hard to tell exactly what was going on there, colorwise.

There were a couple of pictures posted in one of these threads that were taken in daylight that show what are probably the truest colors of the felt and ribbon. I have a feeling that replicating both exactly will be next to impossible, so I am looking for a decent match of the ribbon I get to one of my gray hats.

I do have a toupey colored hat in my possession, a pristine VS, but I loathe to removing its original ribbon, as I feel it would be sacrilegious to do so, especially given the finite nature of new hats from Art. But regardless, I will lay the new ribbon onto this hat just to see how well it goes.

7. Tukwila

Tukwila One Too Many

On the VS hat, you might ask Art if he has any ribbon similar to the Mitchum hat and have him do the alteration.... just an idea that would keep it 100% VS.

scottyrocks and Zombie_61 like this.
  8. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I had thought about that. I will wait until I get some burgundy ribbon in my hands to place on the hat before deciding whether this, or which hat will be the one.

9. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. Watched an old favorite over the weekend, "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" from the great Sam Peckinpah era. Great hats worn by the main characters; there will never be another James Coburn. The release of Bob Dylan's "Knocking on Heavens Door", a scene with Slim Pickens & Katy Jurado which still tugs at the emotions.

IMG_2121.JPG

IMG_2123.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

IMG_2122.JPG

IMG_2125.JPG

11. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

That's a great one, HJ. Pat Garrett, just one of many great law enforcement officers to hail from Alabama.

12. Great move, great music!

Zombie_61 likes this.
  13. I think Dylan once said in an interview that "Knocking..." has probably made the most money from his song book because of all the artists who have recorded it.

I always liked his bit part & contribution to "Gods and Generals" also.

14. New trailer just released.

15. ^^^^^ Can't wait @Hurricane Jack ! Also diggin' the Colter Wall music.

[​IMG]

16. I'll be looking for a way to stream it since I don't have HBO any longer.

Was looking to see if Bullock ever wore a flat crowned hat late in his life. This seemed to be his favorite style.

IMG_2246.JPG

17. jlee562

jlee562 My Mail is Forwarded Here

You'll be able to get it on HBO Now, which is their standalone streaming service.

Tukwila and Hurricane Jack like this.
  18. Thanks Jared. I'm normally an a la carte kind of guy but I'll have to look into their programming beyond the 7-day free trial. Of course I'll plan my free trial to coincide with the premier of Deadwood.

I hate going into the city for anything but I just got tickets for the anniversary showing of Sam Peckinpah's "The Wild Bunch" in the same theater of it's world premier 50 yrs ago. It would be a lot less trouble to just stay home & watch my DVD.

IMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2248.JPG

19. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

But not as much fun as seeing it on the big screen, again. I envy you. Great movie.

Zombie_61, Tukwila and Hurricane Jack like this.
  20. I have the Director's cut DVD from the 40th anniversary so I have all the outtakes & interviews. But I'm sure I will enjoy hearing what others have to say; it's always fun.

Zombie_61, Tukwila and Bamaboots like this.