Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

Great pic of John Wayne on a Honda taken in 1970 on the set of Big Jake. Remember their slogan, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda"?

IMG_2398.JPG

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I walked in to eat lunch and the TV was on to an OTA local channel that shows old movies. The Fuller Brush Girl with Lucille Ball and Eddie Albert was on. It had ample fedoras but what caught my eye was the creases. There were some mob baddies and they had the front crest of crown as high as the crown would allow and the back crown crease low and straight across to make a triangle and to make the crown as wide as possible. Were the exaggerated bashes for theatrical effect or was that a legit shape of hat that thugs of the day wore to denote who they were?

I started watching a movie last night I don't think I've ever seen before, The Greatest Show on Earth (1952), starring Charlton Heston "and a cast of thousands." It is, after all, a Cecil B. Demille movie!

The beginning of the movie was fun, as it shows the Ringling Brothers & Barnum & Bailey Circus setting up the Big Top for the performance. You get to see a lot of working men wearing their hats on the job while performing the work. My wife laughed at me when I got excited during the overhead shots because I could see the creases, LOL. Unfortunately, I could not find any photos of that sequence.

Mr. Heston wears a nice bound edge, Whippet-y type of fedora (that's Jimmy Stewart on Heston's left in the first shot).

download (3).jpg
images (5).jpg

This last photo is a picture of the film crew working on the movie on site in Florida.

JJS0288.jpg

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I started watching a movie last night I don't think I've ever seen before, The Greatest Show on Earth (1952), starring Charlton Heston "and a cast of thousands." It is, after all, a Cecil B. Demille movie!

The beginning of the movie was fun, as it shows the Ringling Brothers & Barnum & Bailey Circus setting up the Big Top for the performance. You get to see a lot of working men wearing their hats on the job while performing the work. My wife laughed at me when I got excited during the overhead shots because I could see the creases, LOL. Unfortunately, I could not find any photos of that sequence.

Mr. Heston wears a nice bound edge, Whippet-y type of fedora (that's Jimmy Stewart on Heston's left in the first shot).

View attachment 304982 View attachment 304981

This last photo is a picture of the film crew working on the movie on site in Florida.

View attachment 304980
I've seen that movie tons of times and it's always worth watching again. Great movie!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk